Paris, My Love

Paris, My Love

A Story by Judy Basmaji

I dream of words, so precise and unique, that can describe a crunching leaf or a grain of sand so well, you can recognize it when you see it. Words that are so specific, they can only apply to a single splash of rain, and preserve it within their letters always, capture the sensation of each droplet that pecks at my skin as the heavens weep for the aching beauty of Paris. 
I don't mean the Paris strangers seek at the top of the Eiffel Tower, but the Paris one stumbles upon in a tiny old apartment hidden in the corners of the city, the Paris that shies away from the crowds of the day and peeks out in the dead of the night. Surrounded by worn edges of yellowing paper, and wearied walls that have become moist with humanity's sighs, I can feel the fading past clinging to the present. I can feel the rage of war as I walk the beaches of Normandy, the chaos of creativity as I stroll through the chambers of the Louvre. I can hear the whispers of history in every crack in the concrete and every rustle of the leaves.
Sitting on the balcony, hidden by the darkness of the cloudy sky, the bittersweet cold, the light spray of rain and the soft soothing winds tickle my face, and the quiet is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. For a moment, I can feel the life that has passed by this place in an infinite number of minutes and hours and days. I can see the scars time has left in old Paris, and I can feel God's voice vibrate through the immortal city. And I swear, for a moment, I am utterly and unequivocally happy. 

© 2013 Judy Basmaji


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a stunning, beautifully written literary homage, Judy, a prose poem as I see it forged out of love for the greatest and most adored city of recent times, I love it; and it perfectly captures - with the richest and most gorgeous imagery - the mysterious and it seems more often than not lifelong love that Paris inspires in some. It certainly has me, and it delights me to read of my most beloved city celebrated here so exquisitely.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Judy Basmaji

10 Years Ago

Wow, that is perhaps one of the most motivational reviews I've received so far! I don't know what it.. read more
Carl Halling

10 Years Ago

My pleasure, Judy.
I love this. I spent some time in Paris myself for a tutorship. I spent the last two years in France, but most of it was on the island of Corsica, a far cry from the winding streets of Paris. You describe it well. Its the Paris I remember. I miss it, I won't lie. I only just moved back to the States a few days ago. I hate to bother you but I would be honored if you'd read some of my work. Notably my story Journal Entry 1 and You Helped Me Breathe.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Knightingale

10 Years Ago

It was my pleasure. France in general is amazing. I travelled quite a lot before I ended up in Franc.. read more
Judy Basmaji

10 Years Ago

Oh no, I'm not Parisian which is why, I suppose, I am so enchanted by Paris. Wow two years :o I hope.. read more
Knightingale

10 Years Ago

You have to just seize it. Yeah I had plenty of moments where I wasn't sure what I was going to do, .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 3, 2013
Last Updated on August 3, 2013

Author

Judy Basmaji
Judy Basmaji

London, Ontario, Canada



Writing