B-Sides: Track Seven

B-Sides: Track Seven

A Stage Play by Kevin
"

Scene Seven of Eleven. "A twenty-seven year old despondent writer and a sixteen year old musician form a profound attachment to each other through their love of David Bowie."

"

 

 

 

TRACK SEVEN

 

[Lights up on James, 27, wearing a flannel shirt and black jeans. He is very handsome and clean cut. He sits in a chair center stage, rolling a blunt. Josh storms in.]

                   JAMES

Josh, my man, how have you been?

                   JOSH

Where’s Clive?

                   JAMES

Dude.

                   JOSH

Where is he?

                   JAMES

S**t man, I don’t know. I haven’t seen him in a couple weeks. What’s the matter?

                   JOSH

Don’t worry about it.

                   JAMES

Hey, if there’s something going on, I should know about it. He’s my friend too.

                   JOSH

No, he’s not. He’s not your friend, okay? He’s just some guy that you hang out with because he buys you drugs. That’s all he is to you.

                   JAMES

Those are harsh words.

                   JOSH

He hasn’t tried to call you or get a hold of you or anything?

                   JAMES

No.

                   JOSH

S**t.  

                   JAMES

What the f**k, man?

                   JOSH

What the f**k what?

                   JAMES

You come in here, yelling at me; disturbing my peace. It’s fucked up.

                   JOSH

You’d be surprised at how not sorry I am.

                   JAMES

What’s your problem?

                   JOSH

With you?

                   JAMES

Yeah.

                   JOSH

I don’t have the time.

              [He goes to leave]

                   JAMES

F**k you.

                   JOSH

Okay, my problem with you is that you never grew up. You never actually left college, you just lazed around and did a bunch of blow and now you’re trying to bring Clive down with you.

                   JAMES

I’m not trying to do anything; I’m just trying to live my life.

                   JOSH

Then live it and leave Clive out of it.

                   JAMES

Hey, he came to me, like half a year ago. Asked if I wanted to party. I hadn’t seen him in years so yeah, we hung. I haven’t done anything.

JOSH

I don’t need to hear your life story.

                   JAMES

F**k you, man. You are such an a*****e.

                   JOSH

That’s great.

                   JAMES

You haven’t changed at all.

                   JOSH

I bet.

JAMES

You still wanna be everyone’s best friend and you still wanna go out of your way to help the people who you think can’t help themselves because you feel as though that makes you important and that it makes you better than everyone else. It doesn’t. You’re still a complete f**k-up.

                   JOSH

If Clive calls you, don’t pick up. Okay? Just call me.

                   JAMES

Sure.

                   JOSH

Let me make this clear. If you don’t, and I find out you’ve been hanging with him again, I will come over here and I will kick your f*****g teeth in one by one.

                   JAMES

Empty threats.

                   JOSH

Good. That’s good, James, keep thinking that. Go ahead and tell yourself that if you don’t do as I ask I won’t come over here and make sure you spend the entire night swallowing your own blood. I’ll be looking forward to it. You useless prick.

              [James gets up from the chair.]

                   JAMES

F**k you.

              [Josh gets in James’ face.]

                   JOSH

Sit down. Now.

[James backs off and sits back down.]

     JOSH

You’re wrong, James. I have changed. I’m no longer someone that you f**k with, understand? I expect to hear from you.

              [Josh leaves.]

[The lights fade on James and slowly rise on Mayya and Clive sitting on the park bench, asleep.] 

              [Clive slowly wakes up.]

                   CLIVE

Oh, Jesus. Mayya. Mayya, wake up.

              [Mayya wakes up.]

                   MAYYA

What? Oh, we fell asleep.

                   CLIVE

Yeah.

                   MAYYA

It’s morning.

                   CLIVE

What time is it?

              [Mayya takes out her phone and checks it.]

                   MAYYA

Six thirty.

                   CLIVE

We should probably get home. Your mother must be worried.

                   MAYYA

I doubt it.

