B-Sides: Track Two

B-Sides: Track Two

A Stage Play by Kevin
"

Scene Two of Eleven. "A twenty-seven year old despondent writer and a sixteen year old musician form a profound attachment to each other through their love of David Bowie."

"

 

 

 

TRACK TWO

[Lights up on Josh, 26, sitting stage right at a table alone. He is tall, gangly, and has long hair with a bushy beard. Two beers are on the table before him. One untouched and one completely empty. He is banging quarters against the table trying to make it in his empty glass. He overshoots one and it lands in the glass with the beer still in it. He looks around, dips his fingers in it, and takes the quarter out.]

[Clive walks in excitedly, wearing what he was wearing the scene before. He sees Josh at the table and goes to sit down.]

CLIVE

S**t. I’m late.

                   JOSH

Yeah, like two hours. You said you wanted to have a few drinks tonight, I tried calling.

                   CLIVE

I know. I was hanging out with someone, I completely forgot.

                   JOSH

Someone other than Sarah and me?

                   CLIVE

You guys aren’t my only friends.

                   JOSH

Name one.

                   CLIVE

Martin.

                   JOSH

What’s his last name?

                   CLIVE

Uh…Riggs.      

JOSH

From Lethal Weapon?

                   CLIVE

We met at Union Square.

                   JOSH

You and Riggs?

                   CLIVE

No, me and this girl.

                   JOSH

You didn’t say it was a girl.

                   CLIVE

What does it matter?

                   JOSH

What does it matter? Dude, you’re in a relationship. A successful one that’s been going on for almost two years. You guys live together. You can’t go hang out with some girl that you just met for two hours when you’re in that kind of relationship. And your eyes are bloodshot as f**k. So either you’ve been crying or smoking a lot of pot…or both. You can’t cry and smoke pot with a girl you just met in that kind of relationship.

                   CLIVE

It’s not like that, man. I was just trying to break the routine a bit. I met this girl, we started chatting, it was nice. She was cool.

                   JOSH

Where’d you meet her?

                   CLIVE

Over at Union Square on my way over here.

                   JOSH

Weren’t you supposed to watch a movie with Sarah tonight?

CLIVE

Yeah, I bailed on that.

                   JOSH

Classy.

                   CLIVE

I’ll make it up to her. It’s not like I won’t.

JOSH

You didn’t make up some story that painted me as a loser, again did you?

CLIVE

              (Points to the beer)

Is this my beer?

                   JOSH

Goddammit, man. You’re girlfriend must think I’m pathetic.

                   CLIVE

That’s not important.

                   JOSH

What did you tell her?

                   CLIVE

Who?

                    JOSH

Who? Sarah.

                   CLIVE

What did I tell her what?

                   JOSH

About me, to get you to come here.

                   CLIVE

I told her that you finally looked at the French girl you like’s Facebook and saw that she had a boyfriend.

              [There is a pause. Josh looks horrified.]

                   JOSH

Is this true?

                   CLIVE

Yeah, Sarah bought it. I mean, I’m a good liar-

                   JOSH

No, that Marion has a boyfriend.

                   CLIVE

Yeah, back home, in France.

                   JOSH

Son of a b***h.

CLIVE

Seriously, you need to get a Facebook. This is how this s**t happens.

                   JOSH

She has a French boyfriend?

                   CLIVE

Well, to her he’s probably just a boyfriend.

                   JOSH

This is bullshit. That’s not fair. How am I supposed to compete with Jean-Claude.

                   CLIVE

Pierre, actually.

                    JOSH

This is fucked.

                   CLIVE

Why does everyone go for Jean-Claude? I would think Pierre to be the logical stereotype.

                   JOSH

Does he have, like, a pencil moustache, and wear a beret and a red and white striped shirt and drive a gondola?

                   CLIVE

No, he’s an actual person.

                   JOSH

              (Putting his head on the table)

F**k!

                   CLIVE

Do the French even drive gondolas?

                   JOSH

I don’t know.

(Long pause)

                   CLIVE

Anyways, I was walking down Powell, and I crossed through Union Square on my way over here and there this girl was, standing over on the side of the street, selling artwork. She was surrounded by little stands with her work on it and playing this electric guitar plugged into a tiny amp. And she was rocking it dude. People were just walking right by, totally oblivious. Guess what song she was playing?

                   JOSH

What?

