The World in Crystal

The World in Crystal

A Story by Kay

(At times the world is disheartening, but don’t worry, I’m sure there is hope for Mankind...)

During the present the world experienced a disseminating plague, a coldness that swept across the world. With every day the atmosphere chilled, the blades of grass frozen in history and the sky shrouded in an eerie, thin haze. The sun was a distorted blaze amongst the clouded atmosphere and the days became dimmer.

Day by day, as we sat waiting in our houses, no longer caring for our daily schedule, nature became a frozen state of being. Colder and colder, the late afternoons becoming darkness…

Within weeks it was no longer frost, but solid ice had laid claim to every natural object. It seemed the ice had stolen any cherished hope of mankind; no one dared offer a smile or implication of satisfaction or joy, not with the world in the state it was.

There was no hope. The light was vanishing; soon only darkness would prevail through the lands, offering no solace to the previous, natural beauty one could experience under a radiant sun.

I was there, during the reign of… despair. When the lands were dimmed and every piece of vegetation was coated in a transparent white ice, when I would gaze out my front window overlooking a gravel road and wooden fence guarding a wide open field, when my heart of Capricorn, although pleased with the acquainted element, was in despair from the aberration I beheld before me.

Yes, I was a part of that generation. I remember walking out of my front door in the early morning, awakening in the early dawn from restless darkness to tread softly outside amongst a brick wall and a fence coated with coiling tree branches and dripping ice. Where I would gaze east and witness the blurred magnificence of the sun, now trapped in a gaseous cage in which we could never reach one another again.

But my gaze would wonder back to the darkened sky in the south and west, where my feet would tread softly on the stiffened blades and I would witness the sublimity of the lunar still moment (the moon’s situation is another story: she fled from us the moment the sky was sheathed in a hazy bastion. We never saw her again…).

The world was coated in ice, the days were reduced to overcast gloom, daytime did not exist any longer, and nights were wretched, treacherous terrors. The intense cold would literally steal the warmth from your very bones. Death was imminent for those who dared dwell outdoors at night.

Extinction was a tragedy that befell the wild fauna, for the climate destroyed them before they even had a chance for Darwin to catch up with them. It was a very lonely, sad time for us, humankind.

We were doomed the day the wind turned cold in the midst of the fiery season and the clouds stole our blue heaven away from us. We were doomed as the ice slowly crept through every branch and blade of grass.

But don’t worry, I’m sure there is hope yet for Mankind… as long as we don’t die out first.

 

© 2008 Kay


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on March 21, 2008

Author

Kay
Kay

Fort Wayne, IN



About
An unknown individual in the midst of desolate country land whose sole purpose is to strive to be an artist... here's to us future starving artists. Viva! I prefer writing short passages, always fict.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Kay