Cookie Jar

Cookie Jar

A Story by togo_spirit
"

What does it take to give a mouse a cookie... First 'Weird Prompt' entry.

"

                Raymond twitched his whiskers, expectantly. This was the moment he had been training for. He turned to his grey haired mentor, Walter. Walter, an older mouse, was making it ever clearer that his patience was wearing thin.

“Go ahead, Raymond, I have faith in you,” Walter squeaked half-heartedly.

Raymond breathed in deeply. “Thanks Walter,” he replied, feeling breathless.

With no further delay, he crept out from underneath the dusty under-belly of the fridge. This was his second experience ‘out in the open’.  The vastness of the kitchen, complete with linoleum and wooden cabinets, astounded him. His whiskers twitched once more, this time with pleasure.

 He could smell it. This surely was baking night.

He knew that the coast was clear, thanks to Walters instructions. At this precise time the baker would be downstairs attending to other business while the third batch of cookies baked, the second batch cooled, the first sat conveniently placed inside a most accessible cookie jar.

Raymond scurried, as only mice can, towards the stool that the baker sat on beside the kitchen sink. An easy climb, certainly. Success! Raymond used the handle of a nearby drawer to boost himself up onto the counter top. His nails click-clacked along the granite, and though he tried to pace himself, his enthusiasm got the best of him.

The cookie jar was in sight. The jar was of average size, and shaped like a cow. The baker always left the jar lid off during baking night. A fortuitous circumstance for a mouse. As Walter had often pointed out, paws are no good for opening things such as cookie jars.

Raymond’s senses went wild. Cinnamon sugar. The very best.

Now that the jar was within reach, all that was left was the ‘extraction’.

Raymond climbed atop a nearby mason jar, and used it as a stool to peer into the cow-shaped jar. Gingerly, he leaned further and further into the jar. It wasn’t long before a cookie came into reach of his small jaws. He extended his sharp teeth, until…contact!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

‘Oh no.’ Raymond sighed. He quickly snatched the cookie from the jar, hurriedly leaped off the mason jar and loped across the counter top. The second batch was finished, and the baker would be here to take them out of the oven any minute.

Raymond stumbled down the stool, raced across the linoleum, and as he slid underneath the fridge. As his tail disappeared from human sight, the lights flicked on.  Raymond shivered nervously underneath the refrigerator, gripping his cookie tightly in his teeth.

“Great timing,” boasted Walter, who appeared remarkably calm.

From underneath the refrigerator, they could see the sneakered feet of the baker. Suddenly forgetting the oven timer, she walked towards the cookie jar.

Raymond and Walter couldn’t help but smile at each other. Both mice felt a deep sense of accomplishment and pride, as the baker exclaimed, “Who stole a cookie from the cookie jar?”

© 2010 togo_spirit


Author's Note

togo_spirit
Go easy, I literally wrote this during a few minutes. Just something fun to get the creativity flowing. XD

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks for the reviews!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very nice. I like it so funny! Cute! Keep up the good work. I'm happy people are getting into the prompts. Nice job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


That was a great read! Imagine a mouse as some king of field agent! well funny, great, loved it :D

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 13, 2010
Last Updated on November 13, 2010

Author