[untitled]

[untitled]

A Stage Play by Cristian S.

ACT I

Scene 1

(The dreary bathroom of some rundown city apartment. Standing in before a lonesome faded mirror stands a rather tall man with long black hair. A constantly flickering light shines down showing silhouettes of a number of tables and junk littered about the floor.

The lonesome man stands before the mirror with his back facing the audience. Beyond the mirror is utter blackness. Around him sits a table just off to his right with make-up and other assortments of items lay about haphazardly. His pose portrays a human filled with sorrow and self-loathing.

SOMBER

I... I'm atrocious.

After muttering this faint and saddened remark. He turns facing the audience. Suddenly the light becomes slightly more vibrant and gives way to the horrid look upon his face.

His face looks as though a beast, perhaps a goat. With disfigured horns and wrinkled face. His eyes are as black as the stage beyond him, and yet, seem to glitter from the light above him.

SOMBER

Why must I looks this way? WHY!?

He looks back into the mirror and mutters to himself in disgust, and quickly spits into his reflection hoping it will run away. But it remains.

SOMBER

I want to be golden... golden as the statues of Buddha, I want to feel the touch of king Midas. I want to be... perfect. Perfect as the mornings setting sun!

SOMBER turns facing the audience yet again, this time with an overwhelming sense of anger and hatred. He clinches his fist and begins to grow anxious.

SOMBER

But all anyone ever does is look at me with disgust, they only see me as the beast I so openly portray. I am not a beast! I'm am not foul, and I'm not this! I am not the colour I crave to be.

SOMBER loosens his grip and begins to calm himself down.

SOMBER

Perhaps... I can make myself look better? Even if only enough to see smiles when I catch eyes with passersby.

SOMBER looks around frantically at the room before, in search of something, anything to make him appear more colourful. Anything to take attention away from his horrible facade, and maybe even find some beauty.

SOMBER

Anything! Anything to make me as vibrant as a summer bouquet.

SOMBER stumbles around the room with no regard for his safety before making his way to the table of make up. He looks to the audience for a split second and then quickly grabs the lipstick.

As he takes the cap off of the lipstick and begins to release it. A VIBRANT shade of red erupts from the flimsy casing.

SOMBER

Yes... this- this should do it.

SOMBER looks closely into the mirror and begins to apply the lipstick carefully. He moves as delicately as an artist painting a picture.

He stops and looks at himself, and lets our a faint wail. To his surprise, the lipstick did nothing. He quickly shoves his face into the mirror again and begins to apply the lipstick violently onto his lips. Spreading the vibrant red paint thickly around his lips and dragging it along his cheeks and chin.

He rears his back to the audience in a quick motion. His face is ridden with red lipstick, and he quickly throws down the case.

SOMBER

D****t, d****t, d****t!

He roars out and quickly throws himself back towards the table and is throwing stuff around the table in search of something else.

He comes across small case of powder and begins to quickly throw it onto his face.


 

 

 

© 2009 Cristian S.


Author's Note

Cristian S.
Not finished, just an early draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on April 14, 2009

Author

Cristian S.
Cristian S.

NC



About
Nothing more than some kid who wants to get better at poetry. more..

Writing