The Little Black Dress

The Little Black Dress

A Story by Justine

 

With light brown curls at my shoulder blades, half clipped up half resting loosely on my back. I feel my earrings brush against the side of my cheek as I quietly enter in a little black dress. The thin straps hugging my shoulders,  the skirt getting sheer as it brushes mid calf. Simple and sweet, but there’s something to this little black dress.

 

I can feel his eyes on the back of my neck from across the room. I’m getting shivers down my spine, I wish he would stop.

At 22 he hasn’t seen me in four years. I turn my head glancing over my shoulder and see him turn his head, slipping his arm around her waist. I’ve heard they’ve been together for three years now. I slowly turn around noticing all of them. All my friends, glancing around, have their arms around someone. I look at the glass of wine in my hand, not a sip taken swirling the dark red around. What am I doing here, why did I come? I feel his eyes again. maybe its my imagination. I glance again but he doesn’t turn his head this time, this time he looks right at me. I see it in his eyes, the regret, the longing. She sees me, she sees him and slips her arm around him. He’s been caught and he knows it.

 

I set the glass on a passing try. I was crazy to think coming to this was my kind of thing, granted my friend had asked me to come, she was tired of seeing me alone, but with a room full of couples all I can do is feel self conscious. I feel squirmy, I gotta get out of here, I turn to leave and there you are.

You see a smile play across my lips. “You came, you came. How did you know?”

Even in heels I still have to stand on my toes to wrap my arms around your neck for a hug. Your arms lift me slightly. You’ve save me. You’ve saved me from all of this. Youre the best friend a girl could have.

“You clean up beautifully” I hear as you set me down, slowly spinning me around for a look. My skirt lightly twirling with me as my smile grows, my face feeling warm. I know you have me blushing.

 

I still feel his eyes on me from across the room, and I know its not my imagination. Leave me alone! I want to yell in his direction. I had wanted him to look at me like that for years but now I don’t. I just want to move on.

 

“I still can’t believe you’re here! You came. In the whole time I’ve known you... you’re here?!” I say happily to you, trying to fight against the feeling of his eyes watching.

I hear you chuckle at my disbelief.

“Can you blame me?” I ask playfully as you shake your head.

You glance around the room as you take in my friends. I suddenly feel self conscious with you. Where did that come from? Its this dress, I’m not used to this, this strange attention. I’m the one no one notices in jeans and  t-shirt. When you look back there’s something different in your eyes as you look me over again, making me nervous.

I suddenly hear my words repeating themselves in my head, “the best friend a girl could have”. Is that all you are? Is that all you’ll ever be?

You slip your arm around my waist, my knees almost buckle. You lead me back into the mob of people, of friends. Knowing you’re there it doesn’t seem so scary, knowing for tonight I’m not alone. Tonight, maybe just tonight I’m yours.

 

© 2008 Justine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are so great at capturing the thoughts and feelings of a woman. I also love how you choose topics that people can really relate to. My only peeve? Write more! Lol! I want to see some longer pieces from you. ;)

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 12, 2008

Author

Justine
Justine

CA



About
"If you wore your heart and mind outside on your forehead they'd ALL be lining up just to get a glimpse."{[♥]} **** My style of writing, if I def.. more..

Writing