The Long World.

The Long World.

A Poem by Ken Simm.
"

Someone coming.

"

The memory of a song thrush singing sometime in my personal history. A love of nature alone.

Wet days with slanting rain. When Icarus could not fly. Then I wished through my books.  Literature as an object desired. My language. 

Walks along the ridgeline. Wishing for someone to show this to.

I’ve played this part so many times. When I was young and lived in this land.

 When I was young and convinced of the rightness of things.

These were my joys. I considered them once.

I heard the voices that weren’t there and I watched the landscapes change. I spoke only when the sun rose and slept when it set. I dreamed of a world with you. I didn’t know who you were but I watched the wild horizon for changes, for hopes.

My position in the world changed. I learned and then I trained but still I didn’t know.

 I knew that Leda loved her swans. I knew the rightness of looking. I watched the light on water shine into your imaginary eyes. I heard the gentlest of sighs from someone just out of sight. I learned the music of seeing.

 This river of my past changed in the shadows of evening falling. The last of the sunlight drifting across my single thoughts. The forest blew its wind thinking. These gestalt statements set in the filigreed branches of trees and matters of childish perception. The last insects falling golden into space

The swan almost singing. The dissection of it by candlelight. The running away from bent drunks.

Hiding from drunken violence as the deep sun appeared from behind ominous grey clouds building in a frightening sky. Finding a landscape of natural safety in a world of childhood fear.

The visits of the spirit. The first thoughts on the first love. The invisible monster crashing through the woodland.  The first of my secret places.

A kingfisher, halcyon still on my foot, fishing. Dry days and a weasel friend. The rafts of summer, tied with old stolen rope. The illness and the still seeking why.

The strut stuttering illness when it all went away. When I grew slanted.

The small deaths and the painting of a portrait. A teal in my room. Another bird in the shed leaning towards its own death. He likes birds, they said.

The single dead tree in a lake. A dog hanging from it. A river of green and high flowers. The secret small paths of Moorhen and willow.

The old rusting car where she showed me. The words I discovered that no-one else knew. A girl shining.

Concertos and symphonies played and scratched. Then taken and destroyed. He learns too much. He is, he will be, a drooling idiot. The words burned in a heathen temper

When Grendel was a hero of my life. Tricks from a magician with string. Show them to you with the words written.

These perceptions hit my childhood emotions and flowered into darkness.

I watched an animal die in the last of the sunset.

I saw all the young males hunting.

Drawing a first love and not knowing it wasn’t real until now when the love was suddenly there and here.

Making a drawing of it, the first love.

And finding someone finally to show it to. Only now

See, look. This is me.

I rejoiced to hear strange movement in the dark places of my soul. And I listened for the monsters amongst the trees. These were my joys. My loves before you.

Manning the falcon. Flying. Secrets.  No one remembered, but one, saying I love you.

She died.

The votes then of my feet in each step away from home. Away from my familiar landscape. Finally away from my country. Nothing here for me in any tense or intent. Only ghosts silently covering land across the dusk. An owl in the silent fading light. Hunting for the joys of my life.

Foreign places and learning. Learning how to please and starving in the holidays. The high hot south and the sunflowers. The Latin and the arguments. The large, slow history river catching an afternoon sun.

The larger deaths. And preferring them alone. Still not showing.

Then quietly, slowly, gently, the return, knowing more. The strings of a sunrise capturing my fading heart. The wonder coming with the light. Appearing on a horizon of loose hopes. The birdsong repeated. The start of loving myself once more.

Hints of you out there in the fields, waiting. A brief fragrance hiding on a soft breeze. A kiss in the late afternoon. And a joy in the wonder of knowing.

You came. Then you were here in bright loveliness. We loved and were gossamer  fine. And I showed you all the wonders of my experience. The joys of my long world. Then you saw and then you loved me.

 

© 2013 Ken Simm.


Author's Note

Ken Simm.
The photo is mine and is called The Pond. Leda was seduced by Zeus in the form of a Swan. Everybody knows of Icarus. A teal is a small diving duck. This one was a brightly plumaged male.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Where do I start? This is enchanting, Ken. You`ve produced a window into your mind - of your volition and your raison d`etre that`s a poetic synopsis for your autobiography that makes me want to take it from you and write it as your biography. Thanks for sharing this, mate. P.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I did didn't I. Ooops. Won't do it again Pete, sorry.
Thanks for the wonderful review my mate.