                   CLIVE

Sarah’s probably worried sick. F**k, I said some things I probably shouldn’t have last night.

                   MAYYA

Will you be able to fix things?

                   CLIVE

Probably not. But still, I need to show.

              [He gets up.]

Come on, I’ll walk you home.

                   MAYYA

              [Getting up]

Hey, Clive.

                   CLIVE

Hey, Mayya.

                   MAYYA

Thank you for hanging out with me last night. I don’t know what I would have done without you, just…just being able to talk to someone, it really helps.

                   CLIVE

It’s nothing. I needed someone to talk to as well, and I’m-

[Mayya quickly leans in and kisses Clive, wrapping her arms around him. Clive pushes her off.]

     CLIVE

What the f**k? No.

                   MAYYA

I’m sorry.

                   CLIVE

Christ. Why did you do that?

                   MAYYA

I love you.

                   CLIVE

Don’t say that.

MAYYA

I love you, Clive.

                   CLIVE

No…don’t say that.

                   MAYYA

Why not?

                   CLIVE

Because you’re f*****g everything up.

MAYYA

I don’t understand what I’m doing-

                   CLIVE

No, of course you don’t, you’re a f*****g child.

                   MAYYA

Clive.

                   CLIVE

Just…just don’t. Please, I need to…I’m gonna go home.

                   MAYYA

Why are you acting like this?

                   CLIVE

I’m just…we should stop hanging out.

                   MAYYA

No.

                   CLIVE

It wasn’t a suggestion, it was a statement. I’m not gonna see you anymore.

                   MAYYA

Because I tried to kiss you?

                   CLIVE

I have a girlfriend.

                   MAYYA

You hate her.

CLIVE

I love her.

                   MAYYA

That’s not what you say every time you come to me to complain about her.

                   CLIVE

You’re sixteen.

                   MAYYA

Does it really make a difference?

                   CLIVE

Yes.

                   MAYYA

No, it doesn’t. We’re the same person, Clive. Just because I’m not aged like some f*****g wine doesn’t mean we’re not right for each other.

                   CLIVE

You not being able to see what’s wrong with this is exactly the evidence I need to convince me that it’s fucked up.

                   MAYYA

So you’re just gonna walk away?

                   CLIVE

Yes.

                   MAYYA

And everything you said to me. You didn’t mean any of it?

                   CLIVE

I meant all of it.

                   MAYYA

Why do I not believe you? I thought…I told myself that you were special, that you were different from everyone else, but you’re not. You’re exactly the same. This has happened to me before.

Someone always comes around who thinks he’s so f*****g smart, so f*****g…superior to me just because he’s older, and he tells me how special I am. I know you. You’re just a guy who needs to find some young, innocent girl to take under his wing, and pamper, and tell her everything is going to be okay, just so he can feel better about himself. Just so he can pat himself on the back because he’s helping some fucked up little girl, and then when he’s done with her, he leaves, and what does she get out of it?

                   CLIVE

At least you got an A.

              [Long pause]           

MAYYA

This is you, isn’t it? This is who you really are. Just a scared and resentful person.

                   CLIVE

It gets worse.

                   MAYYA

I don’t ever want to see you again.

[Mayya leaves. Clive stands there by himself. The lights fade.]        

© 2013 Kevin


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Kevin
This is a very rough first draft of the full length I just finished; I would be tremendously grateful of any opinions or suggestions for it; it's a story I'm rather passionate about and would like to know just how much work I have left to do on it; more scenes to follow

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on April 19, 2013
Last Updated on April 19, 2013
Tags: Play, Theatre, Drama, David Bowie, Music

Author

Kevin
Kevin

Jersey City, NJ



About
Looking for opinions and tips on what I'm working on more..

Writing
B-Sides: Track Eleven B-Sides: Track Eleven

A Stage Play by Kevin


B-Sides: Track Ten B-Sides: Track Ten

A Stage Play by Kevin


B-Sides: Track Nine B-Sides: Track Nine

A Stage Play by Kevin