The Slave

The Slave

A Story by Kakapo92
"

A Slave back when magic and gods were still around has a chance to gain his freedom. He never would have guessed on how he would do that.

"
Once upon a time under a magic filled sky. Back when the giant Father Time still roamed the Earth stitching the time zones together there was a man. Not a Demi God or even an immortal, but just a man. In fact he was less than a man to most because he was a slave. Born into slavery he didn't know anything more, but even he wished for more. More food, more strength, but more than anything he wanted to be free. Not because he hated being a slave, but because he wanted to open a rug shop. He made the most beautiful and intricate rugs but only for his master. A man could only use so many rugs, so he didn't get to make them often. They were usually a gift for family or friends of his masters. He hoped they appreciated them. With each new rug he got better and tried new methods and materials. They got better. Bolder. More intricate.
He went to the backyard of his Master's manor to his shack. It smelled like sweat and dusty cloth. A smell he loved. That night his life would change forever and that's where our tale starts.
When he took the turn towards his shack he saw something else, a man. His Master. He was having some fit pacing back and forth wringing his hands. He had never seen his Master so nervous.
"Sir can I help you? You should really get inside. Father Time comes out at this time of night, and he isn't above stepping on someone." His Master didn't respond. He walked closer and heard his Master mumbling. He chill ran down his spine.
"What's wrong master?" His voice was dry but finally his Master spoke.
"Slave if ever were you to help me help me now. Help me and I will set you free.
"Sir I am your slave and therefore help you with no pay. I don't understand"
"I ask you the impossible and if you can do it I will owe you much. Your freedom. I have made a deal with a God to make sure I leave with them to the 'Otherplace' when they have finished on Earth. I promised an item of beauty and rarity, but I have found what is beautiful to men is not to gods. I presented him our family jewel encrusted pendant and he laughed at me. He cupped his hands and gems the size of my fist appeared in his palms. Soon there was a pile so big is spilt over his hands to the floor. He has no use for jewels. I need you to find something worthy for a God."
"Master I'm but a simple slave who knows only how to make rugs and carpets. A rug is nothing to impress a God." His Master must really be desperate to come to him.
"I've searched far and found nothing more valuable than jewels. Now I've come to you my slave to once more do my bidding, or else have your head put on the block."
"Yes of course master."
The slave could not sleep that night. He was at a loss. He didn't even know what a God would want, or where to start. The next day he continued on the carpet he was making as he thought. He went out to the fields to sheer some sheep, and noticed one was missing. He searched the fields everywhere and didn't find it. He found tracks leading towards the Forbidden Cave. There he found his sheep drinking from a pool of water. Its fleece slowly started to turn golden in color. Its fur moved as if there was a breeze but there was none. It looked alive. He quickly took it home sheared it, rolled the fleece between his hands, and made a golden rope of yarn. The golden rope wriggled and squirmed moving across the floor like a snake until he tied it vertically on the loom. It would make the heart, and fringe of the carpet. He finished it that night and took it to his master.
"Master! Master, I have done it! I have a gift fit for a God, and it was made by my own hands."
"...A carpet? You bring me a carpet to give a God? Why would he treasure a carpet made by a lowly slave over jewels?"
"But Master it is magic! It is a Magic Carpet, and it has life of its own! I have folded and tied it with twine so it can't escape."
"Show me." The slaves palms were sweaty as he untied the twine. He was relieved as it burst into the air. It flew back and forth trying to find a way out of the room."
"I told you it is a Magic Carpet!"
"I...I can't believe this. How did you do this?"
"One of my sheep went to the Forbidden Cave and drank from the Pool of Life. Now the carpet is alive and will forever live through time."
The God received the gift graciously, and the slave was a slave no more. The carpet lived throughout time as the slave had promised. Sometimes it was lost and forgotten, but it laid waiting for its next owner. I'm sure you know the Carpet I speak of.

© 2013 Kakapo92


Author's Note

Kakapo92
I typed this on a phone and it likes to change whole sentences and it hard to scroll through the story so I hope its not butchered to bad. Give me some feedback and ill return the favor

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the overall idea of it and it's very well written considering you wrote it on a phone :) Should be more spaced out though, so it's easier to read and not so cramped. One little thing that annoyed me a little though was the first sentence, "once upon a time under a magic filled sky." the sentence shouldn't end like that, it should have a subsentence following it. Maybe replace the . with , ?

otherwise it's a neat story, I enjoyed it :)

I also like how you didn't give any of the characters names but still managed to keep them from being too shallow :)

Keep up the good work :)

80/100

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like the overall idea of it and it's very well written considering you wrote it on a phone :) Should be more spaced out though, so it's easier to read and not so cramped. One little thing that annoyed me a little though was the first sentence, "once upon a time under a magic filled sky." the sentence shouldn't end like that, it should have a subsentence following it. Maybe replace the . with , ?

otherwise it's a neat story, I enjoyed it :)

I also like how you didn't give any of the characters names but still managed to keep them from being too shallow :)

Keep up the good work :)

80/100

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 27, 2013
Last Updated on May 27, 2013
Tags: magic, slave, ancient, earth, rug, carpet

Author

Kakapo92
Kakapo92

Lewisville , TX



About
My name is Byron, and I only really found my passion for books after I read the Narnia series. Since then there isn't a day I haven't read or wrote. I have several short stories but they are all only .. more..

Writing
Mirage Mirage

A Story by Kakapo92