Left-behind

Left-behind

A Story by JALP
"

My current college experience...

"

Today marks the 3rd of my college experience. However within the past hour I was left completely alone.

I have never been alone, in fact I have been surrounded by people my whole life. Therefore I am not used to not being able to hug my parents or for that matter anyone. I have made a few friends but it is way too early to even compare them to my old high school friends. I am not really sure about anything at this moment.

Today is the the day I was left alone. Yes the airport part was a hard moment for me because I left my mom and my girlfriend, the two people I have been the closest to in my entire life. I walked away trying to maintain myself from looking back because I know I would run back to the car and cry into the arms of my girls. However, I did not shed a tear that day, don’t get me wrong I was incredibly sad but for some reason I was strong enough to keep myself from crying. Today though, my dad left back home and I am alone. He traveled with me in order to leave me on campus and see where I would be living for the next 4 years.

While he was here I noticed he wouldn’t go out much when I wasn’t with him. The first day of orientation I spent only the morning with him and was gone pretty much the whole day due to events. When I came back I saw him sleeping knowing that he hadn’t gone out much if at all. The next day I felt like I had to spend more time with him. I skipped the next few days events in order to spend more time with him and to not let go of my life I left behind at home. We ate in a thai place where he ordered something I could tell was too spicy for him. He still forced himself to eat it and it amused me. We walked around campus and he helped me set up my room. I never really had much bonding time with my father because of how much he worked, but in two days and the farewell I came to appreciate even more what he has done for me.

I tried so hard to contain every emotion in my body when he dropped me off in front of my dorm, because I knew he was going to have a long trip back and didn’t want him to have any distractions in his mind. With a weeping voice and the inability to look  into his eyes I gave him a hug and said “goodbye”. With that goodbye I lost the last remnant of my old life. It was at this moment I walked into the room with the straightest fest pretending I didn’t want to go back and tell him to stay, just like in the airport. I walked into my dorm and luckily my roommate wasn’t there I let it all out, every emotion I’ve had for the past week. For about an hour I cried, thinking about everything that had warranted crying over the years that I just swallowed up. Because for the first time in all my life I was completely alone.

© 2016 JALP


Author's Note

JALP
Needed to get this off of my mind

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on September 8, 2016
Last Updated on September 8, 2016
Tags: College, moving in, moving out, family, love, emotional

Author

JALP
JALP

Los Angeles , CA



About
I am a person who grew up in south central L.A. and has experience a lot of the beauty but also the ugly sides of this city. I am currently attending Dartmouth college and will use this as a way to re.. more..

Writing
Glass Half Empty Glass Half Empty

A Story by JALP


Dear Mom Dear Mom

A Story by JALP