The Doctor and the Heartmaker

The Doctor and the Heartmaker

A Story by Almond Ferolino
"

This is my first attempt in writing fiction. I am still exploring the world of authorship and this piece is bound to have many errors. My aim in this story is to show some of the follies of humanity.

"

The Doctor and the Heartmaker

By Almond Ferolino


Some time in the 18th Century


Deep within the Walled City, on a busy street beside the Cathedral, stood a little girl with a pale face. “Get a new heart from the Heartmaker! Mend your broken heart with the Heartmaker!” cried the little girl. The people strolling down the street took no notice of the little girl and proceeded to mind their own businesses.

The girl continued to deliver her practiced advertising of this ‘Heartmaker’ and she will keep at it until the street lamps of the city are lighted. However, there were frequent occasions in the past when she had to take a rest or even stop early from her work because she felt ill. But whenever possible, she gave her best in trying to get customers for the Heartmaker because she felt compelled to do so.

Just before the street lamps were lighted and before the little girl called it a day, a fairly attractive man, clad in a frock coat, approached her with an anxious face. “Excuse me my good child,” said the man, “I am interested in the services and goods offered by this Heartmaker, would you be so kind and tell me where I can find him?”

The little girl smiled and replied, “Certainly mister-”

“Doctor,” interrupted the man. The little girl gave him a confused look, “Doctor Felix is my name.”

The little girl smiled again and said, “The Heartmaker’s workshop can be found along Calle Aduana, Dr. Felix.”

“I see. That is not very far from here,” replied the doctor.

“Yes doctor,” answered the child, “and I just finished today’s work and happen to be on my way there now. Perhaps it would be alright to walk there with you?”

The young doctor didn’t see anything wrong with the little girl’s suggestion so he replied with a nod.

The two didn’t speak much to each other as they made their way towards the workshop of the Heartmaker. The doctor learned that the girl’s name was Estella and she was only twelve years of age. The little girl was already tired of speaking after a day of yelling advertisements on the streets and the doctor was too busy dwelling on the source of his anxiety.

    After a few minutes of walking, they finally reached the workshop of the Heartmaker. It wasn’t very large from the outside. It was a modest, two-storey stone building, with tiled roofs, and windows following the architectural designs brought by the colonial masters. Above the doorway was inscribed neatly and stylishly, “THE HEARTMAKER.”

The doctor entered the workshop with the little girl and what he saw inside was very fascinating for him. Hearts made of various precious metals and gems, different sizes, colors, and lustre were displayed inside the room on shelves. Each heart was unique from the others and had labels for each of them. One of them, made of diamond, was labeled, “For those who desire purity.” And another, quite large and made of obsidian, was labeled, “For those who desire evil thoughts and deeds.”

The doctor became happy at what he saw and thought, “Surely I will find what I am looking for in here and all my anxieties will fade away!”

While he was rejoicing internally, he noticed that the little girl who accompanied him to this place was nowhere to be found. He tried to look for her but suddenly, a loud voice bellowed and filled the room. “Welcome! Welcome to my humble workshop!

He immediately turned around and saw right behind him a broad and plump, aged man, around the height of his own chest, wearing white sleeves under a brown vest, smiling eagerly at him. The hairs on his head were already white and thinned, though he had a very bushy mustache to compensate for that. He had large lenses over his eyes which made them appear very large and weird.

“The name’s Dr. Felix. I presume you are the Heartmaker?” asked the doctor.

“Why of course!” the old man responded merrily, “I make hearts for those who need them and mend those who are in need of healing for a price I believe to be fair and equitable.”

“Then surely you can help with my problem.” replied the doctor.

“Perhaps, or perhaps not,” answered the Heartmaker, “It would be best, I think, to share with me first the nature of your distress so I can figure out how my heartmaking craft can help you.”

The doctor nodded, fixed his collar, took a deep breath then said, “It’s about a woman I am currently in love with.”

“Yes, yes, yes! It’s always about a woman!” the Heartmaker laughed, “Woman, oh woman, joy of every man’s heart, right doctor?”

