The Conscience Conundrum

The Conscience Conundrum

A Poem by Michael Leon Wilson
"

A Poem of Philosophical Contemplations, Complete with Satire and dark humor. Angels and Devils upon your shoulders advising you, What would you do without them? Now what SHOULD you do With them?

"
Upon my shoulder rest my devil.
Upon my my conscience lay my angel.
Insidious whispers in my ear, tempt me to hear, pleasure
indeed in the idea I do revel.
Yet I feel a lingering, tingling, urgent feeling,
A warning, that possibly my morality may be in jeopardy.
At times like these I wonder,
can not the angel and the devil just argue with each other?
Must they require my mediation? Need I designate merit per action suggested?
And if they did, abscond me from their feverishly spoken objections and directives,
I do wonder, where would I be at present, absent tug/pull direction? 
would I be stagnant? Would I remain fixed?
Would I ever interrogate myself again, of whether to do that, or this?
Would I never query , live with ignorance and bliss?
Pray tell, if never prompted with answer, could I fathom a question?
Would being deprived of such methods of contemplation leave me absent self designation?
Or would I depend solely on intuition?
Lacking information of possible ramifications
Would I default to pursuing all things that capture my attention?
If faced between hopeless confrontation and probable starvation 
might I wrest an alternate solution if void of moral and desirous argumentation?
Absent my own suggestions shall I be pervious to inception of anothers?

Moreover I dare say, that fellow with the horns is undoubtedly looking out for my best interest.
And interests........ 
Whims, desires, success, and purpose.
Yet the one with the wings councils me, typically in contrary, 
on serving the interests of other people, places, things, and societies.  
My Inferno dwelling compatriot, plies me with giddy, glee, and gratification,
Yet my angel friend wields above me a sword, razor sharp from tip to hilt. 
Absent warning, its icy embrace cleaves through my skull,  burns my chest and sinks steadfast in my gut.
The pain and confusion rival exsanguination, Where once was gratification, now lie guilt and self condemnation.  
The guilty conscious is a internal biological masochistic fabrication, thrust deep inside us regardless our objections 
overcome only by psychopaths, sociopaths, and those capable self deceit to the extent of character alteration.
 
If I were to assimilate the words Just and Vile upon this context, 
I predict our little angel would be cast to the furnace.
Just whoever said that one was the advocate for good and the other for evil?
Seems to me, both are indeed good, just for different people.
They say chivalry is dead, I presume that is due to a lack of reciprocation.
Perhaps disorder, poor logical capabilities, gullibility or genetic flaws were the cause,
And Darwin took it upon himself to correct it.
No fortune lie with the unfortunate, except those buried with it.
That is until grave robbers depart your fortune from your unfortunate bones, 
Irony beckons as they too often fall to misfortune and they too are buried with the same fortune.

Indeed why commit any act that does not bely our benefit.
Those afflicted by the the title altruist now require the same for sustenance.
In a world where resources are abundant, this is complicated, for one which is scarce, it's self harm, possibly suicide.
Sharing is caring, surviving is thriving, Self sacrifice is like tipping, its expected, praised, and frequently disregarded.  
(Not to say one should not do anything altruistic, merely that selfishness can allow for altruism tomorrow the reverse is not always true.) 

Yet those, that build and grow, what they own, get to sit, their heir upon a lofty throne.
Advantage mounts, and is pronounced in education, improved station, and preference of procreation . 
It appears to be a peasants prerogative, though penniless, to provide an offer of charity or assistance.
They perpetually, purchase moral lottery. They pay with their labor, their finances, and eventually their lives.
Spending good will consistently, so as to portray respectable, unenviable modesty. Frequently a virtue touted by religions though as in most organizations the wealthier members abstain from fraternization beneath their class and direct its operation, justifiable by the cost of education.

Knowledge is Valuable, Implementation is Crucial, Perception Is Powerful, -  Implementing your Valuable Knowledge can Crucially control Perception - Which makes you Powerful.    
 
The altruist it seems can suffer greatly in both this life and the next.
If you believe selflessness to be your salvation pray you save some coin for the offering plate rotation. 
Some religions (particular churches names not mentioned) decree god himself requires payment for salvation. A tithe, a payment to "supposedly the entity" that created everything you see, put into the plate held by the very same mortals that claim to be the vessels of his speech. Coincidently, most likely, the wealthy among the masses.

Interpretation.

Morality.
Usually ends in Mortality.
What is Just, rarely dictates Justice.
Peace is usually comprised of Pieces.
Humanity, is not Humane 
Liberty, stated differently is Liability for your own Decisions.
Freedom, Thrives within the mind but dissipates when exercised publicly. 
Facts transmute to fiction 
Especially when perspectives mute opposition
In fact, a fact is not truth, yet the accepted majority opinion.
To dispute or refute a fact based on accurate information 
effectively transforms that fact into an opinionated statement. 
Everything we encounter, believe, understand, perceive, and dream is subject to change.
Change of Interpretation.
Change of Information.
Change of Perspective.
Change of Objective.
Change of Mind.
Unalterable Change of the Times.

The first affair in our decisions, Is to decide desire.
Then upon our unerring desire we appoint justification.
Real, fabricated, imagined, invented or manipulated as required.
All that remains, is the mystery of morality that will invariably impose upon our will.
Regardless of your desire, justifications, reasoning or pleading .
The Sword of Guilt inevitably condemns affliction upon  us all.
What of those who's morals are indeed flawed you ask?
To contradict your morals is to amputate part of your identity,
some of us are more whole than others.
I suppose in practice an identity can be dismantled and traded, for money, pride, power or any other identifying factor worth discarding parts of your original identity.

I come to call upon my demon on my shoulder, 
I request him to speaketh my desire, that I may know the origin of my will, and its truth.
I summon the angel from my conscience, that I may assess the breadth
of the consequences contained contemptuously within my contemplations.
Let me receive all I may humbly, peacefully, proactively
Maintain from that which I desire,
Through conscientious ambition,

I Decree :  

My Desire Is Me 
My Humanity is mine 
The path I walk is that which the two intertwine.
My sum ever expanding with every decision I make 
sometimes my desires overtake, priority above my humanity 
Others my humanity forsake my desires, for my own sake.
My sword of guilt sculpting, painstakingly 
a future me , worthy of my future dreams.
To return to whence we began I have concluded 
To follow only your desire is to forge indulgence and greed that will inevitably decimate all that you cherish, in addition to what you appointed no value prior to its absence. 
To follow in the lone shadow of your lengthy morals is to concede before all others as righteous, pretentious, and incapable.
Modern society is a moral fallacy, and if one wishes to survive and keep ones sanity, you will undoubtedly have to compromise your ideal morals to better function in your reality based surroundings. 
The knight that forfeit his life for a maiden may be sure of only two things, He can not possibly duplicate this action a second time, and the maiden is far more likely to procreate with a coward, than his corpse.   
    
     

© 2021 Michael Leon Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on February 9, 2021
Last Updated on February 9, 2021

Author

Michael Leon Wilson
Michael Leon Wilson

jacksonville, FL



About
I'm sick with frantic rhymes that can be dark, morbid , scary sensual or just plain strange. What makes me different is I write about anything, with no filter. more..

Writing