B-Sides: Track Four

B-Sides: Track Four

A Stage Play by Kevin
"

Scene Four of Eleven. "A twenty-seven year old despondent writer and a sixteen year old musician form a profound attachment to each other through their love of David Bowie."

"

 

 

 

TRACK FOUR

[Josh is sitting at the table. He has three beers in front of him. Two are empty and he’s working on the third. Clive storms in.]

     CLIVE

What the f**k, dude?

                   JOSH

Clive, it was an accident.

                   CLIVE

Sarah’s gonna dump my a*s on the street now.

                   JOSH

Just tell her that you met this girl and you were hanging out with her. You’re allowed to have female friends, aren’t you?

                   CLIVE

Yeah, but not girls that I hang out with after blowing off a date she had surprised me with and lying to her face; telling her I was hanging out with you.

                   JOSH

Maybe you should stop using me as an excuse to not hang out with your girlfriend then.

                   CLIVE

Or maybe you should f*****g think for once.

                   JOSH

Chill out.

                   CLIVE

I am so fucked.

                   JOSH

Go home. Talk to Sarah. Explain what’s up.

                   CLIVE

I did. She’s not home; she’s probably at one of her friends house. 

                   JOSH

Oh well.

CLIVE

“Oh well.” That’s all you have to say is, “oh well?”

                   JOSH

Hey, I’m not here to solve your problems man. That’s your job.

                   CLIVE

You got me into this.

                   JOSH

No, you got you into this. What did you think would happen? That Sarah will just be okay with you spending all your time with some underage girl?

                   CLIVE

She should trust-

                   JOSH

No, she shouldn’t trust you. I don’t trust you. You don’t even really trust yourself, I mean, look at you. You’ve been more excited and upbeat this past week than you’ve been since…what happened. When was the last time you hung out with James?

                   CLIVE

How do you…?

                   JOSH

I know.

                   CLIVE

Like, two weeks.

                   JOSH

That’s good. You seem better. And it’s not like Sarah and I don’t notice that. This girl makes you happy, and it makes me happy to see that you’re happy. It really does. But I think that you’ll lose more than you’ll gain by hanging out with this girl. Sarah loves you. She’s the best thing about you and she’s always been on your side. She stayed with you after dropping out of college, and after your mother died, after what happened six months ago, after you quitting your job, during your disgusting beard phase.

                   CLIVE

It wasn’t that bad.  

JOSH

She’s been with you through all of this and now both of you are thinking that you’re going to cheat on her.

                   CLIVE

I would never…

                   JOSH

You wouldn’t, but…my little brother goes to Mayya’s high school. He knows about her. People at that school all know about her.

                   CLIVE

Why?

                   JOSH

She…do you want me to buy you a beer or something.

[Lights up on the upstage bench. Mayya sits by herself texting on her phone.]           

CLIVE

What did she do?

                   JOSH

She slept with one of her teachers.

                   CLIVE

Mayya wouldn’t do that.

                   JOSH

She did. It’s not speculation, its fact.

                   CLIVE

Why are you telling me this?

                   JOSH

Because she’s clearly into older people. People that seem more knowledgeable and experienced. You’re eleven years older than her. You’re almost otherworldly, and you say that there are no romantic feelings on your end, and whether or not that’s true, you can’t say the same on hers.

[Mayya puts her phone down. Seconds later Clive reaches into his pocket and checks his.]

     CLIVE

I have to go.

              [Clive begins to walk away.]

                   JOSH

You’re seeing her tonight, again, aren’t you? Just break it off. If there’s really nothing there then it won’t be hard.

              [Clive leaves]

[Lights fade out on Josh as Clive walks over and sits next to Mayya.]

     CLIVE

I got your text.

                   MAYYA

Clearly, since you’re here and everything.

                   CLIVE

Just making conversation.

                   MAYYA

We didn’t get a chance to talk after the show.

                   CLIVE

I got a phone call. I had to go.

                   MAYYA

Did you like it?

                   CLIVE

Mayya, you were wonderful. You really were.

                   MAYYA

Thank you.

                   CLIVE

Were…uh…any of your friends at the show? I didn’t see anyone there that looked your age.

                   MAYYA

The kids from my school don’t usually go to my shows.

                   CLIVE

You were awesome, people should have seen you.

MAYYA

I’m actually not the most popular girl at school.

                   CLIVE

You don’t have a boyfriend or a best friend or anyone to come see you?

                   MAYYA

What was your phone call about?

CLIVE

It was my friend Josh. He was having some trouble with something. He needed to see me.

                   MAYYA

Can I meet him?

                   CLIVE

Josh?

                   MAYYA

Yeah.

                   CLIVE

Why would you want to meet him?

                   MAYYA

Because I do. I want to meet your friends. I want to see the people you hang out with.

                   CLIVE

I don’t think that’s a good idea.

                   MAYYA

Because I’m young? Dude, it’s cool. I mostly only ever hang out with people older than me. It’s not a big deal, I could even meet your girlfriend.

                   CLIVE

Mayya…

              [Long pause]

When you become a big and famous rock star you should write a song about me.

                   MAYYA

What would it be called?

                   CLIVE

I don’t know, you’re the song writer. Just make it upbeat

                   MAYYA

What would it be about?

