Forks

Forks

A Story by Wallflower

When I was very young I remember posing a question to my sister that had real weight to it, real significance that my young mind could not quite wrap itself around. Like standing at the edge of a cliff and glaring down into a big, deep, dark canyon--I didn’t know what was down there and I could only speculate its distance, but I knew it was deep.


The question: Why do we call a fork a 'fork'?


The question was inspired by The Little Mermaid when Scuttle shows Ariel a fork and Ariel, in awe, asks what it is and Scuttle responds: “it’s a dingglehopper. Humans use these babies to straighten their hair out.” And he twirls the fork in his hair with a “voila!” to show Ariel how its done.


I remember this as one of the first times I questioned language, after this I remember questioning all types of words, making up my own words for things just to be able to contemplate an alternative. I remember picturing scenarios in my head from “back in the day” to make up possible points of origins for these words. It fascinated me. It still does.


It wasn't until I got older and slowly lowered myself down into that canyon did I begin to realize how truly astonishing words are. It began with semiotics and linguistics, got more confusing with anthropology and sociology, and still blows my ripe 23 year-old mind when I bring the sciences into the question. I always come back to the same end point though, what makes us human? I use to think it was language, or at least our form of language, but naively forget that all animal kingdoms have a ‘language’. So I thought, maybe it is what we do with our language that makes us so unique, which ironically brings me back to the start.


We question. We contemplate. We have created a system that allows us to question and contemplate, and the answers we arrive at use that same system.  We’re so small, yet question so big. I guess at the time I didn’t realize Ariel’s question had such a big answer for me.

© 2011 Wallflower


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this dabbles upon the palette of symbolism especially as applied to Dreams where one's dream symbold have meaning only pertinent to them . enjoyed reading this

Posted 12 Years Ago


Language truely is an astonishing thing; I'm currently taking German and I'm amazed with how there are a lot of cognates between that and Old English. However now it's hard to make the comparisons since old words and phrases have evolved over the years. Language is forever a changing thing and I found it interesting at the simple statement my Professor said: "People get bored with words and extraneous syllables at the end of sentences are chopped off, making new words." I like that you address words and language, what exactly makes a fork, a fork, and how the word came to be. Astonishing that an innocent scene from The Little Mermaid could provoke such thought!

Posted 12 Years Ago


sometimes we ask partial questions into an impartial reality

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 26, 2011
Last Updated on August 26, 2011

Author

Wallflower
Wallflower

About
If you want to become whole, let yourself be partial. -Lao-tzu more..

Writing
Breathe Breathe

A Poem by Wallflower


Synergy Synergy

A Poem by Wallflower