A Pipistrelle in Winter.

A Pipistrelle in Winter.

A Poem by Ken Simm.
"

A small rewrite for the season.

"

Fly instead, should be feeling.
A wing, a dusk and shattered dreaming,
Repose, create, furred life complete
To demonstrate a fleeting sleep.

 

Suppose instead you stay once waked
Suppose preyed eye prick restless state
Searched only for each precious night
A moth, to dust, seeking light.

 

An ice filled window, a leaded pane
A purple sky, stilled weather vane
A screaming moon, reflect frost battered
Uncooled blood prey, its silence tattered

 

Despite still flies, hard reason crushed
Beats still small heart and soft claw touched
Fierce is hate, concern each beating
Awake this time, cold hold is stealing.

 

A small respite, a single flame

A doom filled cold this season blame.

Contrast the night with darkened spire

Of church, of faith, each piece entire

 

In dark winged fold, webbed belfry hold

Accept embracing bright eyed cold.

This winter roars, the ice stick spike
Rage red the hunt, still that it might

Then ghost of all with leathered wing
The crushed body of, this one small thing.

 

© 2019 Ken Simm.


Author's Note

Ken Simm.
A Pipistrelle is the UK's smallest bat. The one's in my loft are hibernating well. The image is mine and is of the loch behind my house in winter. The words are Scots (not Gaelic Scots is a language in its own right).for Merry Christmas.
This is an old one rewritten slightly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Image and salutation were most welcomed.

The imagined or recollected death of a dwarfish bat was never portrayed so exquisitely,
so gorgeously--and with such far-reaching, significant insights.
Ya dun good, Ken; ya dun good!



Posted 4 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

Many, many thanks my friend. I hope you are well.
So tiny, such ethereal creatures of the night, yet equally as beautiful anything that that lives by day.

Such a lovely poem, celebrating as it does, one of God's most fascinating creations.

Beccy.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

Thank you Beccy. Much appreciated and Happy New Year.
Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

One of these creatures in the wrong place at the wrong time however.
Ken! I don't know how you are able to capture so much ...just out your back door .. truly you are blessed and double blessed :)
What creatures of the night the bats are ... had to look up your smallest version .. fits easily in one's hand .. all bats are so ugly ... and when they get a foothold in loft or other closeted space .. they are there forrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeverrrrrrrrrrrr! They are protected here in the States and can only be removed by a licensed bat remover ... very costly ... we have a lot of caves nearby ... some very large and cavernous ... that are home to thousands of bats ... Norma does not like them at all but I love to watch them doing there thing in the light of dusk ... i especially like the contrast of the bat's nocturnal habits with the moths' attraction to light ... making easy prey for Mr. Bat ... yet not really ... like vampires the light repulsing them ;) I feel a strong sense of meaning in the closing lines .. but it escapes me ... i think of bats in winter's sleep dreaming of the hunt ... perhaps a risk they may take if wakened even a little ... brave the cold ... seek the moth .... i am pondering this one my friend ... peace on Earth sir!
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

I have Pippistrelles in my loft and during Summer there are larger Daubenton bats over the loch as t.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

well ... for me you certainly got me thinking just that ... if they braved the cold ... counter prod.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
We often sit out at dusk, wife, daughter, ma in law and watch as the bats perform near impossible aerobatiics through trees and houses.
Beautifully written Mr Simm, more than an artust.
Merry Christmas to ya, hope all is well.
Cheers

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

Thank you very much my friend and Seasons Greetings to all the above mentioned.
Nollaig chridheil agus bliadhna mhath ur:) what a beautiful sight to have out your window but the one within your head is equally as striking good sir! The beauty of the starkness of winter is so very deceptive yet in its harshness lie a truth rarely found within the other seasons winter shows no mercy in its brutal honesty comes a familiar tone tome... glance my beauty and purity of intent, but never rest... for within my arms you will not wake:)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

Glad that you have seen that and I hope your festive season is as bright and warm as you can make it.. read more
Color, dark and light, vivid and subdued. You truly are an artist with paint and with words, Ken. If they hibernate, they are smart if you ask me. When I lived in the Northeast of the US, I would have loved to hibernate for the colder months. Great rhyming in this one. Lydi**

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much and Seasons Greetings Lydi.
Try again Ken. First review seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Very atmospheric poem; dark and light in combination. They are such delicate little things, yet have such a voracious appetite for their size. And they seem pretty sensible to me as well, hibernating as they do over winter and well into Spring.

I expect you would enjoy 'The Bat' written by Ruth Pitter. She is not ever so well known, but is now a favourite of mine. Beccy introduced me to her a while back.

T

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

You are too kind my friend. Many, many thanks and I will certainly seek out that poem. Here's wishin.. read more
You write the most delicate of poetry. Ken.Seems you're able in a phrase to paint one of your beautiful canvasses with amazing ease Your mind creates colour and shadow, both vivid and subtle. This poem is no exception.. and is, for me, memorable in that we have pipistrelles down here! Have known one to take a figure of eight jaunt over my rear garden and make for my head then - turn way as if to say, 'Only joking!

What a wonderful poem.. truly wonderful, 'Repose, create, furred life complete - To demonstrate a fleeting sleep.... '

Posted 4 Years Ago


emmajoy

4 Years Ago

I thought it might be. Wish you'd record those Gaelic, words, Ken!
Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

Why? I can't speak Gaelic.
A bheil Gàidhlig agat?
emmajoy

4 Years Ago

If you say so, Mr. Simm... was just a thought..

back to the kitchen i go!
Great write Ken on the smallest bat which I might add I didn't know til now. MerryXmas to you and yours Ken.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

4 Years Ago

Many thanks and yuletide greetings back at you.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
11 Reviews
Added on December 23, 2019
Last Updated on December 23, 2019
Tags: winter, cold, season, flying, bat, nature

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing