After Dusk

After Dusk

A Story by Kelly Harris
"

A story about a girl finding out what her cush is really like.

"


    The window cracked as I edged it up, trying my hardest not to make a sound. If mom caught me sneaking out, who knows what would become of me. I slipped on my blue beaded neckless and was scaling down the side of the house in no time. Jack would be at the end of the road in ten minutes to meet me. I had on my favorite blue jeans, a white cami, shimmery white eye shadow, and my dark brown healed boots. Not actually the best thing to be sneaking out with, because as I got out of my short crummy drive way and set foot onto the photocromic road, I clanked, and clanked, and clanked, and continued to clonck until I was keen enough to promenade onto the clammy lawn.
    I was finally half way down the road when I was caught in the light of a chevy pick up truck. Red, and a bit rusty, not to mention warn out and muddy. I covered my face and bent over to one side, protecting my eyes from the light. I heard a whistle from  down the road.  I recognized it. I knew it was clearly Jack.
    I walked over to his ungrateful looking car, and climbed in. It smelt musty. But all I cared about was getting me and my bouncy red hair over to that party. Jack complimented my outfit as I blushed and batted my eyelashes. My freckles popped out from behind my thin makeup, soon enough. We both sat there laughing. My boots were off now. I was scattered across his torn leather seat. The belt buckle, indenting in the skin of my abdomen. We spent the rest of the car ride there, laughing till our lungs gave out, and smiling till all we could do is give an outspoken grin.
    We eventually pulled up a slender driveway, to a considerably large home, that could probably be considered a palace. The thick turf was overflowing with honeysuckle, lilies, lilacs, and tulips. We followed the dimly lit path , the pale light casting small shadows of flower stems. Jack and I beaded at the door, expected to be welcomed momentarily. However, the unexpected happened. We inspected our surroundings. The two of us peered towards the edge of the house.
     “ PSSSSTTTT.” A voice echoed. Jack glared at me.
     “ Hey, that's definitely not me. It couldn’t possibly me, coming from way over there.” I stated.
    Jack replied yea, with a “mhm, whatever” sort of tone.
     “ Plus, even if it was me, which it was certainly not, there's no way someone with a voice as graceful as mine could pull of a disgusting raspy voice like that.” I noted. We both stepped over into the freshly cut grasses, which still smelled of morning dew. Nonetheless to find a stumpy man with a head to vast for his body. I’m anticipating the runt of all his family.
    “Do... um, da, do we know you?” I stuttered with a confused look on my face. The man just stared. Acting as if he didn’t speak english. When I know perfectly well that almost everybody in Eastern New Hampshire does. What does he think I am, stupid? Continuing to stare, the man looked up at me. His head cocked to the side.
    “My Name is...” He hesitates and squints his eyes. As if to say he was thinking. Not sure about what his name was. “ My name is Andy.” He said, sounding like he was about 8. Which is really of creepy because when in reality, he could pass for at least 25. Jack and I just stood there. Not knowing what to say, let alone think.
    When out of no where, a door squeaks open then slams shut with just enough time for a athletic body to rush out. The music from the party blaring through the cracks of the windows. Strobe lights flashing.
    “ What on earth is going’ on out here!” A young man with a strong steady vocal chord hollered. Before we knew it, Andy had scattered off behind the house quicker then ever.
    “You weren't supposed to stop and chat!” He screamed to Jack. “ Your job was to get the girl, and drag her here!” He points down towards the porch. Holding what I assumed to be stolen alcohol. It was spilling out of the plastic cup, as he stumbled across the porch, closer to the two of us. I stare at Jack, into his eyes. Mine watering up as each second passed.
    “So this is why you asked me out, now isn’t it?” I questioned, my voice shaky. Jack just stares. I can’t tell if he's ashamed, or if he's only shocked that I found out so quick. “ What were you expecting to happen tonight? Get me drunk, then what Jack, then what?” I held a dramatic pause. “I’m a smart one.” I tell him. “ You may be able to trick me, into coming here all the way out here, but you will not, will not get me to go inside that house. Drunk, sober, or whatever you were expecting me to be. You either bring me home, or i’ll walk. All I get from his is a glare. So that's exactly what I did. I walked.

© 2008 Kelly Harris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on October 16, 2008

Author

Kelly Harris
Kelly Harris

greene, ME



About
My names kelly :) Im an 8th grader at Tripp Middle School in greene, Maine and I love to write. Its a hobby of mine, i always have a pencil and paper with me ! more..