A Chronos Roulette Valentine

A Chronos Roulette Valentine

A Story by Alex P.
"

As promised, here's the the Chronos Roulette Valentine's Day sneak peek. Enjoy!

"

Erika tugged her travelling cloak closer, walking around the encampment until she finally settled next to Lana near the fire. As she held her hands out to defrost them, she caught sight of her digital watch. Her eyebrows shot up as she read ‘FEB 10.’ Her gaze flickered to Adel almost on impulse, and then smiled a bit. “Hey Lana, do you guys do anything special on February 14th?” She asked quietly, angling her body toward the girl so that neither of the men could read her lips. The younger girl was holding her pale hands up to the flames as she sought the fire’s warmth, tilting her head toward her friend. She gave her a curious look, and shook her head slightly. Her gaze was questioning and silently she angled a hand toward her, pointing, redirecting the question back at Erika. “Yeah, we do. It’s a Christian holiday, kind of. We give presents to people we have feelings for. In my world, though, the market has taken the holiday over, and made it seem like unless you buy someone something, you don’t love them.” She frowned. “But anyway, I was thinking the two of us could make something for Adel and Cyrus?” She asked, angling her head to where she head at least one of them rummaging around over by the shelters. “An idol, or something small enough that they can carry around with them.”

A romantic celebration? Lana wondered, intrigued. She smiled and helped Erika to her feet. She led her toward the tent, an idea shinning in her youthful eyes. Once inside, she rummaged through the bags of supplies until she found what they needed. Cloth and a needle complete with spare thread, though they would need to find something for stuffing. Erika grinned. “That’s perfect. Only…” She blushed and looked down, suddenly wishing she’d paid attention in high school home economics. “I don’t know how to sew.” She ruffled her hand through her hair, like she did when she felt self-conscious. Lana smiled at her, waving her off. It was easy really. She would teach her. The hard part would be trying to find something to stuff it with... She blinked, looking over at their blankets and pillows, still strewn about from the night previous. Pillows… Pillows were stuffed. With feathers. Chicken feathers. Of course! Lana grinned, and then sat down on her bedroll, motioning for Erika to do the same.

          About twenty minutes later, both girls had an outline for the idols, and Erika was gradually learning basic sewing skills, under her friend’s patient, silent, instruction. They were both excited about the gifts, and would have continued, had Adel not stood outside the flap of the crude tent and told them that they’d be breaking camp soon.

 

          By the time the 14th rolled around, the idols had been made, and were now in Lana and Erika’s bags. The girls had made the men take them into the market, under the pretence that Erika’s pillow needed replacing. Adel had called her high-maintenance, among other things, and spent the entire trip back brooding. However, their food stores mysteriously got larger. Now, Erika lingered, chewing on her lip. She had made one for Cyrus, and one for Adel, while Lana taught her what to do. Erika noticed a few of the supplies going missing, but didn’t comment. She now put her hand in her bag, feeling the texture of the dolls she had so painstakingly stitched together. She smiled, and absently brought her index finger to her mouth, still feeling it throb every now and again with how many times she pricked herself. She shouldered the bag, and stepped out of the tent they shared, and nodded at Lana. The brunette nodded and got up, going toward her brother. Erika, in turn, went toward Adel, who was sitting by the fire, eating.

“Adel, can I talk to you?” She asked, causing the rogue to look up sceptically.

“So talk.”
          “Um, not here?”

“Why?”
          “Adel, please.” She sighed, her tone belying her growing annoyance. Adel shrugged and got up, dusting his rear free of debris.

“Alright fine.” He grumbled, following after her as she led him a little ways from the camp. She chewed on her lip again, turning on the ball of her foot to face him. He arched a brow at her, crossing his arms over his chest. “What do you want?”

“Well you don’t have to be defensive about it. I want to give you a present.” She watched his eyebrows shoot up. “Um, where I’m from, today’s a holiday… You give people you care about presents. So, Lana and I got together and made you and Cyrus each a present. I made yours.” She felt her cheeks heat, and glanced up at his wide-eyed, confused expression. “Er, it’s not much, but it’s my first attempt at anything like this-”

“Just give it to me.” Adel cut in, his tone fractionally softer than usual. She was giving him a present? That she made? Just for him? He watched her reach into the bag that she had strapped across her shoulders, and pulled out a small… doll? He blinked. “You made me a doll?”

“It’s… It’s not a doll…” Erika blushed, holding it toward him. He saw white bandages wound around her index finger. She hurt herself? He wondered, taking the doll, then took her hand. Erika’s head snapped up, but Adel focused on her hand.

“What did you do?” He asked gruffly, turning her hand gingerly. He lightly prodded her fingertip, tightening his grip when her hand jerked back in reflex. “You poked yourself with the needle didn’t you?”

“I didn’t know how to sew.” Erika admitted in an undertone. “Can you let go now? I’m fine.” Adel looked at her, dropping her hand and then lifted the doll to look at it for the first time.

“A dog?” He speculated, turning it over to see a full view.

“Um… No it’s a jackal.” Erika replied, her voice getting a bit defensive. Adel froze.

“A jackal? Like The Abitio?” His gaze darkened. “I hate him! I don’t want something in his image! You didn’t even get the color right, he’s supposed to be black, not white!” Erika’s eyes flashed angrily.

“I thought it’d be cute!” She advanced on him, her temper flaring. Adel took an involuntary step back, however, Erika was soon jabbing him in the chest with her uninjured finger. Still, he didn’t back down.

“Well it’s not!”

“I made this for you by hand! I took the time to learn to make it! I didn’t make a mistake; it’s supposed to be white! Ever since I was a little girl I’ve had a white jackal protecting me, like a guardian angel or something! I figured that if I made this one white he’d protect you too!” She gasped and recoiled when she realized what she said, the stunned look on her face identical to the one on his. She quickly turned, but not before he saw her face go as deep a red as her hair. “Why can’t you just be grateful?” Adel shifted uncomfortably, looking down at the doll.

“I am grateful.” He said after a moment, his voice low. Erika twisted around, looking at him.

“What?”

“I am grateful, damn it!” Adel said louder, his face turning red. Erika smiled a bit.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Adel.” She said softly, walking past him back toward the camp. Adel stared after her until she disappeared through the tree line, and then looked back down at the doll. Slowly, a soft smile graced his lips, and he pocketed the doll, turning back to camp in the girl’s wake.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Erika.”

© 2010 Alex P.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on February 14, 2010
Last Updated on February 14, 2010

Author

Alex P.
Alex P.

AB, Canada



About
Amateur Herbalist | Feminist | Social and Environmental Justice Activist | Entrepreneur --- The content of this profile and all other associated content are hereby strictly prohibited from disclosur.. more..

Writing
Mindful Mindful

A Poem by Alex P.


Night Night

A Poem by Alex P.