The doctor remained silent with the Heartmaker’s response and cleared his throat to signal the Heartmaker that he was going to say more. At this, the Heartmaker composed himself and made a hand gesture telling the doctor to continue speaking.

“She is a very beautiful woman,” continued the doctor, “her eyes sparkle like the stars in the night sky, her hair is as smooth and dark as ebony, and her small lips are tinted with the hue of a crimson rose. Her skin is as light and smooth as the blankets of snow found in the High North, and her body seems to be perfectly carved by Mother Nature herself which makes her very desirable. She also possesses a rare intellect that even at the risk of committing heresy, I would say that it was given her by the Greek goddess of wisdom herself.  And perhaps even the Sun-god Apollo endowed her with some of the arts because she displays remarkable talent in music-making.”

“You are quite the Romantic,” teased the Heartmaker, “she truly sounds like a woman worthy to be the object of any man’s affection. So what is the problem, my good doctor?”

The doctor hesitated for moment but eventually gave a sigh of resignation and continued, “Recently, I’ve began to write to this woman expressing my deepest admiration and love for her. And what joy! She responded positively to all of my letters and advances that it gave me motivation and courage to finally ask for her hand in wedlock. But lo! She wrote that she will only marry me until I fill the hole in my heart.”

“A hole in your heart?” inquired the Heartmaker.

“Yes, a deep and dark hole in my heart.”

“And you are aware of the cause of this ‘hole’, my good doctor?”

“Verily. It haunts me still in my dreams and in my idle moments. But I don’t want to talk about it!”

The Heartmaker then shot him a scrutinizing gaze and asked, “How did this woman become aware of this ‘hole’?”

“I wrote, in one of my letters to her, about its presence and the reason for its existence.”

“Pooh, pooh!” exclaimed the Heartmaker, “that was a bad move doctor.”

“I admit that it was not the wisest thing to do, Mr. Heartmaker,” responded the doctor.

“And now you come here at my workshop to ask me to make you something which will fill this dreadful hole, I assume?”

“To put it bluntly, yes.” responded the doctor, “I would like you to make me something which will complete my heart so I can marry this woman whom I love.”

The Heartmaker scratched his head.

“I don’t know,” he said, “I’ve never received any orders like this from a customer before. Usually, they would ask for a new heart to improve themselves or mend a fracture in their hearts after breaking it, but nothing like filling a deep, dark, and enigmatic hole in a heart before.”

The doctor lowered his head and begged. “Please Mr. Heartmaker, make me something which will complete my heart no matter how much the cost.”

The Heartmaker stared at him for a short while then said, “Very well, I shall do as you ask me.”

A big smile formed on the doctor’s face and he proceeded to thank the Heartmaker. Then the Heartmaker excused himself from the doctor and briefly went inside one of the inner rooms of the workshop. He came back with some measuring tools with him and said, “I would need to take some measurements of your chest and your heart first so I can accurately craft the perfect item for you. If you don’t mind, please follow me to the measuring room so we can start the procedure.”

The doctor nodded and followed the Heartmaker to the measuring room. He was instructed to take off his frock and sleeves. After he took them off, the Heartmaker noticed a locket around the doctor’s neck and was immediately piqued by it.

“Say,” said the Heartmaker, “that’s a fine locket you have there around your neck! May I know where you got it?”

The doctor reflexively grabbed the locket then said, “This locket is of no importance at all. Don’t mind it.”

A dissatisfied look formed on the Heartmaker’s face but decided to drop the question about the origin of the locket. He then carefully took precise and careful measurements of the doctor’s chest area and the hole in his heart.

“The hole is very deep indeed,” said the Heartmaker, “what an intriguing case this is!”

The doctor remained silent.

After the measurements were taken, the doctor put on again his clothes and asked the Heartmaker how long it will take to finish his order. A week was the Heartmaker’s response and then he asked how much his order will cost.

“About your payment,” the Heartmaker said with a warm smile, “I am a firm believer that to be human is to make others happy. And it so happens that my craft will make you happy, so I am not going to charge you anything at all.”

The doctor wasn’t entirely convinced, but he felt happy nonetheless about the Heartmaker’s kindness so he decided to conclude his business with the Heartmaker for the day. As he was exiting the workshop, he suddenly thought about Estella, the little girl, and decided to ask the Heartmaker about her.

“I adopted her when she was only three,” the Heartmaker responded, “she has a weak constitution but she’s a very industrious child.”

“Oh, is that so?” the doctor replied, “I noticed that she works from morning till dusk on the streets of our city so I really agree that she’s an industrious child. Please send her my thanks for accompanying me to your workshop earlier.”

“Will do. Thanks for conducting business with me, my good doctor.”

The doctor bowed his head then left the workshop. On his way home, he felt relieved of his anxiety and it was replaced with such immense joy because he thought that after one week, his heart will be whole again and the woman he loves so much will finally become his fiance.

“At last!” cried the doctor, “at long last, after many dry and tiresome years of barrenness in love, I will finally be able to experience the joys of love again!”


After seven days have passed, the doctor happily made his way to the workshop of the Heartmaker again through the street beside the Cathedral and walked for a few more minutes until he reached Calle Aduana and arrived at his destination.

Just before entering the Heartmaker’s workshop, it crossed his mind that he didn’t see Estella, the little girl, anywhere on his way here. He found it a bit strange and a feeling of uneasiness and wariness boiled inside him. “Ah, it must be nothing!” thought he, “she must have changed her spot or perhaps is taking a rest today.”

When he entered, he saw the Heartmaker standing behind a counter inside the room while polishing a small, silver box.

“Welcome back, my good doctor!” greeted the Heartmaker, “you’re just in time to pick up your fine order.” The doctor approached him and examined with his eyes the box.

“Is this it?” he inquired.

“Yes, nice and ready for use.”

“Then I should like to open it now.”

The doctor opened the small, silver box and what he saw inside was quite something he did not expect. At first glance, the content of the box seemed to be just a black and round piece of rock. But as he picked it up, it suddenly changed its color and texture. It became a shiny, multi-faceted,  rainbow-colored gem, which glowed dimly even in the brightness of the room. A small paper was adhered to it and read, “For those who have lost something of great value.”

He found this inscription strange,- but what did it matter? This object will assure him of his woman’s hand in marriage so he decided to ignore it. He told the Heartmaker that he would like to use it as soon as possible in which the Heartmaker replied,

“Of course, you may do whatever you wish with it! But doctor, I’m afraid I must ask a favor from you.”

“A favor?” the doctor answered with a hint of curiosity in his voice, “then do tell me what it is you need of me, for I am in a good mood right now.”

The Heartmaker’s face became gloomy then said, “It’s about Estella. She’s been terribly ill for the last three days and all the first-aid medications I gave her had no positive effects. So please doctor, can you go to her room upstairs and check on her?”

The doctor agreed without hesitation for he too was worried about this news. He went upstairs into Estella’s room and upon entering her room, he saw the little girl sleeping on the bed with a deathly pale face. He examined the little girl and noticed she had a very slow heartbeat; she was already critical. If there’s anything to be done, he had to do it now. He gently woke up the little girl and told her of his diagnosis in which she replied with a very weak and broken voice,

“Doctor, thank you for your concern. If there is anything you can do to help me, please let me know. After all, my life is draining for  I have a deep hole in my heart.”

The doctor was utterly surprised to learn this from the little girl. He asked Estella why didn’t she just ask the Heartmaker to heal her heart.

“You see doctor,” she responded, “the Heartmaker can only make or mend the heart of a person once. And the one and only heart which I can get from the Heartmaker; I gave to someone who desperately needed it two years ago. So, unless someone is willing to give me his or her heart, I shall soon sleep for all eternity.”

A sudden chill shot down through the doctor’s spine. He was fully aware that he had the power to save this little girl’s life, but at a great cost to him. Contradicting thoughts erupted in his head. Should he sacrifice his own happiness just to save this little girl who was technically a stranger? Or should he leave the girl to her fate and finally become one with his woman?

