Shoe Box

Shoe Box

A Story by Justine

 

I pull the box down from the top shelf. It’s been two years since I scribbled my thoughts and ideas down on paper. Needing to write but, never able to write more than a few lines. I wrote every good feeling about you down and stuffed it in this box till there was nothing left. Until all I felt about you that wasn’t neutral.

 

  As I sit with it in my hands, this black Converse shoe box from when i was 16. It’s amazing what a couple of years can do.

 A thin layer of dust has settled on the top leaving my finger prints behind. Kind of like my heart, you left a mark that is slowly getting covered.

 

  I smell the dusty cardboard as my fingers lightly drum against the top. Should I open it? Or will it be my version of Pandora’s box? I am over you, that I know but are the feelings still there? Can I work and shape these words I wrote in pain into

something better? Or will they forever need to stay hidden in this box?

 

  I slowly open the top, almost expecting sparks of pain to fly out, expecting my heart to clench, my throat to close, but none of this happens. It’s quiet and I feel my heart thump against my chest but its not tight or aching.

The scraps of paper lay inside in a jumbled mess and in no particular order. As I reach inside and begin the task to reshape the hurt and pain, to mold it into something new.

 

 

© 2008 Justine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You do an amazing job of capturing the little details. I love the way you make me feel what's going on and what it looks like. I really like the topic you chose and how chose to present it. We all have that first love that never really goes away in our hearts so I think this is a great one for people to relate to. Love it!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 12, 2008

Author

Justine
Justine

CA



About
"If you wore your heart and mind outside on your forehead they'd ALL be lining up just to get a glimpse."{[♥]} **** My style of writing, if I def.. more..

Writing