The Missing Rider

The Missing Rider

A Story by Kaitlin Ann

The horse came back alone, with horror I pushed away from my windowsill that made me trip over my dirty laundry, I manage to pick myself up and race out of the room. As I collided with the wall next to the staircase, I forcefully pushed against the wall to add more power to my jump, I manage to leap past five or six steps and the rest were leg work. I soon got to my front door, slammed the handle down and violently swung the door open, it wasn't like me to do such a thing, but seeing that horse without the rider made me want to faint.

As I was running through the field, my mouth was dry and my heart beat so hard I thought it would burst from my chest, the horse seemed miles away and I quickly regretted not taken up athletics in school, but I pushed on wards, ignoring the fact the heavy gushes of wind were making my hair get in the way of my view. I just about made it to the horse and stopped near by in case I scared him away, slowly approaching the creature I grabbed the reins and drew myself towards. The horse was covered in dried up muck which made me believe he was alone for a while, I put my hand on his forehead to show I wasn't a danger, while doing so the muck crumbled and fell off leaving a white straight line down to his muzzle, I knew insistently who owned this horse, my brother.      

My heart dropped knowing my brother, Jack was missing, I recalled him saying he was taking Toby out for a gallop through the woods, I thought he would be back by the end of the day, but instead his horse only managed. Holding Toby's reins, he looked tired and sickly and couldn't do more galloping, so I gently walked him back to the sables, but really I wanted to run into the forest to find Jack. After taken care of Toby,he neighed several times in a very gentle way given a clear sign he was fine, with that I ran to the sable doors and looked along the road to our farm, my parents have still not returned home and my only choice now is to call the police.

I called the police and a woman answered with an irritating voice, I told her about Jack and gave my address, she then asked to describe him the best I could, but I panicked fearing he was lying dead somewhere wearing his riding gear and I slammed the phone back down to hang up. An hour had passed and there was no sign of blue flashing lights nor the sound of sirens, I must had made the call out to be a prank and now truly I was petrified. After a few minutes of arguments against myself I cooked up the courage again to go into the woods and packed a backpack with blankets, food and clothes, I believe I'm my brothers last hope. 

Noticing the change of the sky fall to darkness,it gave a nervous feel it wasn't going be easy to find Jack, but out of no where I heard a big moan coming from within the forest and I ran straight in. It was hard to run in the muck despite wearing my school shoes, but it felt as if it was quick sand so I grabbed a stick and hoisted myself along, soon I reached the cries and of course it was my big brother Jack. He was lying on his back calling out my name multiple times, 
'Kacey!' he called 
'Kacey, you're here you found me, I had Toby but he got stuck in the mud and was frighted and threw me off, where is he!?'
'Its alright Jack, he came back home like good boy' I said squatting down next to him, it was clear that jack had broken his leg and couldn't move so I pulled a blanket out and placed it on top of him and waited, waited for our parents to come and bring us home. 

© 2015 Kaitlin Ann


Author's Note

Kaitlin Ann
Sorry I don't know much about horses, but hopefully I gave a good description of one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on February 8, 2015
Last Updated on February 8, 2015
Tags: Tension, Teen, horses, short story

Author

Kaitlin Ann
Kaitlin Ann

Dublin, Ireland



About
Write to inspire yourself, at first others will not see and try to discourage you from your path, but once you feel you have succeeded the others will conceal or be inspired as you were from the begin.. more..

Writing
My Mommy My Mommy

A Poem by Kaitlin Ann