The Habitual Rules of Drawing.

The Habitual Rules of Drawing.

A Poem by Ken Simm.
"

Because we don't look.

"

Look.

You must draw what you see, not what you think you see.

I look inside. I open the eye inside.

Find the first line, the first word.

The first word is Look.

Eyes are never usually used to take in information. Sight is used only to survive.

Smell is seen as the most evocative sense.

 Lines are drawn to process visual information. Writing is drawing from memory.

Drawing sometimes works in space, sometimes works in time.

Why is that made? It is made because I read that.

Because I saw that.

Because now I heard you say

You loved me.

Because that affected me.

Because that music played at that time.

Do you see my love?

Why is that drawn? It is drawn because that is the best way of processing that information.

It is drawn because that is beautiful.

Senses in tune. Writing is of course drawing. Photography is drawing. Dancing together is drawing.

Processing visual information. Using experience to make sense of the information presented to your senses in the most appropriate manner.

Using memories that are trained to look. How? By using other memories.

Open.

Sometimes it becomes too much.

The bird lays bright blue offspring, matching the sky.

All of Monet’s paintings in one day of the cathedral facade at Rouen.

The sandblown strand, the waves and beyond, the mountains.

The water falling through the clouds from a silver mountain.

 Two Shorteared Owls flying silently across the snow.

The first flight and kill of my eyass falcon.

 From swerve of bend to curve of shore. He wrote that.

A ride on my chestnut mare through an English sunset.

The horses, the bulls and the flamingos running, fly through wine coloured water.

The first time I touched your face from far away.

Senses are not enough. The mind creates ghost colours when saturated.

Draw what you have seen, and write what you think you have seen.

 

© 2013 Ken Simm.


Author's Note

Ken Simm.
Why do I draw?
Eyass is a falcon bred for falconry. Monet painted more than thirty canvasses of the facade of Rouen cathedral at everytime of day. Who is the he who I say wrote that line? You tell me. The painting is mine and is called Cully. Collection of the Artist.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There is such a difference to really "look" or to "see" and in this lesson Ken, you explain so well how to draw. I recognize so much in your words, and visions, or call it ways "you" see it. As it's familiar to me.
maybe also "I" see it that way. (makes another think deeper into art). Your ending is exactly how an high sensitive artist really looks at it, or did imagined it, almost as if it is real. Just a wonderful piece. Thank you Ken, also it's art to draw with words. ;)

- Elisa Laura

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Elisa. you percieve so much. I'm sorry about the late answer.

10 Years Ago

Oh this piece was so good.... no worries Ken, thank you too, I hope to be back in a bit to read more.. read more



Reviews

I always called it, "drawing what you see when your eyes are closed." Draw how it makes you feel. Put emotions into color; and then, reverse the process, putting colors and textures into words. Make your lines into steps that walk you through mountain passes. Don't tell me the wind is blowing; make me feel it on your skin. Don't tell me you love me; show me how I affect you. Don;t tell me what to think; show me what you see so that I amy form my own opinion. It's like a primer on how to be a connected member of the human race.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie Anzalone

10 Years Ago

I don't know any other way to be. Do you, Ken?
Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

You mean you habitully walk into lamposts:)?.
No I still remember a drawing I did when I was 5.. read more
Marie Anzalone

10 Years Ago

Habitually? No. Only when a Latino has my eye. Or when soemthing else is on my mind. Or I am watchin.. read more
There is such a difference to really "look" or to "see" and in this lesson Ken, you explain so well how to draw. I recognize so much in your words, and visions, or call it ways "you" see it. As it's familiar to me.
maybe also "I" see it that way. (makes another think deeper into art). Your ending is exactly how an high sensitive artist really looks at it, or did imagined it, almost as if it is real. Just a wonderful piece. Thank you Ken, also it's art to draw with words. ;)

- Elisa Laura

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Elisa. you percieve so much. I'm sorry about the late answer.

10 Years Ago

Oh this piece was so good.... no worries Ken, thank you too, I hope to be back in a bit to read more.. read more
This amazing piece can only be classified as a major accomplishment--a virtual work of art.
And, while I know almost nothing about art, I certainly now know what you like.
Also, that last line clearly imparts wisdom--although, I must confess, Ken, my favorite writing approach is to write what I wish I'd seen.
"Cully" is quite striking; conveying just a hint of "friendliness."

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Oh both my Cully's were anything but friendly. I've still got the scars. Mjor accomplishment. Wow! I.. read more
Your writing is so Good. Well Done! Keep Writing Friend!

Do u read mine 2 "Why?, Who is a Poet, Time and Anguish "

If possible then give your reviews..

Regards,
Lucky

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love how the senses used in this piece, this a vibrant and engaging poem. Love the details of vivid imagery to illustrate the rich context of this piece. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

No ,thank you for giving such great words back when you read my piece.
Marc Marlon Villaflor

11 Years Ago

Always welcome Ken you are one of the promising writer here :) keep writing.
Thanks for the lines, colors and drawing-lessons ...

Cully is Beautiful ...

Just Me.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

I should be thanking you Jazz. Thank you.
J. J.  Nightingale

11 Years Ago

Aww .. You r welcome ... J.
I FIND MY LIFE DOES BEST SHARING WHAT I DREAM

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Thank you Tate for looking , much appreciated.
Tate Morgan

11 Years Ago

you are welcome
As Jacques Louis David once told his student Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres,

"Lines, Jean, draw many lines" or something to that effect, French translations are so .... French....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

But then lines have character. A line could be a poem. Now there is an idea for a piece.
roarke

11 Years Ago

One day while in college, during my print making class, a guest artist was working on a litho stone,.. read more
Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Had a brief look. It/they deserve more so I will look again when I am fresher. getting to my bedtime.. read more
There is much that the writer/artist can draw upon here, make it their own. It is always a treat for me to hear and read how other creative people view the creative process. You "draw'' connections and paint an expansive landscape depicting how that works. An excellent write, Ken. Whose last three verses I found haunting, and beautiful; and will stick with me for quite some time.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

It always pleases me when friends can see the connections I attempt to make. You are very kind Diego.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1023 Views
24 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 3, 2013
Last Updated on April 3, 2013
Tags: looking, love, light, drawing, art, writing, composing, creating, romance, seeing

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing