The Town

The Town

A Story by J.Lafferty
"

Three friends go to an island that is suppose to not exist to find the real mystery behind the giant wall in the ocean.

"
The town that never existed, well at least this is what they wanted us to think. There was this remote island off the coast of a small town in Rhode island. That was said to be one of the most mysterious islands of the coast, if you asked people around the town most will tell you it doesn't exist. The island can only be reached by boat and still it's very hard to get to. It's surrounded by rocks and past that is a giant wall, with only one way in and that's the main security building on the edge of it. We tried to fly drones over it from a far distance, but I'm not sure if it was the sea wind or if they are jamming out drones because we never can get them to fly back and the live feed cuts off. 
  
 We were in this remote and somewhat unsettling town for about 2 months with not  one piece of evidence of what might be over that wall. Most nut jobs think its some alien base. The guys that I am with seem to think that it's a military base, they ask me what I think it is and what I want it to be. I just answer with I don't know. ]

It was about one week before we planned to go back home  and we finally caught a break and found some old guy with a beat up fishing boat and a little raft that he said would make it past the rocks. We met him at the docks at around 6am, jumped on his boat and took off. He told us about ghost stories and weird things about the area that only a crazy person would believe, but we still all listened because he was giving us a free ride in a very dangerous part of the sea. We came up on the island and the giant rocks surrounding it, he pulled out this old raft that must have been patched a dozen times he throws it in the water and said, Well here you are good luck boys. The 3 of us jumped on the raft and took off towards the island. The old man said he would be back at this time tomorrow. 
 
Despite the danger, we made it through the rock forest and to land. And wow that wall was huge, we noticed something strange there seemed to be no cameras or alarms around the wall, there were no guards on the wall or even at the security station. We made our way to the door and checked it, we were surprised when it opened right up. Jack walked in first he was filming the whole thing, then went Cody he was the alien nut and of course me the only one who hasn't made up his mind to what might be in here. We walked up a set of stairs directly to the right of the door, must have gone up at least 10 flights of stairs until we hit the top. It was kinda odd when we got up there it was just a bunch of gates and levers. Like some kind of puzzle. I walked up to the closest one and pulled the lever it made a loud thud, but it looked like nothing changed, I pushed on the gate, but it wouldn't budge. I pushed the lever this time and tried the gate it opened this time. Cody was freaking out and not the bad freak out he was so ecstatic he thought this was some kind of alien test to be accepted in their family or cult, he didn't care. He pulled out a notepad and  was trying to map out the room and figure out if there was any type of pattern to this weird maze. We all stayed close so we didn't get split up when the gates locked. Cody was the one leading and furiously writing down lines, numbers and some weird stuff trying to figure out this puzzle. It took him almost2 hours, but he finally got it, we made it to the last gate and pulled the lever. It unlocked and we walked in. We made it to the farthest room it was overlooking what was held behind the giant wall. Let me just say none of us was ready for what was there. It wasn't aliens or an army or even a jail this place seemed like it was a whole new world. 

© 2015 J.Lafferty


Author's Note

J.Lafferty
First part of this short or long story i have been wanting to write. I know the grammar and punctuation is not perfect. But this was a dream i had and it was really vivid i recently had another dream that took me back to this place and lets just say it was was really wild and would be more of a weird horror story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on December 11, 2015
Last Updated on December 13, 2015
Tags: Mystery, exploration

Author

J.Lafferty
J.Lafferty

Duncansville, PA



About
I am a 25 year old from a small place in Pennsylvania surrounded by trees and buildings. I have some of the craziest dreams at night and they get put in to my work all the time. I have never posted my.. more..