He stood silently beside the little girl’s bed, then after a few minutes the doctor had made his decision.

“I am sorry Estella,” he started, “I am afraid there is nothing at all which I can do to help you. Your life is in God’s hands now.”

The little girl looked very shaken then she started to cry. Her sobs were like sharp knives, which penetrated deep into the doctor’s core, but he didn’t change his decision at all. Instead, he forced himself to leave the room and the little girl to her doom. When he descended downstairs, he found the Heartmaker looking very sad but he said nothing at all. He rushed towards the entrance of the workshop and exited to the streets outside.

He then hurriedly travelled to the house of his beloved woman. He saw her sitting on the porch while reading a pocket book. He approached her then said, “My dear, I come to you now to ask for your hand in marriage. You wrote in one of your letters to me that if my heart becomes whole again, then you’ll marry me. I present to you the content of this silver box which will complete my heart again!”

However, the woman looked very displeased then said, “I am afraid you are too late, for you see, I am already engaged to the son of the Governor-General.”

“But you gave your word to me!” the doctor blurted.

“I know I did. But what is my word to me? The Governor-General’s son is very rich and and much younger than you are. In fact, he gave me, as a present, a box of jewelry which I promised to wear on the day of the public announcement of our engagement. You are just a lowly doctor. Be gone now from my sight!”

The doctor wanted to say something to her but decided to keep it to himself. He was not going to suffer more humiliation under this wretched woman. He turned his back to her then proceeded to walk towards his clinic.

As he was traversing the streets of the Walled City, he suddenly remembered the little girl.

“Alas!” he exclaimed, “I still haven’t used this heart-fragment, perhaps I can still save Estella!”

He ran at the highest speed which his legs could give him. When he reached the workshop of the Heartmaker, he was panting heavily. It was already night so he found the workshop closed. He banged his fists on the door until the Heartmaker opened the door.

The doctor told the Heartmaker everything that happened. He requested that he must see Estella at once for he believes that he could still save her life. However, the Heartmaker told the doctor that he was too late. Estella was already dead.

The color from the doctor’s face faded away and was at a loss for words. He knew the little girl died because of his own selfishness. He cursed himself for letting his own selfish desires bypass his duties for his patients.

“My good doctor,” the Heartmaker said, “there’s something I need to give you.”

The Heartmaker produced something from his pockets which was completely identical to the locket which the doctor wore around his neck. When the doctor saw it, he had a premonition of what it meant.

“Where did you get that?” he demanded, “tell me where you acquired that locket!”

“Calm down my good doctor. This locket belongs to Estella. When I adopted her, she was already in possession of it. You know as well as I do what this means, correct?” responded the Heartmaker.

The suspicion of the doctor was confirmed then he began to weep loudly.

The locket belonged to his first wife and Estella was his own daughter. The hole in the doctor’s heart was created due to an accident at sea nine years ago. He wrongly believed that both his wife and daughter died in that accident. He was completely ignorant that his daughter survived by floating on driftwood and that her mother gave her the locket, just before the ship sank, in hopes that her father would soon find and recognize her.
    But now it was all too late. He had let his own flesh and blood perish because of his own selfish desires. He continued to weep then he felt a sharp pain in his chest. He clutched his side then fell on the ground. After that, his vision became one with the darkness.


END

August 26, 2017

© 2018 Almond Ferolino


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very interesting story and I like how it has morality. It exposes the selfish nature of humans, who only make sacrifices if they can benefit, then regret missing an opportunity to benefit after shunning others. This was very creative and was full of mixed feelings. I liked it a lot!

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is a beautifully tragic story!

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 13, 2018
Last Updated on August 13, 2018
Tags: short story, first, fiction

Author

Almond Ferolino
Almond Ferolino

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines



About
Hello! I am a 19 year old man and I am currently a student at Philippine Normal University. I want to hone my skills in writing for both professional and hobby purposes. I love reading philosophy, his.. more..




Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5