Soundtrack.

Soundtrack.

A Story by Kaya
"

To my best friend and my sister <3

"

I just heard the soundtrack to our life. So many memories, times spent crowded around a laptop, a phone, an iPod; letting the music wind its way through our hearts and bring us closer together. Its sounds so cliché, for our time together to have its own soundtrack, but we both have the songs that bring us closer together, the songs we can’t sing without thinking of the other, the songs we hated, the songs we loved. The songs we weren’t afraid to sing loudly in a supermarket, no matter who was watching.

We sang rehab so loudly, screaming the words with conviction when we’d never felt her pain. Sure that we could understand something so far beyond our grasp. We were moths; dreaming we could catch the moon before we even found our wings. We nodded to music we couldn’t possibly understand, and laughed at the obvious joke we were convinced only we could see

We sung slow, fast, we listened to it all. We danced to Prince, Rhianna, ACDC; all in the one day, never pausing to question the music, just singing like it was the last song. I remember teaching you to harmonise while you taught me how to dance. The perfect team, just like always.

I even wrote you a song once, the first track on the second CD. It was awful but you put it there anyway. Singing it like it was even better than anything in our pile of music, like it meant something. We never wanted to get anywhere, and that’s what made it special. We didn’t care if our harmony was out. The choreography changed with every dance, and it never improved. Hell, if anything it got worse, or we forgot it entirely.

The music gave us something else; we were mindless while we danced, completely uncaring about the rest of the world, as long as we could keep dancing. No amount of threats, laughter, nothing made us want to stop for as long as the other could keep standing. I remember falling to our knee’s exhausted, our throats aching, and we never laughed so hard.

Just to hear the songs… that’s all it takes and I’m right back there with you, your voice singing in my ear, urging me to forget where I am, who I’m with. Pushing me to leap out of my seat and join you in a ridiculously loud crescendo. The kind of singing that will have people wishing they were deaf. We never sung well unless the mood hit us, our appreciation was shown in how loud we could make the music. If the whole block heard us, then we’d congratulate ourselves with another song we could dance to.

Please, play me another song. Find a new piece of music and share it with me. When a soundtrack ends all that’s left is silence. No matter how loudly I scream, it won’t be music without you.

© 2012 Kaya


Author's Note

Kaya
I wrote this in an attempt to use first person, something i struggle with when writing. Its really not my best work so any help would be very much appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, this was a nice read. I can relate with songs that bring you closer to your best friend, or simply songs that remind you of each other. The way you wrote this completely showed the feeling and emotion you were trying to convey.

This has to be my favorite line here: We were moths; dreaming we could catch the moon before we even found our wings.

Amazing story. You don't have to worry about changing to the first person point of view. You didn't seem to have any problem with it here!

Good job. :) Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G!o
This really touched me in different places like love, beauty and envy. I was reading this and i thought of my brother. We spent sort of bits of many moments together but i really never had these moments with him and i'm pretty sure the saddest song in his music list is what reminds him of me lol. But this is really a lovely piece and i'm sure your sister treasures this piece most. I love the honesty you penned here. A fact so beautiful, a fiction to someone like me but still it harmonizes my feelings. This is really beautiful and going as one of the best pieces i've ever read so far in my lifetime, honestly. I can't pick a specific line and quote it as my best in this article, everything here is rainbow to me. Lovely.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, this was a nice read. I can relate with songs that bring you closer to your best friend, or simply songs that remind you of each other. The way you wrote this completely showed the feeling and emotion you were trying to convey.

This has to be my favorite line here: We were moths; dreaming we could catch the moon before we even found our wings.

Amazing story. You don't have to worry about changing to the first person point of view. You didn't seem to have any problem with it here!

Good job. :) Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I found this to be moving. I really enjoyed it. It's fun! And DeliriousCerises is right, there's a certain poetic quality to it.

I'm not positive but, there's two places where you used 'sung' that I think should be 'sang'. Or 'have sung'.

'Knee's' should be 'knees'. No apostrophe for plurals.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your style is very unique. Both this and 384 have a very poetic feel about them, the way you write, the way you describe actions, emotions, feelings, there's an abstractness to it found in poetry. I really enjoy it. As far as the POV goes, you did a fine job with first person, didn't seem any less polished, composed, or understandable than your third person pieces I've read. It's fun that you named this soundtrack, I understand that's what it was about, but even the emotions the reader goes through as they read this piece is like a little symphony, ups and downs, a lot, then a little. Well done thank you for sharing it.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 31, 2012
Last Updated on May 31, 2012

Author

Kaya
Kaya

Brisbane, Qld, Australia



About
Hey Guys, I just remembered about this website when my old computer came back online. I left writing and moed on to pole dancing, but, as embarrassing as reading through my old work feels, I want .. more..

Writing
Hidden Past Hidden Past

A Story by Kaya


Anzac Anzac

A Poem by Kaya