What Depression Feels Like

What Depression Feels Like

A Poem by Karalyn_
"

I am someone who suffers from depression, this is how I think of it.

"
-Some people wonder what depression feels like. Well, my way of thinking of it is; 
Picture yourself in a pool. A pool too big for you to stand it, whether its 5ft, 6ft, or 7ft. It's a hot day, and the pools is cool, and it seems like a great time to get in. You go in the nice cool pool, you get comfortable, you swim around a bit. Since you cannot stand in the pool, you keep shredding the water, keeping your head above water. You are in the middle of the deep pool, and your legs and arms are getting weak and tired after a minute or shredding. You feel weak as you try to swim to the side of the pool to get out. But you are way too weak and tired to do so. You keep shredding so you do not drown. It is getting dark and cold out as you begin to shiver. The water is still cool and its now night time. You shiver and try to keep yourself above water. Every now and then your head will go under and it will be hard to breathe, but you get yourself back up, struggling, weak, and tired. This is what depression feels like. 

© 2017 Karalyn_


Author's Note

Karalyn_
This is just for others who do not understand mental health/ depression much. I hope this helps others understand a bit more about depression and maybe get a feel for what its like.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

"you keep shredding the water"
Did you mean 'treading' perhaps? You keep using "shredding" again and again... I've never heard it put like that, just "treading", maybe its a regional thing (but I doubt it, treading is the appropriate word). Also, you don't need to use the word "the".... it's just 'treading water'. I would use something other than 'water' in your next example, instead of 'head above water' maybe try 'head above the surface', since you used the word 'water' literally 4 words before it sounds kinda clunky and redundant. I have for decades and continue to this day to deal with depression, I don't really identify with your example. No offense, just being honest.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
1 Review
Added on June 5, 2017
Last Updated on June 5, 2017
Tags: depression, mental, mental health, anxiety, help

Author