Rose

Rose

A Story by Dallas Rose
"

"

I sit here, feeling empty and broken on the end of this slightly lit up dock. I stuff my hands into the pockets of my jean jacket that are torn from the number of times I've shoved my fists into them. I slouch because I’m not trying to impress anyone; he's not coming anymore. I just try to enjoy what's left of the night. The crisp chill air is refreshing and the water is strangely warm; I haven't dipped my feet in for a while, it feels calming. With the dark forest across the lake, I feel less lonely, knowing that there are plenty creatures perhaps feeling the same way I do. I look down again into the water and see my dark reflection. My short hair framing my worn out face streaked with dried tears. I look tired. Yet I don't want to sleep. I splash my foot to create ripples so I won't have to face myself any longer. Maybe if I just slide under and hold it in then everything would be better. I can feel my face get warm and wet again as I begin to slide forward, more of my legs getting submerged in water.

“You know you want to do this, don't hesitate” I hear his voice. I stiffen up with anger and clench my hands into fists, ripping even bigger holes into my pocket.

“Get away from me! This has got to stop!” I shout. My tears coming down now like a waterfall. He forces me to back away from the edge of the dock while I have no control.

“Might as well accept he’s not coming back for you too,” He says calmly.

“Please just let me go!” I spit on every word and struggle to break free from his grasp. My nails dig in deep and scratch, while I can feel the pain, it makes no difference. “Let me go! Let me go!” I repeat over and over. I crawl on the wood, screaming, scratching yet nothing works. I feel as is every noise and every action I make is muffled and no one can hear me nor see me. Then, I feel thumps on the wood my head was resting on, they were quick and unsteady. I could feel someone's warm hands on my face.

“Rose!” I hear him say. The voice so kind and familiar; I want to get closer to him but I can’t move. I open my eyes and everything is blurry; I can barely see his face through the tears.

“Calm down. You’re ok now. I’m here,” He says. I want to believe him but that can never be true.

“Help me, please. Please,” I whisper. Slowly I gain back feeling so I reach out my arms to hold his, though I know it won't last long, it's only the calm before the storm.

“I’m… I’m ok now” I say. I smile at him for the first time in a while. “You came back?”

“I told you I would come, he told me ‘don’t bother’ but I could never leave you. I need you just as much as you need me.” He says. I start to cry again but this time out of joy, I’m happy. He’s the only one who ever makes me happy.  Just as I think things may be alright I become uncomfortably numb and feel every grasp of life slip through my fingers. My body is no longer mine though I still watch through my eyes as if I’m watching a movie. I wish it were a movie. I cannot bear to see myself struggle with him as I grasp him and pull him off with me. I close my eyes and hold it in but it does not last long. The powerful force within me will make me watch. My eyes open and feel a rush of water; I can see him struggle for air as my hands hold him down. I try to scream but nothing but water flows into my mouth. With one last jerk, he falls limp. He looks lifeless but his eyes are still open. I look into them and they are as blue as the water covering them. For a second I see his soul leave them then look at me, not with horror or disgust but with empathy and sadness. Even he, now gone, still knows what lies before me now. I want to cry but cannot feel the tears so I just close my eyes, not wanting to stare into his doll-like eyes anymore. I scream in anger, more water flows in and I can no longer breath. Feeling comes back to my body and I suddenly feel the warm water flow against my skin, my skirt flowing every which way.  I sink deeper and deeper but have no energy to pull myself up again. With one last jerk, I become limp, eyes open and all. I turn around to look into them and they are as dull as the back of a knife. My body sinks further and further away from me and can't help but feel relieved.

© 2017 Dallas Rose


Author's Note

Dallas Rose
I wrote this story to be very vague and I did not use very many character names besides Rose because it's all about her. This story can be up to your interpretation and I'd like to hear what you make of it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Pretty dark Julie. I hope you don't think like that a lot. The flesh is okay. You can let it out some of the time. Just don't feed it. Well written by the time you are my age you'll be thrilled you can write like that. A bit too ordinary for me. Unsaved I wrote like that a lot especially killing off all my characters in the end. They're not demons unless they bother you. Let them live.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
1 Review
Added on November 16, 2017
Last Updated on November 18, 2017

Author

Dallas Rose
Dallas Rose

Crystal, MN



Writing
Eyes Eyes

A Poem by Dallas Rose