Red like...

Red like...

A Story by Kat Collins
"

30 minute timed challenge free-write

"
Red like fire that rages in my heart.  It burns beneath my heavy-lidded eyes. The salt in my wound as I gaze at your countenance, ready to throw it all away. After all these years, and you give up. Throw your arms up in surrender. It’s a travesty that I cannot correct. I cannot erase the damage you’ve done. You’ll burn in Hell for the suffering you’ve inflicted on my soul. It is asking me to release you, to forgive you, as you beg bow before me. But my calloused heart refuses. I’ve had enough of your games. Your mis-steps. Your excuses. You brought this tumbling down onto your own head. Not me. YOU. It burns so deep, the molten lava smoldering through my veins. It is passion of righteousness, of justice, of revenge. Your promiscuous ways and tittering smiles, drawing in your prey like a moth to a flame. But they’ll burn. Up in smoke, WOOSH. They never saw it coming. But you knew. You planned - plotted - schemed - seduced. Brought them quivering to their knees to do your bidding. Oh the agony! I’m ashamed! Repulsed! You’re repugnant to me. The red of your hair glimmers like firelight - taunting, whispering, sultry, “Come here, my love.” No! I will not listen to your lies, your games. You cast me out like day old trash. But still you persist. You beckon, crooking your finger and calling my name. But I am lost in the flames of Hell, pleading to be doused with cool water. Praying my soul be soothed. Get out, you scathing imbecile! I’ve had enough of you. I’m done. Finished. You’re a leper losing it’s skin, festering sores, and missing limbs. You’re diseased and riddled with pestilence. How others can’t see is beyond me. You change visages like the sea changes tides. Which one is really you? You are who I want you to be until you bleed me dry. Red like fire seethes through my joints, burning my fingertips, crackling like lightening. I banish you from my life. From existence. You will punish no more. The world be damned for loving you like I did. I was a fool, lost in your essence.A mirage - a vapor - shimmering in the distance. Shifting just out of my reach each time I close in. I think I have it and then POOF, it vanishes like smoke before my eyes. I’m left with the whispering fog of your beauty, singing the siren’s lure. The cold sea awaits my plunge as I can bear it no more. I am lost. A shell of who I once was. The red is fading into blue. Ice in my veins. Can you hear the cracking? The splintering of my self? It was you all along who did this to me. You poured your wickedness into my soul. It no longer can love a brandishing fire like you. It’s too much. The flame burns, blistering my skin open wide. Seeping fissures and a parched tongue. I’m stuck in an arid desert, dragging myself along the sand, hoping for a drop of your fiery liquid. My heart sputters and dies out. I’m left in darkness without a flame. Without you. What have I done?

© 2012 Kat Collins


Author's Note

Kat Collins
feel free

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice one. You work up quiet a head of steam in your challenge. The image at the end of you breaking apart in various ways and self-combusting shows what a hold Mr.Rattlesnake had over you. It sounds like you are damned with him damned without him. Vigorous write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Puuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect.

Posted 12 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

970 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 28, 2012
Last Updated on March 28, 2012
Tags: red, fire, ice, passion

Author

Kat Collins
Kat Collins

Allentown, PA



About
I'm a writer, freelance web designer, and voracious reader. I'm a collector of words, experiences, and emotions. I've been writing since I was "knee-high to a grasshopper" and feel lost without it. Wr.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Locket of Her Locket of Her

A Story by Muse