The Death of Lancelot

The Death of Lancelot

A Poem by Ken Simm.
"

The Next Confounded on the Matter of Britain.

"

Blood on linen.

Gazing inwards to a world away. There are too many landscaped memories.  Too many shoals and reefs, to sink in or navigate. Still rising in my memory and then lost once more. I dive into the depths of a secret green ocean with a fire dragon filled sky above.

 It is music and life’s lights, the wonders of the gods as the master once wisely stated. The wistful dreamings of lovers in which the virgins were observed to wonder.

I see the flashing dark of spell named swords and the whispers of legend. My Arondight, I hear you still call.  I still hear the dreams of people and the crystallization of hopes.  Saved for all in a common priestly eye.

It was a country of many adventures. The country of the damaged King.

 Whatever she was. Wherever she is. That is where I will now be.

My death blood was stained through a Priest’s precious linen. It was once a life caught in battles. Secret old dark light shone through my bones. It illuminated the mistakes of my youth and it illustrated the honours of the right. It waked the dreamer and took a single prisoner in my memories heart. God never got old.

She was here. She saw my death and she came. She saw my loss and she came in Christ linen and comfort.  Here was a starveling monk not a chivalrous and well favoured knight.

The wistful songs of troubadours and the smoke of valour were heard far away. The love of her before the love of God. All dried tears.  

 Joyous Gard is before me. The master and the virgin. A pure son and a dead enemy. The wizard and the King. A love in grief as my hand slips from hers.  So she counts her tied beads as they fall to the floor and the old golden time leaves with me.

© 2013 Ken Simm.


Author's Note

Ken Simm.
Arondight was Lancelots named sword. Joyous Gard was Lancelots castle. Once called Dolorous Gard whilst hidden under a spell before Lancelot liberated it. It is where Lancelot is buried. The photograph of Bamburgh Castle Northumberland is mine and is called Joyous Gard. Malory considered Bamburgh as Joyous Gard. This is the next part of my Matter of Britain Cycle of Writings.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Folks has, over the years, done turned Arthurian legend into womanist fan-fiction and Morgan Le Fay eatin' bon bons. This reminds that the legend was born in blood and darkness, in a time when there was still the odd miracle and discovery to be had. Damn fine writin'.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much Cleotis. Glad you liked it.



Reviews

Folks has, over the years, done turned Arthurian legend into womanist fan-fiction and Morgan Le Fay eatin' bon bons. This reminds that the legend was born in blood and darkness, in a time when there was still the odd miracle and discovery to be had. Damn fine writin'.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much Cleotis. Glad you liked it.
This is very beautifully written. I like how eloquent it is. "A love in grief as my hand slips from hers. " Very good.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Many thanks for reading and liking my friend.
chivalry is not yet dead . . . and the pages of time creak open wit the most hallowed sights and sounds, i didn't feel like i could give your words all that they deserved until today and i am glad that i waited

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

No it is not dead and never should be. thank you so much Emily
Time taps well , your words too, Tap the pictures we pack dusty in our video crowded present , Tap what we feel is part of us, a fragment of lost,floating comforting ,Food to feed us , to carry us to the fire of night, Knight of Strength. Thank you Ken.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Got to say it irritates when the review is better than the piece. Thank you for the great words.
lee von cleef

11 Years Ago

your ability to inspire, moved me, your poem is your ambassador ,a very good one I should add .
I love these old stories and the way you breathe new life into them. Coffee cup in hand, and arm chair travel on a Sunday morning.......thank you! A visit to your page is always an experience and a journey into far away place and time.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Thank you my friend for all the support.
What an artist you are Ken. Just the way you're humble, and pure perceiving what is needed, is for me enough, already, to call you an artist. Second, this feeling, this write, this culture, and myth, your wording takes me always on a voyage, (and I'm already such a traveler of mind and reality). The knowledge, and your authors note, bring me in other areas, time jumps, and flashbacks. The first real stanza is stunning! compliments. I loved the sentence: "My Arondight, I hear you still call. I still hear the dreams of people and the crystallization of hopes. " that shows the real importancy of that sword.... the history of it, the soul of it. Pure nostalgy, and an overwhelming feeling of joy this write as a time travel gave me. You become slowly one of my favorits on this place... thank you so much Ken. :)

- Elisa

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much Elisa for your very erudite review.

11 Years Ago

The pleasure is mine Ken, great work...
You split this wondrous world open for me. Already fascinated with the tales of that period your writing here illuminates... Thank you for sharing this, Ken

Diego

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Obviously I am fascinated with The Matter of Britan, Diego. Have been painting it for many years now.. read more
Tree

11 Years Ago

Indeed, a fascinating history. Right now I've been reading and watching everything I can about the e.. read more
Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Still the best contemporary fiction about the Arthur legends in my view is the Merlin Trilogy by Mar.. read more
' I dive into the depths of a secret green ocean with a fire dragon filled sky above.'

There's never a time when i leave your work empty handed or hearted. You weave myths with amazing skill, creating pictures in my mind that really last. Thank you also, for broadening the scant knowledge i have of that time and its people.. you open doors to more .. and more. Thank you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

You are too kind Emma. Thank you so much for looking, reading and finding so much interest.
Great, not only a fine text but I like the info in the author`s note, this kind of material
fascinates me, ever since I had to write something about Sir Gawayne and the Green Knight many years ago ( and, incidentially, got it all wrong, but that`s another subject).
Nice job

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Ah The Matter of Britain. Fascinates me also Leslie. Thanks for the wonderful review.
How to make living out of dying. Here, in imaginative, quasi history, you have found it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

An exceptional compliment. I thank you.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

760 Views
12 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 1, 2013
Last Updated on February 2, 2013

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing