An Old Friend

An Old Friend

A Story by K. Harding
"

An old friend won't leave her side, even in death.

"
The amalgamation of sorrow intertwining Kaito's heart strings caused a dissonance in the thick mist around Trinity's grave. The bird song that resonated through the bitter air to welcome the morn didn't ever stir the dead beat in his chest. The petite frame of the wolf seemed de-materialised - free from the weight of a soul, or a conscious. 


Blue hues fractured the shadows of the night that cloaked the cemetery but their luminosity was dulled by the pain that had coiled itself around Kaito in a noose. The rope that bound him to his owner had frayed, the bare fabric bore into his flesh. In the name of grief it festered and manifested into something greater that overcame the wolf. 


A memory of her seraphic laugh as he plastered her in a layer of slobbery kisses shot through his memory but it was all a façade and the momentary lapse of joy forming a lost smile on his lips disintegrated, melting away in sorrow.


"Come back..." the wolf cub howled to the moon in the sky. The last wish upon a star for the night. It was something he wished for every night. 


The leaves of Autumn decorated the grave in amber and red, the beauty radiating from the carving in the headstone, still the wolf remained by her side, even death could not part him from his owner. His fur was black with dirt and his skin clinching to his bones. Blue hues burning the darkness that threatened her grave.


The white snowflake cascaded from the misted clouds overhead, a growl emanating through the distance every time an intricate flake touched down on her grave. Protecting her from the cold. Could the dead even get cold? All pride had left his numb body, still the wolf remained by her side.


By the time Spring re-birthed a new year and flowers bloomed across her grave in remembrance of Trinity's beauty, the wolf cubs motionless body lay curled against the headstone. One paw was pressed to the cold stone while the other held a rose in place. Snow had covered his frozen body and the sun melted it away. 


Death had taken the wolf from the cruel world - his loyalty unrewarded. He never saw her again...

© 2016 K. Harding


Author's Note

K. Harding
Random little piece.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sad but nice. I have a couple of things posted less polished than yours. If you get bored give my words a read.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is a very good piece, I'm a fan of wolves and the stars and constellations. I see you have that interest as well. I have some stories about my idea of constellations. Checjk them out and tell me what you think. I'll keep reading your work

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 9, 2016
Last Updated on March 9, 2016
Tags: Death, Love, Animal

Author

K. Harding
K. Harding

United Kingdom



About
Philosopher of the stars. A voice in the choir of scars. Inspired by Tuomas Holopainen & Edgar Allan Poe. more..

Writing