Waiting for the phone to ring.

Waiting for the phone to ring.

A Story by Johnnie
"

About the girl who waits for the phone to ring while the guy is not calling her because of the rules from the MAN-CODE.

"
Have you ever waited for the phone to ring? Either obvious of the law that a watched telephone never rings, or simply blatantly ignoring the fact, and believing that in your heart of hearts that you are different and therefore, the cliche' doesn't apply to you.

At least these days we have mobile phones and cellular phones, so we can take them with us everywhere we go. And we do, (Ahem,yes, I'm talking to you, using my cell phone at the cinema in the middle of the movie) Ensuring that we never miss as much a call, a text, or heaven forbid,even a tweet.

One wonders whether it wasn't perhaps a single girl sitting alone at night waiting for the phone to ring,who first had the idea of the cell phone? Necessity is after the mother of invention.

In the old days we didn't have it as easy as we have it today .Not only did we have to and from school uphill in the rain everyday, watching out for dinosaurs along the way , but we also couldn't leave the house if we were waiting for a call.Even five minutes out to go to the loo was a risky business. Unless the stretched, twirly cord of your phone reached that far ours didn't.

Showering was also a risk. A ringing telephone could easily be missed over the sound of the running water and showering was doubly dangerous because everyone knows that the second you get in and lather up your head with shampoo and your face with soap, the phone is ten thousand million times more likely to ring. Sometimes one almost considered taking almost ones clothes climbing into the shower and lathering up whether you need shower or not. Just to try cause Murphy to make the phone ring.

There's also times when you have to pop out to buy milk, or run the dog to the patch of grass, you would do it fast as you could, urging the dog to poop faster, goddammit, so you could go back home again.

Other symptoms of an extended telephone check out included picking up the phone at random intervals to ensure there was dialing tone. Or phoning a friend or the electronic clock just to check if the phone was still working. And when the phone eventually rang, it was never who you were hoping for and you'd find yourself irrationally annoyed with the caller for tying up the line.

The caller on the other hand , often has no idea that he's being waited by the callee over there,at his house, on the other side of the twirly telephone cord. He simply gets in with his daily routine. The truth is that on day one he desperately wanted to call ,but his rules have been passed down to him in our MAN-CODE for centuries and he's been told he's under no circumstance allowed to call you we. As guys we have to hold up till day five at least.

On day two,he still has quite the urge to call , but everything he knows tells him it's too soon. Unfortunately,by the time day five rolls around , something shiny ,new or electrical has caught his eye and he's been distracted. Although somewhere deep,deep in the back of his mind,buried under the memory of a great burger he once had he has the strangest nagging feeling that there was something he was meant to do that day but its natural with us boys we just can't remember some little things like phone numbers.

© 2011 Johnnie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on November 19, 2011
Last Updated on November 19, 2011

Author

Johnnie
Johnnie

Cape Town, Western Province, South Africa



About
There's more to tell about me but most will get to know me as we go along.Otherwise great sense of humour is my middle name! more..

Writing