Reviews

An absolutely beautiful picture you have painted here in words that makes a reader want to visit this land and time and take part. Eloquent and touching....so many adjectives to describe this poem Ken, I am at a loss to choose but a few because this transcends the boundaries of just a nature poem like frost would write. If I had to assign a simple word I would choose "artistry." well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

And I am at a loss to how to thank you for your wonderful words. ll I cn really do is thank you.
the whole "girl shining" stanza is brilliant...

your poetry is so full of hope, whereas mine seems often adrift in sarcasm and cynical waves...

you show that poets can still write with a believe in positive outcome...and that love really can be "gossamer fine"!

thank you for this uplifting piece.

jacob

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

What wonderful things to say Jacob. I'm glad you think that you can see hope. Its what I'm feeling a.. read more
Jesus, man. You gave me the gift of your light there for a second.....

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

What a thing to say. I am touched, thank you.
If I were a piece of driftwood, I'd choose your stream to float in. Moments are fleeting; yet there is so much open space to discover. The images you write about, are both perplexing and enchanting. Every word sucked me deeper into an Eden that has been tainted by human blood and a dark reality of truth. Clearly you remembered how it felt to be loved...you remembered how it felt to be wanted; and now...you observe what was lost, feet firm on the ground, with your head in the clouds, you keep a close eye on brightly lit future.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I was told that was always my problem, my head was in the clouds. such a poetic statement.
Tha.. read more
This is the poetic equivalent of looking at snapshots of a person's pivotal moments in life. Each image is strong, complete and stands alone, sometimes beautiful and sometimes blunt, harsh - but saturated with importance, with meaning and at the end the uptake. Not all stories have a happy ending but those that do...well it makes it all the more poignant.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

A precis of life. Yes that is what it is. Thank you for looking so carefully and understanding.
Thought both painting and poem were undeniably lovely--despite reference to the poet's Frankensteinian dissection of a swan.
I suppose, for access to the work of an artist so gifted, we are expected to overlook a few peccadillos.
Hopefully, only a few, Ken.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I thought I was Leonardo in those days Frank. Thank you once again for all the support. I hope only .. read more
FJ Davis

10 Years Ago

Was kinda kidding, Ken--not about how much I enjoyed your work, however.
Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

So was I Frank but I did tend to think a lot of myself then. Are peccadillos related to Armadilloes .. read more
These gestalt statements set in the filigreed branches of trees ... Stunning words! I so enjoyed reading this one, it got me lost into the place you wrote about, superb!!
Helen

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Helen. I saw all things in the trees. You would be surprised.
TrimarcoRansome

10 Years Ago

I am a lover of nature too, also studied Gestalt at Uni, I was unsure if you referred to the shape o.. read more
Here we go, Ken. Another stumbling review! Your words had me following a young boy living in his books, seeking visions as he explored the world. Growing older and figuring things out by way of reading and studying his surroundings and people. Longing for that one true mate that he wouldn't have to explain things to, the one who would just know. Did I get anywhere close? Always, I hover around your words, they make me feel things, Ken. This one made me wistful and soft with my own yearning. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

The pond is in the village I live in.
Angi

10 Years Ago

You don't have to worry about creativity. You are loaded with the stuff, Ken. That pond would be o.. read more
Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I pass it four times a day on the way to and back from my horse. You are too kind Anji. I do try...... read more
Such an extraordinary write! With your words you built a scene where I felt I could smell nature and feel the rain on my face. There is something unique and delightful about the way you use words to paint these images, and I so enjoyed the lines,
" These gestalt statements set in the filigreed branches of trees and matters of childish perception." filigreed branches...beautiful, and "Then quietly, slowly, gently, the return, knowing more. The strings of a sunrise capturing my fading heart." I am mesmerized...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I think, as someone has said, its the painter in me. Now you have made my day Veronica. Thank you.
Ken Simm.

10 Years Ago

I used to see so many landcapes in trees. I still do come to that.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

786 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 30, 2013
Last Updated on May 31, 2013
Tags: love, lives, memoir, memory, romance, looking, nature, boy, child, childhood, history, biography, old, thinking, story

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing
Mort Mort

A Story by Ken Simm.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..