A Moon rises

A Moon rises

A Story by Ken Simm.

 

A moon rises.

I am in my bedroom, my old bedroom back at the old house, dark.

I suppose it is getting late.

The times my Mother would shout – sleep – knowing I was still awake, reading.

Always reading, anything I could get my hands on.

I read Poe late at night with a frisson of fear. A dirty yellow paperback, Tales of Mystery & Imagination, the colour of old urine. A bet with my cousin who I had stolen the book from.

Waking later and shouting.

Back to sleep, in that bed. I always hated the dark then. Always the same sheets, pink and blue candystripe, always the same candlewick bedspread.

A mattress that sagged towards the middle.

Was this Grandads bed? Was this where he died? Did he cut his wrists with me in the room? Honestly?

My sister hated me for that, never again come to play in my bed on Sunday mornings. Sitting in a depression of the bed with my fist in the air, a wigwam as her playing abode.


 


 

All my smallnesses are gone. In the way I remember it. My precious books on three shelves. My notebooks and the drawings on the wall. All these I burned gloriously on the highest slagheap I could find. In heathen temper after a severe beating from my Father.

He will stand for hours at that window, he loves his birds”.

I would be looking across the canal to the lake. The sanctuary they called it. As it had signs that proclaimed ‘Any person caught with dog or gun on this land will be prosecuted’ The farmhouse on the far side of the lake was built in 1610 and had a moat.


 

That stupid looking, he doesn’t get from your side, that’s me straight through.” Said my Father to my Mother, wrongly.

So I’m a little Dictator, am I? I’m worse than Hitler am I? So I’m petty?” These words I had stupidly written in my diary. I had several, I started many, finished none. Of course he would read them in his slow stumbling way. It was a bloody idiotic thing to do. Perhaps a touch safer than saying it to his face.


 


 


 


 


 


 

Come here, you little bugger, I’ll wring your bloody neck for you. I’ll swing for you yet”.

Come here you little sod! I’ll teach you to grin at me!”

I was grinning in fear. I could never help it. The psychology of this he could never understand. It always made it worse.

Christ, when I catch up we thee” Broad Lancashire punctuated with hated spittle.

Mother, when present, which was never often. She more usually was off with one or more of eight Sisters.

Now, look you’ve made his nose bleed. It’s all over his school shirt. I’ll never get that out” How embarrassing for her. “Come here, lets have a look at it” Wiping my face clean with hated spittle. “Keep still while I wash it. KEEP STILL or your Dad will give you another”.

My sister would slide down the wall in a corner to get away from him. I would stand in front of her. She would curl into a tight ball, a good survival technique. Whereas I would grin at him. Clever, eh?

You two, you always got a good hiding when you were kids and it never did you any harm, did it?

No Dad.

Did you hate me? He said.

No Dad.

Do you love me, I know I’m an ugly bugger?”

All this he would say in later conscience. He would ‘donkey rub’ unshaven chin against my child’s softness. Or he would rub both my ears until they burned. Until I was thirteen. Afterwards he would squeeze my cheeks as his sign of affection or kiss me until my lips were sore.

There is nowt, yer Father can’t do” with an emphasis in true Lancashire style on the ‘a’ in Father. Flattening all vowels.

Oh he’s a good lad, never says owt to anybody. Allus got ‘is head buried in some bloody book. Or ees walking cross those bloody fields. Ee knows round here like back of his bloody hand. Ee goes ower to yon mon at farm oe’er theer, o’er Leeshi. I’ll go with thi some day lad; tha can show me what tha finds to look at. Beats me what ee finds so interesting. When I was on t’council, they asked me if they could go oe’er theer wi’t nets and suchlike, ringin’ them birds. So ah said aye if yon mon could go wi them. Nair ee’s never away. Its wonderful what this owd Dad can do for thee, in’t it?” All this with pint in hand to his cronies at the Working Men’s club


 


 


 

I went with toy binoculars kept in a plastic bag together with my sandwiches and a signed letter from the council clerk. We caught and ringed several Goldfinch. I drew them. I was ten and it changed my life.


 

© 2008 Ken Simm.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

How this burns into the mind, the characters, the scenes, the hurt and bewilderment, the memories.. THE ALL .. I know things happen, leave a mark for ever and ever but this leaves a tragic amen. This seems to be thR time when things began to dilute but somehow develop, same time. And all through is Ken's way of 'speaking' thoughts, of placing them delicately and asking to share.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews



its the way that you tell em sir .. like no other I know in the Café .. little wonder that your life was changed .. how could it not be .. Top notch as always .................... Neville

Posted 2 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

2 Years Ago

I don't know how you find these old ones sir. Thank you so much and for the Frank Carson mention.
The scrambled nature of your art is amazingly fitting for this rambling account of a difficult childhood. I hope this is not autobiographical, but it resembled my own childhood so much, I found it hard to read, your honesty is so blunt, almost like I was actually receiving blows as I read along. I am fascinated by your ability to write in a way that resembles paint scribbles . . . something visual here, something sensory there, jagged pieces that come together into a cohesive tapestry. Before I forget, here's wishing joyous days ahead for you & your loved ones (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
I enjoyed this story. You extracted so many emotions throughout the whole thing.

You made it relateable for everyone with one piece or another in this story.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much my friend.
Hi Ken, I was "wandering" today. This has me remembering - neither bad nor good - just remembering. Sometimes the images being cast overwhelm our nows with realizations of how "why's" came about.

Merry almost Christmas Ken... take care.

Chris

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

6 Years Ago

So true Chris. Glad you went awandering. Sorry about what you found. Thank you so much for your insi.. read more
Chris

6 Years Ago

Life makes us the people we are... no sorries Ken.
so much i can say about the boy ...he has such a spirit and charachter says i ;) really like the duality of the spital ..yet both hated ....as tragic a tale as can be told ...lots that is relatable for me as the bed i slept in when visiting Granny ...it was me uncle's bed..and how you have added a new and somewhat disturbing aspect in the wringing of bird necks ... yet...you drew them ..my brother in law is an artist and goes to museums and such to make use of stuffed birds to take home and study for his paintings ... he paints all the layers of feathers ..to over perfection..i think his art is called photo art ..
i really like "frisson of fear" ... oooooooo would make a great title says i! in a year or two perhaps it will pop into me noodle and i will exclaim how the muse has struck me with a new title :)))))))) love and peace Ken ... respect sir!
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

6 Years Ago

Thankyou E. The ringing was placing rings on the birds legs to study them. I met a scientist who was.. read more
Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

ahhhh haaaa THAT kind of ringing! duh! it all becomes more clear now ;) I will look for that presen.. read more
Ken Simm.

6 Years Ago

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Ken%20Simm/432642/
Being raised in a family of 9 children, the crowdedness, I also remember. Both grand dads coming to stay the winter. Where did they sleep I still wonder. A strict father, not often spanked. No third chances at the same thing though. Happy until grand dad died and mom became a different person. Childhood sticks doesn't it? Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

7 Years Ago

It certainly does Kathie. But would we be who we are now? One wonders. Thank you for looking through.. read more
Enjoyed your bed-bath-and-beyond painting.
An absolutely harrowing tale--mostly, of course, because you told it so well.
An exquisitely portrayed poetic account, Ken!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ken Simm.

9 Years Ago

Almost had forgotten this. Almost,
Great rant Ken. I can hear his voice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


More reality than we bargained for; more art than the poet knows.
Simultaneously, horrifying and magnificent.
Your early years, Ken, are classic literature.
Stunning!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

I revisited this in a Confounded Letter called The Reality of Good Drunks. I hope you will find some.. read more
Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Of course only if you wish to and thank you so much for the wonderful support.
How this burns into the mind, the characters, the scenes, the hurt and bewilderment, the memories.. THE ALL .. I know things happen, leave a mark for ever and ever but this leaves a tragic amen. This seems to be thR time when things began to dilute but somehow develop, same time. And all through is Ken's way of 'speaking' thoughts, of placing them delicately and asking to share.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

660 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cully Cully

A Story by Ken Simm.