Firelight

Firelight

A Story by Justjaskin
"

"What is war?" Asked Brother Cat....

"
"What is war?" Asked Brother Cat to his siblings, his body bathed in the warmth of the campfire. He was the youngest of the family, only amplifying his natural curiousity.

"War is terrible, sons and daughters dragged kicking and screaming, wedges driven between lovers, innocence lost, monsters born, prejudices scarred into the survivors minds." Sister Doe solemnly stated as the light washed over her, her form peaceful and wise.

"Forget that, War is opportunity, the weak are fed to the strong, power shifts, lives are won or lost, some emerge like a god, some fall like whelps, war is natural, war is right." Hissed Sister Snake, as she gently wrapped herself around Doe's neck, instilling fear but emplacing trust, her sinister features lit under the flickering firelight.

His voice came deep as he slowly raised his head, "War is an inevitability, it comes with the tides of the sea, ever changing like the leaves of the trees, bred by hate that comes as naturally as a call to sleep, at some point we all must encounter it, it is up to us to determine whether it is our rise or fall." Echoed Brother Bear, his powerful voice underminded by the indifference he exhibited, the light only showing the beast of war he was meant to be.

All sat silent. The crackling of the fire clicked. Once. Twice. Three times. The voice was quiet. It came from Brother Cat. "Brother? What of you? What do you think War is?"

A heavy paw stepped into the firelight. The light came up a hand in height, scars decorating the leg it connected to. A muzzle moved into view, growling filled the night. "The kindling to a wildfire that never goes out." The night went silent as Brother Wolf retreated from view. Thunder struck, lightning flashed, rain began to pour. The fire went dark. The world went dark. A howl. A roar. A thud. Hissing gone silent. A bleat. Thud once more. A quiet, inquisitive meow. "Brother Wolf?"

"Oh dear Cat. I was never your brother. So is the nature of war. No one is trusted. No one is safe. Now you know the nature of what you ask. May it satisfy your curiosity for the rest of your life." And a crunch. And a howl.

© 2017 Justjaskin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 7, 2017
Last Updated on August 7, 2017
Tags: Short story, animals

Author