Able to Fly

Able to Fly

A Story by KASI
"

Written in 2011(8); A fictional writing assignment for english.

"

It was a normal day, or so it seemed. I woke up, almost smashing my alarm clock in the process. It was a Wednesday so deciding against taking a shower in the morning and just changed. Grabbing a banana I left the house without a word. Mom was already driving to work and neither Fuuko nor Dad needed to be woken up just yet. The school was covered with a thin sheet of snow. Since the doors were not yet opened I stood in front of it waiting, and stretched. Feeling unsatisfied

 I stretched again but something was wrong with my back. I ran my hand through my black, short hair styled to be straight. I hadn’t felt all that well yesterday, so I hadn’t pushed myself while working out that hard. Somebody crashed into my back and I winced. Why’d it hurt so much? The other guy just said sorry as I tried to hide my pain. It just felt like I had grown extra nerves or something there.

The rest of the day went by like a blur. I went through my A-day block schedule with ease and ignored any hateful comment thrown out at me. Why hate the haters? By the end of the day my back was still feeling weird. On the way home walking, I pondered what it could be. A rash? Unlikely… My ear buds were in, the volume not so high and I carried a string backpack with not much in it. I hummed along to the piece sung by a girl, and octave lower since well, I was a boy. The song had just started, A Japanese on about a hidden desire to fly, meikyu butterfly. But I wasn’t looking when I sang silently and crashed into a big guy, sending me flying back.

“Sorry.” I said not looking at him and walking on. I felt a big strong hand on my shoulder and tensed.

“No, you ain’t going nowhere punk, you coming with us”

There was a whole group, looking drunk or high, with tattoos and piercing everywhere. Without a word I followed knowing this was very bad.

They took me to a field and surrounded me. It was a pretty field in the summer but now it was snowy and icy, with a dangerous cliff. I went into a defensive stance, those karate classed weren’t a waste of money. The circle tightened as they advanced. Eyes hungry, and very off balance they were. I showed no emotion and no sign of fear. One man charged and I held my place until he was close enough to kicked him in the lungs. With an Oaf, big boy fell over giving me an opening in the circle. I jumped over the body and out of the circle, only to notice I was heading toward the cliff. Stopping suddenly and shoes slid on the especially icy area. Desperately looking around, I was in dismay to find they had surrounded me yet again. Three of them took out knives, ready to pounce. One man, not armed, came for me but he wasn’t alone and his knife-holding homie came along for back up. It became like a wrestling match but he over powered me in strength. Slowly I was being pushed toward the cliff. Thinking fast I swept his legs from under him and kicked, sending him away from the cliff. Now I was even closer. In rage the man with knife charged. Natural instinct made me dodge but quick calculations told me the percentage of that man falling off the cliff was 99.9% and if he did, dying would be a full 100. Half way through my dodge turned into a leg sweep, but he only stumbled forward. Knowing I’ll regret somehow regret it I did a roundhouse kick, backwards. It worked, the man stopped going forward and moved away from the cliff, but without noticing I was right there. Still in a kick I had no balance and seeing the rock and cold currents below didn’t help. The small ground I was on seemed to crumble and my body fell back. My eyes were wide and my short black hair was tansled by the wind. My back seemed irritated even more, like I needed to stretch, but why now? Weirdly enough I didn’t see my life flash before me either. This will be a sad death I concluded, but my back started to feel really weird. I was almost to my death so I closed my eye and felt the air whoosh past me. Suddenly pain spread though my back and more, as the wind seemed to slow. I opened my eyes to see the dangerous rocks below me. I seemed suspended, in mid-air. Wait… what?! I looked around and my eyes grew wide. Two wings, the exact shade of my hair, were moving back and forth. I registered war set of instructions in my head. Back and forth it repeated. Did that mean.. I had wings? Was that even possible? The wings were huge. Maybe a quick measurement of a 12 feet wingspan? Not yet used to the feeling I tested my brain out. ‘Hard flap’ I thought and tensed. The wings pulled back and flapped pretty hard. I shot upwards feeling the wind through the feathers. I grinned. I could get used to this. I landed on the ground, a little rough. Then the question sprang up. How was I to hide these? How were they hidden until now? After flexing them I tried pulling them in. They lay flat on my back, with a great big lump. I closed my eyes and pushed to pull them in more when I heard a pop. The feeling was gone. I opened my eyes and turned in a circle. The wings were gone leaving big gaping holes in my shirt as well. I stood there for a second, before going home to do my homework.

My mind still wondered during calculus. Was that possible? Was it real? I heard a car engine and my mom walked in, telling me to take a shower. Agreeing reluctantly I took off my shirt and headed up to the bathroom. I heard my mom gasp behind me.

“Kaito, when did you get a tattoo?” she said horrified. I looked at my back in the mirror. Indeed there were dark brown wings on my back in a form of a tattoo.

“That’s just a prank mom, sharpie.”

I said with a fake laugh. My mom stared at me but left quickly. I took a shower, but even with the warm water the sharpie didn’t come off. Was I doomed for this? At 1AM I laid in bed thinking. What now? When I closed my eyed the feeling of flying came back to me. A smile played on my face and I fell into a sound sleep.

The next morning was normal. I looking into the mirror, but my wing shaped tattoo was gone, and so were my wings. I tried pulling them out, but it only delayed me to get ready for school. Was it all a dream? Before PE I noticed I was wearing something abnormal. A necklace. It had wings on it. When I took it off it seemed to whisper to me, “Never forget, you can fly” If it was a dream, where did the necklace come from? I stored it away safely and proceeded my day. It was a normal day, just as it seemed.

© 2013 KASI


Author's Note

KASI
Sorry if there are grammar and spelling issues :< I...I honestly didn't like the teacher and and wrote this in a rush. But I've always been fond of the story.. First actual story posted! enjoy :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on April 22, 2013
Last Updated on April 22, 2013

Author

KASI
KASI

amerika, HI, Aruba



About
Writing is a hobby I have learned to love~ Told that I have a strong 'voice'.. well.. I continue to write xD (Photo is me~) Participant of NaNoWriMo 2011, 2012 more..

Writing
My Wish My Wish

A Poem by KASI


All Was Silent All Was Silent

A Story by KASI


Never Ending Never Ending

A Poem by KASI