The Old Man Sits Alone

The Old Man Sits Alone

A Story by KedViper
"

It's hard to describe this. I wrote it on a whim a little while back and didn't make many changes to it.

"
The man sat there in his chair, pulled down by the weight of gravity with no air between any part of his body and the chair save for his neck. He looked over at the TV screen making out blurry images on the CRT with the colors blissfully bleeding together like a dream of a rainy night in a city of neon lights. It was a medium tv but looked small from the distance, but he wouldn't wear the glasses sitting on the high, small, round table to his left with his plump lamp irradiating warm, yellow light onto the polished surface under the glasses. He wouldn't even look at them. He just ignored them like they weren't there like one might ignore an annoying guest in ones home. His evening wear had gotten larger on him somehow. It must have been the way his servants washed them. He knew he should have kept doing his own laundry, but his wardrobe had grown a lot in the last few years, even though he didn't remember buying any outfits in that time. He could barely hear the TV, but couldn't be bothered getting up to turn it up. It must have lost some power in its transistors over the years. It's seemed to only become quiter even as he's often turned up the volume on many occasions after it initially started to lose strength. There was one thing he could hear very well though. The grandfather clock. He never had trouble hearing it. He heard each tic with intensity that seemed to ring louder and louder with each one. Those damned servants again! They must have been winding the clock too hard or have installed louder bells just to spite him. He thought they must be foreign workers and that their employer must be getting more and more liberal with who he hires because it was always getting more difficult to understand them. The employer himself seemed like he was catching their tongues too because he could barely be understood anymore either. The ticking continued and he wondered when she would get back. He couldn't remember when she had left, though it had been a while, but he knew she would be back soon. She never changed. She looked as beautiful as she did in his first memory of her, but his love only grew... Yeah, she would be back soon. Very soon. Tic tic tic... He closed his eyes for a second. Only a second of course. Tic tic tic... Then silence.

© 2016 KedViper


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on October 7, 2016
Last Updated on October 7, 2016
Tags: Old, clock, atmospheric, perception

Author

KedViper
KedViper

Grafton, WV



About
I like writing cynical stories and poems. That's all you need to know. more..

Writing
Pat & Sue Pat & Sue

A Poem by KedViper