Lost Kin

Lost Kin

A Story by Jordan Jones
"

Family Affairs

"

Walking deeper into the ghostly villages, owls hooting, street lights staticing and mother nature and her creative creatures gawking at me into the night, I know I made huge mistake stepping into the wrong side of town. But the thrill of doing something that was wrong and what a Princess shouldn’t do, makes me even more anxious so see what’s in store.

Rumor has it the neighborhood Enchantress is magical. She can see your future, what you’re thinking; you know, the usual.  I had to check it out. My parents, the King and Queen of the Kingdom, never let me go out. I snuck out just for a few others and do my own thing for a change.

Huge statues of demons, angels with horns, a black picket fence, and a graveyard with names that look pretty common greeted me in the Enchantress’s front yard. I didn’t pay any mind to it. I knew exactly where I was. Hell.

I walked towards the front door anxiously, shaking, my heart beating at least 100 mph, my sweat freezing my skin due to the cool fog swarming the house. I gently knocked on the door. It was already cracked open. The smell was terrible. “I think there’s a graveyard inside.” I thought to myself. “Here goes nothing.”

“Come on in, suga.’ Bev has been waitin’ for you, honey,” the enchantress says with her seductivevoice. Shockingly, she is beautiful.

“Hi,” I say with my voice shaking.

“Oh, baby, don’t be scared of me. I ain’t gonna hurt cha,” she saysas she lights her cigarette. “Now what can I do for you?,” She caresses my cheek with her wrinkled hands.

“Um, I just want my palms read.”

“Ahh, I see you’re a curious young thang, ain’t ya?” She starts looking at me like I’m a fresh piece of sliced meat seasoned and ready to be slapped on a sizzling grill.

“Maybe this isn’t a good idea. I-I-I’ll just leave. Oka-a-ay?”

She chuckles wickedly.  “Child, sit down an’ relax.”

“Okay, let’s just get this over with.”

“Atta’ girl.” She takes another drag of her menthol cigarette, exhaling across my face.

“Palm reading, palm reading,” she mumbles to herself.

“What does my future hold? Hello?” She won’t answer me. I am beginning to get annoyed and believe it is all bullshit.

“Hahahaha, just like ha,” she said deviously.

“Who! What are you talking about, lady?!”

“Ha, just like your conceited mother. Prolly’ perfect, rich, showerin’ in gold, never do nothin’ wrong, huh? Have men all over you, bowing down to you for absolutely nothing!! Oh, let’s not forget the bad influenced, ugly sista’ that can’t amount to nothin’ but bein’ an old maid!! ‘Bev, do this!’ ‘Bev, what in the hell is wrong with you?’ ‘Bev, why can’t you be like your great sister?’” She falls to her knees crying long strides of tears, panicking like she is on fire. But why is she referring to my mother? How did she even know her?

She stands over me with flames blazing out of her shivering hands. She points her fingertips straight at me, sparks pouring onto me and stinging my my skin. She grows taller and taller, breaking the ceiling in her own chambers, the fire coming from her skin lighting up the entire sky. I begin begging for own life, scared that I was the next life she was going to sacrifice.

“PLEASE! I AM BEGGING YOU! I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING! PLEASE STOP!!!” I scream to the top of my lungs. We are so far into the woods no one can even have a thought of hearing me.

“I’ve always hated my sister, and you are just a reflection of her,” she cries.


All I remember is lights striking down onto me as I wake up from a huge coma. The comfort of my bed makes me feel safe, as my parents standing over me watching me wake up “Kelly? Kelly? Are you okay?”

I can still feel my aunt’s putrid touch on my cheek and wonder if her hand left evidence of our visit. How can I ask the questions? Why didn’t they tell me I had a devilish aunt? Scared for my life, I am left just wishing I could sleep back into my coma, hoping it was all just a nightmare.

© 2015 Jordan Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on December 15, 2015
Last Updated on December 15, 2015
Tags: family

Author

Jordan Jones
Jordan Jones

O'Fallon, MO



Writing
Haiku Haiku

A Poem by Jordan Jones


Firearms Firearms

A Story by Jordan Jones