                   CLIVE

Ziggy Stardust, man. I just stood there, amazed, and watched her, it was like I was hearing the song for the first time again. When she finished, she looked at me and saw that I had this Bowie shirt on and asked me if I liked Bowie and I was like “I f*****g love him” and we just stood there, for fifteen minutes, people walking all around us, talking about Bowie, about what songs of his we liked, what albums we loved. We totally related, you know? Just some random girl playing a song on some street and I was the only one who actually stopped to listen. After a while, she asked if I wanted to go up to the park over there, by the cathedral, and smoke some pot, so, I did. And we kept talking, and we smoked a lot, and I lost track of time, and when I looked down at my phone I realized that you had called me a bunch of times and that I had wanted to hang out with you. So she gave me her number, and told me to call her if I wanted to hang out sometime, and then I headed off to meet with you. So…that’s why I’m late.

                   JOSH

And there’s nothing between you and this girl?

                   CLIVE

Nothing at all. Just friends.

                   JOSH

Yeah, I don’t know, man. You better watch out.

                   CLIVE

There’s nothing to watch out for. Even if there was it wouldn’t work out.

JOSH

Is she ugly?

                   CLIVE

No, she’s beautiful.

                   JOSH

Oh, yeah, definitely nothings gonna happen then.

                   CLIVE

No, man. She’s…in school.

                   JOSH

Really, Clive? This keeps getting worse. You’re telling me nothings gonna happen between you and the beautiful horny college girl who sells artwork and plays Bowie songs on the street corner. That’s basically your soul mate.

                   CLIVE

Josh, look at me. Nothing is going to happen between us.

                   JOSH

Whatever, man. I’ll take your word for it. What college does she go to?

                   CLIVE

              (Picking up his beer)

Huh.

                   JOSH

She doesn’t go to that Academy of F*****g Art University with all those ugly signs all over the city does she?

                   CLIVE

No.

                   JOSH

USF? Berkeley? City College?

                   CLIVE

High School.

              (He takes a swig of his beer.)

                   JOSH

She’s in f*****g high school!?

                   CLIVE

Why does this taste weird?

                   JOSH

She’s in high school, man? Is she a senior?

[The lights upstage turn on to reveal Mayya; sitting on the park bench packing a bowl. The two continue talking.]    

                   CLIVE

Junior.

                   JOSH

How old?

                   CLIVE

Sixteen.

                   JOSH

That’s fucked up.

CLIVE

Why is it fucked up? We just hung out.

                   JOSH

And smoked pot. Which might be a felony or something, I don’t know the law. There has to be a law about not doing illegal drugs-

                   CLIVE

Technically illegal.

                   JOSH

With a minor! What the f**k man? That’s not cool.

CLIVE

We talked. That’s all. I probably won’t ever see her again.

                   JOSH

I don’t know. I don’t think it’s a good idea.

[Clive gets up as the lights fade on the table. He walks over and sits next to Mayya. She hands him the bowl.]

CLIVE

Aladdin Sane?

                   MAYYA

Not my favorite. But Cracked Actor is fun to play.

                   CLIVE

I’m sure it is. What’s your favorite?

                   MAYYA

Song of his? Dude, I don’t know. Impossible decision.

CLIVE

I know. It’s a total Sophie’s choice. Bowie’s just so…

                   MAYYA

Cosmic.

                   CLIVE

That’s the only word to describe him.

                   MAYYA

Cosmic.

                   CLIVE

Like, honestly, I just think he sits in, like, a wooden chair, in the middle of an empty room, all day. Cus he’s like “I’ve already done everything there is to do, haven’t I?

                   MAYYA

Just waits for some spaceship to come take him away.

                   CLIVE

Which will probably happen. I swear to God first contact will have something to do with him. Oh, you’ve seen The Man Who Fell to Earth, right?

                   MAYYA

No.

CLIVE

No? Holy s**t. You need to see it. It’s about Bowie, right, and he…he’s like an alien that comes to Earth to retrieve water for his dying planet or something, and he becomes an inventor cus he knows about all this alien technology, and he becomes super rich and just starts to fall into this celebrity status with sex, drugs, and s**t and becomes addicted to TV. And he forgets his mission of why he came to earth in the first place and becomes depressed so he becomes a rock star and writes these songs for and about his home planet cus he knows his home planet will hear them and this is his like apology cus he feels like he failed them…spoiler alert.

                   MAYYA

Sounds sad.

                   CLIVE

It really is. But I’m positive that Bowie didn’t even know they were filming. He probably just chilled out like normal and Nicolas Roeg was able to make this movie around it. He seems like he would walk around in his living room wearing an alien costume; or watch a thousand TV’s at once. Plus he’s naked in, like, a lot of the movie and David Bowie is crazy hung. It like brushes his kneecap; it’s not good for anyone’s self-esteem.

                   MAYYA

I remember being terrified of his package when I watched Labyrinth as a kid.

                   CLIVE

Right? That s**t is way too big and protruding to be in a f*****g kid’s movie.

                   MAYYA

It deserved its own billing. The credits should have read, “starring Jennifer Connolly, David Bowie, and David Bowie’s massive dick…In a cameo.”