                   CLIVE

A poet who never became famous and just disappeared into history.

                   MAYYA

That’s sad.

                   CLIVE

But it isn’t. Because even though he never got the fame and praise that he had always wanted, he had written this one poem. This one beautiful piece of art, and he was able to live the rest of his life satisfied, knowing that he was responsible for this great work, and although maybe no one will ever read it, or know that he had written it, he knew. That’s all that mattered. That made his life worth it.

              [Pause]

                   MAYYA

I’ll write it, as long as you write a play about me.

                   CLIVE

That’s never going to happen.

                   MAYYA

Why not?

                   CLIVE

Because…I’m not really a writer. I just like to say I am but I’ve never actually written anything. I like the idea of it. I just want to travel the world and see places. Live in cabins and drink scotch till I pass out then wake up and go walking through the woods. Be a part of the world without having to actually be a part of it. Have a dog, and smoke pipes, and wear tweed, and grow a beard-

                   MAYYA

You’d look terrible with a beard.

                   CLIVE

I wouldn’t…and I’d just want to escape everything.

                   MAYYA

What do you need to escape?

                   CLIVE

People, I guess. I feel like I’m always putting up this false front around the people I know.

                   MAYYA

You don’t have to put up a false front with me.

                   CLIVE

You’re sweet.

                   MAYYA

Would you take me with you? When you run away?

                   CLIVE

It would defeat the purpose of wanting to escape people, but since you asked, I’ll think about it.

                   MAYYA

I could chop wood, or cook, or hunt wild animals in the woods.

                   CLIVE

Do you even know how to do any of those things?

                   MAYYA

No, but I could learn. We should totally run away together.

                   CLIVE

Yeah? Where would we go?

                   MAYYA

Russia.

                   CLIVE

Oh god no. There’s nothing there but snow and vodka. I’ve seen plenty of pictures and it looks like a desolate wasteland full of-

                   MAYYA

I was born there.

                   CLIVE

Of wonderful people. Obviously.

                   MAYYA

You’ve never been. You don’t know.   

CLIVE

Well…clearly.

                   MAYYA

I love Moscow. I was only there until I was five, but all of it, it’s like…when you wake up and you can only remember the bits and pieces of the dream that you had that night. It’s all so distant but so very beautiful.

                   CLIVE

Did you live there with your parents?

                   MAYYA

Yeah, till my mother went crazy and ran away, taking me with her.

              [Pause]

                   CLIVE

What was your father like?

                   MAYYA

He was big.

                   CLIVE

Most people are big when you’re only five years old.

                   MAYYA

But he was gigantic. I remember when he’d pick me up; I felt like I had scaled a mountain. I’ve seen pictures. A picture. That was in my mother’s nightstand that I found in Jr. High one night after she had passed out on the couch. It was of him, holding me in his arms, wearing nothing but a tank top and shorts standing knee deep in snow.

                   CLIVE

Very Russian.

                   MAYYA

And I kept the photo with me at all times. Until my mother found it and got so angry she took a pair of pliers to my guitar and cut all the strings.

                   CLIVE

Do you know why your mother feels that way about him?

MAYYA

No, she never talks about him…ever. I sometimes think, you know, “What if he was a bad person? What if that’s why she ran away from him and moved to America? To protect me.”

                   CLIVE

Ask her.

                   MAYYA

Please.

                   CLIVE

There’s no way you’ll ever know unless you ask her.

                   MAYYA

That will never happen.

                   CLIVE

Has he ever tried to get a hold of you?

                   MAYYA

I’ve gotten letters from him before. I know I have, I’ve seen how my mother reacts when she sees the mail. It’s been a while though, at least since we’ve moved to San Francisco.

                   CLIVE

Try to find him online.

                   MAYYA

I’ve tried. I try all the time. I haven’t found anything yet, I don’t even know where to begin. I’m just a kid, you know, I don’t…

                   CLIVE

I’m sorry.

                   MAYYA

And I’m just-I find myself in my room sometimes, by myself, playing guitar and dreaming that he’ll just walk through my door, and I’ll see him standing there, and he’ll take me away from all of this. From my mother. From school. And I’ll be happy.

CLIVE

Maybe it’ll happen one day.  

MAYYA

Happy endings don’t really happen like that in real life.

                   CLIVE

They can.

                   MAYYA

You don’t believe that.

                   CLIVE

No…I don’t.

              [The lights fade on both of them.]

© 2013 Kevin


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Kevin
This is a very rough first draft of the full length I just finished; I would be tremendously grateful of any opinions or suggestions for it; it's a story I'm rather passionate about and would like to know just how much work I have left to do on it; more scenes to follow

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on April 19, 2013
Last Updated on April 19, 2013
Tags: Play, Theatre, Drama, David Bowie, Music

Author

Kevin
Kevin

Jersey City, NJ



About
Looking for opinions and tips on what I'm working on more..

Writing
B-Sides: Track Eleven B-Sides: Track Eleven

A Stage Play by Kevin


B-Sides: Track Ten B-Sides: Track Ten

A Stage Play by Kevin


B-Sides: Track Nine B-Sides: Track Nine

A Stage Play by Kevin