To Write or Not to Write

To Write or Not to Write

A Story by Journeyed Soul

Why do I write? I was recently asked by someone I have come to highly respect how it is I find the energy to write as I do. Keep in mind that I write in many other venues than just this one. I had to think about this perplexing consideration. This person forced me to look at myself. The why of me. I know that we all have things that get in the way of life and finding the time to do the things we hold with passion is difficult… let alone the energy. Usually, by the time you have the time to do that which is enjoyed �" you no longer have the drive and sometimes it makes the passion gray. Yet, somehow, I find that drive to write. Not just to write but to get better at my writing craft. I find that editing my work and doing revisions and taking critiques can be much more draining than actually writing.

So why do it? Why push through the pain and exhaustion and pressure to produce written dialogues flowing out of my active mind? Sleep would be better.

I can’t help it. I have to write. The passion I have for writing and getting better at writing is foremost in my heart. It also allows my mind to escape from the regular stresses in my life. I get lost on the page and trenched into the words. I stop thinking about the chaos of the world around me, I am able to lessen my worry over a declining health. At times, my chronic illness symptoms back burners the forefront of thought when I am lost in my passion. I can’t let the burden of living get in the way of the love for creating.

Some days, yes, I have nothing and can’t get past the pain in my hands, neck, head, back and legs to even consider being creative. On those days though, I miss it �" greatly! I do not go more than a day without at least writing something. A paragraph of trivial ideas, the idea for a poem, a stanza of free thought, a list of the words I want to use in my next writing, or just a list for the grocery store. I need to keep my mind in action.

I don’t claim to be a great writer. I am learning though and think somewhere in me is the raw talent. This is probably the driving passion. Any artist will tell you they have to do what it is that is their passion. It has a living, breathing life of it’s own. It’s a place to escape from the redundancy of whatever is going on in your life. Please follow your passion. Take time even if you have to force time to exert yourself into your passion. Consider it a workout for the soul. If we do not exercise our soul with the passions of the heart, then why are we here on this planet? It does not matter what your passion is, but please get busy giving that passion some exercise. You will find that passion comes in many forms and creates a kinda of list of importance. It’s the gym of life; the workout that cannot be made into an infomercial; and ultimately… good for you. Got Passion?

© 2013 Journeyed Soul


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on March 16, 2013
Last Updated on March 16, 2013

Author

Journeyed Soul
Journeyed Soul

Kenosha, WI



About
I have seen life from many different viewpoints. I like to write to share my experiences - reading others work allows me to share in their experience. more..

Writing