She only remembers Winter

She only remembers Winter

A Story by Juan Muniz

Winter was a very harsh season. The tree's vibrant song suddenly turned to a continuous dull hum and days are the same as night. You could say the same about my house. Day in, day out, everything was the same. Winter was especially hard...


She liked to spend her evenings reading a book, or knitting something for the children while I was at work for most of the day. I was the one to take the kids to school, do errands, talk to the neighbors, etc. It was good. She never went out of the house. We had agreed that she wasn't safe outside because of her condition. If she did, she had to tell me first. We also agreed on that. She needed to be safe. And on a rare occasion, she did go out, and I stayed those days at home with her. Some days were different, when she decided to go outside to get some fresh air. I skipped out on work those days and stayed outside with her. I felt the need to be beside her.


"Be strong honey."


When Winter arrived, those rare days disappeared and she shut herself in our room. More so than usual, I found myself sleeping in the living room. I didn't mind it, after all, I just had to get through Winter. Winter was hard on her. It reminded her about that day, worsening her condition. I never asked about it, I understood her pain.


Her pain is mine.


Only I could understand.


"After all..."


Her condition was very delicate, anything could set it off. When I was in the kitchen, preparing for work, she cried heavily, begging me to stop. She never did agree with my line of work, it was a tough business. The cops were also another obstacle, they were very persistent. After all, killing was looked down upon by society. You always had to be on your toes, aware of every detail and I couldn't afford another mishap like past Winter. It really was a shame...


"Oh darling, I'm so sorry."


I heard screaming in the bedroom one night. I went upstairs to check up on her, to see what was wrong. She was trembling, her hands were shaking as if they'd become a wild animal. I held her in my arms tightly.
"Let me go!" she shouted.
"Go to sleep, darling, you just had a nightmare. That day is over, ok?"
Tears fell from her eyes rapidly, drowning her speech. I laid her down slowly. She fell asleep.


"I'm so sorry darling. Don't worry, I'll keep you safe."


I stood beside her a while, grasping her hand. That day was regrettable... I had no idea that person was her mother. I understand her pain, after all... I did kill her in Winter. Hopefully she'll be fine as usual.


Winter is almost over.


I wouldn't want to kill her too...

© 2016 Juan Muniz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Omg!!! I so wasn't expecting that! Great job holding out on the surprise!

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 7, 2016
Last Updated on January 7, 2016
Tags: Marriage, Life, Love, Psychological

Author

Juan Muniz
Juan Muniz

San Juan, None, Puerto Rico



About
Hello there, the name's Juan. I am a 16 year old living in Puerto Rico. Honestly I never thought I would get into poetry but it seems like whenever I have an important thought I feel the need to writ.. more..

Writing
Love Love

A Poem by Juan Muniz