The day I met Johnny Unitas

The day I met Johnny Unitas

A Story by Judy
"

A fans true adventure

"

  Every spring my husband, Bernie, and I always took off work for the Orioles Opening Day Game at Memorial Stadium.

  It was April of 1970, and I was twenty-one years old.  Bernie could always get great seats.  This year we were in the center seventh row, directly behind home plate.  As the game progressed, we noticed Johnny Unitas was setting four rows in fronts of us, in the WBAL box seats.  He was laughing and appeared to be with the two other men seated next of him.

  During the game, people were coming up to him and asking for his autograph.  They did not mob him. Each person respectfully approached him, and it was very low key.  It seemed to me, he was quietly holding court.  Each time a fan approached, he would smile and discretely place his cup of National Bo under his seat.  He would sign each persons program or just say hello with a warm smile or handshake.

  Bernie kept bugging me to go and get an autograph.  I kept telling him no, I was too shy to boldly approach such a super star.  During the seventh inning stretch, I got up and walked into the aisle.  Bernie shoved me down the steps, and before I knew it I was standing directly in front of Johnny.

All I remember was staring at him, speechless.  He had the bluest eyes I had ever seen.  His hair was cut like my brothers; one of those short wiffel cuts with the front slicked up with that sticky stuff.  He had the most genuine smile.  He was talking to me, but I could not hear one word he said.  My ears were ringing, and all I could hear was my own heartbeat.  The next thing I knew he had pulled me down on his lap!  I was sitting on Johnny Unitas lap!  He asked me my name and took my baseball program out of my hand.  He wrote, To Judy~ best always Johnny U, and kissed my left cheek.

  I floated back to my seat, and I don’t remember anything about the rest of the ball game.  I did not wash my cheek for a week.  

(Post Script: During my divorce, my signed program mysteriously disappeared from my scrapbook. Image that.)

 

 

Judy M .Crouse

May 3, 2009

 

© 2010 Judy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yeah, he was a real peach.

Posted 14 Years Ago


That sure wasn't very nice of your ex. You have the memory, though, and no one can touch that.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 10, 2010
Last Updated on January 11, 2010
Previous Versions