              [Silence]

CLIVE

I remember this one time, when I was in college, and I don’t why this happened, or even why this thought is coming to me right now, but I was in this acting class and it was like the second week and I didn’t know anybody and I was sitting behind these two girls. And one girl was just coughing up a storm; she was really sick and looking miserable, so she leans over to the girl next to her and says “Hey, do you happen to have a cough drop? I’m dying over here.” And the other girl said “No. Sorry.” and everything. And she just keeps on coughing. Now, I had a couple of cough drops in my bag cus I had just been sick, so I thought, I’ll be really cool right now and offer her one and she’ll think that I’m like this really cool guy, so I did, I offered her a cough drop and she was like “Oh my god, thank you. Thank you so much”, and she took one and she was just so grateful, and I swear to God the first thought that came in my mind was, “What if I just f*****g punched her in the face right now?”

[Mayya laughs]

What if I just hit her like really hard? She’d be so confused, she’d be like “Why? What did I do?”

MAYYA

She would never accept another cough drop for the rest of her life. She’d be terrified of them.

                   CLIVE

And no one would know why. It would be this big mystery between her family and friends.

                   MAYYA

“Now, kids, don’t offer your grandmother a cough drop. She will attack you.”

              [They both laugh. Long pause.]

                   CLIVE

I’m gonna have to go back home soon.

                   MAYYA

To your girlfriend?

                   CLIVE

Yeah.

                   MAYYA

You don’t want to?

                   CLIVE

Not really.

                   MAYYA

Do you not like her?

                   CLIVE

I don’t know.

                   MAYYA

Then break up with her.

                   CLIVE

It’s not that simple.

                   MAYYA

Life’s too short to be in bad relationships.

                   CLIVE

What do you know about relationships? You’re like twelve years old.

              [Pause]

                   MAYYA

I’ve been in love.

                   CLIVE

No, you just thought you were. You’re sixteen.

                   MAYYA

Then I thought I loved him. How different is thinking you’re in love with someone and actually being in love with them? It still hurts the same.

              [Pause]

CLIVE

What happened?

                   MAYYA

We…had to stop seeing each other.

CLIVE

Were you two…?

MAYYA

He was my first.

                   CLIVE

I’m sorry. That’s tough.

MAYYA

What’s wrong with your girlfriend?

                   CLIVE

I don’t know. It makes me feel like s**t that I don’t know. She loves me. a lot, and it’s just…I don’t know. There’s just nothing there when I look at her. Whenever I’m with her I feel like I’m watching myself in a play or something. It makes me miserable.

                   MAYYA

You should spend some time with my mother than.

                   CLIVE

How so?

MAYYA

Cus…she’s a b***h. She drinks, and when I say she drinks, I mean she’s actually an alcoholic, with a problem. Not like some girls I listen to at my school who say “Oh, my mother is a major alcoholic.” Like, showing up drunk in your own home after a party and s**t isn’t being an alcoholic, and if your mother was really an alcoholic with a real addiction than you wouldn’t be telling a group of people at the lunch tables at school, you just want attention and sympathy. I wanna strangle those girls.

                   CLIVE

What does she do?

              MAYYA

My mother? She’s the head pianist at the San Francisco Ballet.

                   CLIVE

Holy s**t, that’s a big gig.

                   MAYYA

It is. She’s talented, really talented.

                   CLIVE

All of that rubbed off on you.

                   MAYYA

I’m doing a show next Saturday night. You should come see me.

                   CLIVE

Next Saturday?

              [takes out his phone to check the date]

I don’t know, I’ll probably be…and holy s**t it’s ten o’clock. I was supposed to meet up with a friend.

              [Gets up to leave]

Do you need me to walk you home or anything?

                   MAYYA

I’m a big girl. I think I’ll be fine.

CLIVE

Okay, well; I’m gonna head out then. Uh…thanks for the weed. I’ll see you around, Mayya.

              [Lights fade on them]

© 2013 Kevin


Author's Note

Kevin
This is a very rough first draft of the full length I just finished; I would be tremendously grateful of any opinions or suggestions for it; it's a story I'm rather passionate about and would like to know just how much work I have left to do on it; more scenes to follow

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on April 19, 2013
Last Updated on April 19, 2013
Tags: Play, Theatre, Drama, David Bowie, Music

Author

Kevin
Kevin

Jersey City, NJ



About
Looking for opinions and tips on what I'm working on more..

Writing
B-Sides: Track Eleven B-Sides: Track Eleven

A Stage Play by Kevin


B-Sides: Track Ten B-Sides: Track Ten

A Stage Play by Kevin


B-Sides: Track Nine B-Sides: Track Nine

A Stage Play by Kevin