Morning Routine

Morning Routine

A Story by Justine

 

As she stirred, she felt a sudden emptiness behind her and a cool draft on the back of her neck. Still mostly asleep, she could hear him behind her in his closet. Slowly opening her eyes she saw it was still dark out through a crack in the curtains. The floor creaked as he went into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

She yawned stretching with a squeak and rolled over into his spot on the bed. It was still warm from his body, his pillow smelled like him as she buried her face in it with a tired groan. She heard the shower go on, the sound of the water steady, something comforting to her, the normalcy, and certainty of the noise. These thoughts floated through her head as she tried to think of what it was to her. The routine of it, that’s what it was. Having grown up with so much uncertainty the littlest things, like his morning shower, brought the most comfort.

 

He came out of the bathroom having seen she had moved into his spot, like she did every morning and came over running his fingers through her curls kissing her forehead. She could feel the buttons of his open shirt brush her arm.

Quietly, knowing she wasn't all awake, he whispered "Morning baby."

Sitting on the edge of the bed he watched a small smile come across her lips, a sleepy whispered "morning honey” coming from her before he turned to slip his socks and shoes on. She reached up lightly rubbing his back as he tied them. Pushing herself up she slipped from the sheets kissing his cheek and walked to the kitchen to start the coffee. She came back into the room stopping in front of him, he smiled as she stood in her boy-shorts and his t-shirt. He gently pulled her closer to him, his hands gently pulling from her hips. Her arms slipped over his shoulders, her slender fingers combing through his still damp hair on the nape of his neck. Smiling softly she brushed her nose over his; his hand cupping her jaw and a thumb gently moving over her cheek.

He saw the hazel in her eyes were bight and warm, the greens and golds like the early morning colors peeking in through the curtains now. She leaned in slowly, the warmth of her breath hit his lips before hers met his tenderly.

Their morning routine was in the little things. The little things that started every day.

 

© 2008 Justine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
Added on February 18, 2008
Last Updated on February 18, 2008

Author

Justine
Justine

CA



About
"If you wore your heart and mind outside on your forehead they'd ALL be lining up just to get a glimpse."{[♥]} **** My style of writing, if I def.. more..

Writing