Dancer

Dancer

A Story by Kezia

She was a dancer. She could not draw. She could not act. She could not sing.
She became the sad dancer long ago when she was a puppet on strings. Her master made her dance and every string he pulled triggered pain in her joints. Years ago she had let him tie the strings as she stared lovingly into his hypnotizing eyes giving no resistance. He whispered words of kindness and stroked her hair ever so gently. The strings were suddenly pulled hard and the young puppet danced long into the nights. She was too exhausted to fight it by the time she wanted to leave. Her audience watched her sad face every day and said, "it's so simple, if you don't like your master, get the scissors in front of you.", but leaving wasn't so simple. She tried and tried to reach the scissors and she did not know if it was fear or inability holding her back. Cutting her strings seemed like an impossible wish.
She continued to dance every day and every night until her master found new muses; more colourful puppets. She waited in silence to be lifted again but the new puppets were simply the much better option for him. She reached for the scissors and cut all her strings, "you b***h!", he shouted as she ran as fast and as far as she could. Where was she going? She knew as much as he did.
Years went by and he continued to search for her, sometimes she heard her master, "puppet, where are you?", he would call in the distance. But she cut her strings and now she is free as a very sad dancer.

© 2015 Kezia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice imagery. I loved the metaphor of a puppet dancer, it spoke of so much more in the context of your writing.

You have created a beautifully haunting piece.

If I was being picky I would suggest you use a bigger font just to make it all easier to read. Why? This is a competitive site and you don't want to give your reader a reason to go elsewhere. Easier to read means more likelihood of reviews.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I very much like the themes in this story and the images of puppets has always been one that appeals to me. I think what I would have liked was maybe more context and fleshing out of the story. This feels like an introduction or a prologue to something. I enjoyed it very much.

Posted 8 Years Ago


What I loved: The imagery. "puppet, where are you?" "her master found new muses; more colorful puppets" "The strings were suddenly pulled hard" Phrases like these create a strong atmosphere and feeling. They are very good.

What I wanted more of: Specificity and setting. When you say, "She tried and tried to reach the scissors" you imply a workshop setting, but you never specify. It might serve your purpose to create a specific place where this takes place. If you want it to remain ambiguous, make sure that your audience is aware that it your choice, not laziness. I would say the same thing about the puppets relationship with the master and the puppets dancing: either be more specific, or make it clear that you are being unclear on purpose.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 29, 2015
Last Updated on December 29, 2015

Author

Kezia
Kezia

Barrie, Ontario, Canada



About
My writing will leave a lot to your imagination, I like to keep the reader wondering. Love feedback :) more..

Writing
Old Lulluby Old Lulluby

A Story by Kezia


Why? Why?

A Story by Kezia