2002

2002

A Story by Ziggy Jagger SpiderFromMars
"

This is complete middle school drama but it means a lot to me because it happened. This is actually non-fiction so please don't judge me too harshly

"

2002 was the year. I was attending a highly competitive and elite private school and I felt like a vandal every day when I strolled the hallways. I was a social misfit. I proudly wore Chuck Taylor Hi-Top Converse tennis shoes with my navy blue pleated uniform skirt and perfectly starched white polo. I adorned my wrists in metal pyramid leather studded bracelets, wore way too much smoky eyeliner, purple lipstick and every day would streak my raven colored hair with pink and blue mascara. Yes, this was me in the eighth grade, the epitome of social distortion (and yes, I do like that band).

            But I was not alone. I had my soul sisters, Lauren and Bri. We had been friends since 2nd grade, tied at the hip. When I introduced them to Punk Rock, we had no other tasks in mind but to take down the system. As the Sex Pistols said: “Anarchy in the UK” But for us it was “Anarchy in Trinity Valley School” We were always in trouble. Mr. Schofield was our nemesis. He loathed us from the time we had Geography class with him in sixth grade.

            Lauren and I had to take Ritalin and in third grade I taught her how to cheek it so we could act as hyper as we wanted to. Lauren’s parents hated me. They said if she kept hanging out with me she would be pregnant by the time she reached sophomore year. Bri’s parents just did not really give a care. But what is important to know is that we were the infamous trio. I never thought anything could tear us apart.

            We would sit in the back corner in first period Latin class. Answer me this…why in the world did we need a Latin class? Isn’t that a dead language? Dr. Tennison ran the Latin laugh-


fest and did not really care that we did not do any work, we huffed the whiteout and we were crazy. And we had fun. We always had so much freaking fun!

            I remember the school campout in seventh grade. We stopped at a CiCi’s Pizza and we were having a competition to see who could shove the most plastic straws in their mouth and then chug Mountain Dew and go the longest without laughing. I remember that campout so well because that is when Benton came into the picture.

            Our trio had never had boyfriends. That was unheard of. The guys all made fun of us calling us “Gothic Lesbians” and “Losers” and pretty much every single insult in the book you  can think of. We were called every name in the freaking book. We never really cared about if boys paid us attention. We had an image to uphold. We were punk rockers (or so we thought). We shopped at Hot Topic, listened to bands like Rancid, NOFX, The Sex Pistols, The Dead Kennedys and TSOL. We clipped safety pins to our navy blue uniform skirts and wrote lyrics with the whiteout we huffed in first period Latin all over our binders and backpacks. We were living the good life and I seriously pictured the 3 of us graduating high school and going off to college, the three of us. That is how it should have been. That is, until Benton joined the mix.

            Don’t ask me why I was attracted to him. He had Bucky Beaver Teeth, and looked like a chipmunk. He was awkward as could be. He had been in my English class but I’d never really noticed him before. When we stopped at an arcade I was going to play Lauren in air hockey. He just happened to be standing there so I asked him if he would hold the 10 rings I wore on each finger. He looked dazzled by me, and I felt the same pull of attraction towards him. Don’t ask my why or how a rodent-looking 12 year old could be so sexy. But he was. He had me reeled in,hook-line and sinker. I’d remembered him at the beginning of the year cookout and I thought he was such a loser because he was trying to skate on the grass wearing those Heeley shoes that had wheels in them. However, that night at the arcade something was different. The only boyfriend I’d ever had before had been an online relationship with guy who lived on the other side of the country in New Jersey and we never met in person. This was a whole new deal. By the time we reached Fredericksburg, Texas, Benton was part of our crew. He just seemed to fit right in. He needed education of course on true punk bands, none of that Blink-182 or Good Charlotte poppy punk he was listening to. The first night in Fredericksburg, he and I ended up alone by the Coke machine and he asked me to be his girlfriend! This was a big freaking deal. I quickly accepted and was now the girlfriend of Benton Seybold and I could not have been happier. He made me glow like a Tiki torch, he made me shimmer like the sun. He was mine. I was his.

            The next day in San Antonio we all went to Joe’s Crab Shack and drank virgin Pina Coladas and just had fun. I had no idea how bad this would end up being and how things and people could change. I thought I was living out my glory days a bit early but that was fine because I had Lauren, I had Bri and I had Benton. Immediately on the trip the popular people were making up lies that Benton and I had been doing more than holding hands and started calling me a w***e and a s**t, which made no sense to me. I shrugged it off. Punk was not dead, and our theory was to ignore the taunts of the others. We lived by a motto “We are not here to judge.” Nevertheless, I was falling for Benton. Even though the awkward middle school pressures were weighing in on us, everything felt so right.

            Summer 2002 was our Summer of Love. Benton and I spent almost every other day together, growing closer both physically, emotionally and intimately, which we were still pretty

young to be doing. He was 12 and I was 13. Our first kiss happened at the Summer Dance to “Stairway To Heaven” by Led Zeppelin. Love is such a magical jewel. I could not believe I was falling in love. I remember Robert Plant’s voice so beautifully billowing out the words: “And a new day will dawn, for those who stand long and the forest will echo with laughter.” The more Robert Plant sang the closer Benton and I held each other. I did not want to be anywhere else in the world but in the arms of Benton. We were both in unfamiliar territory being that I had never had a boyfriend and he had never had a girlfriend. Right when Robert Plant sang the final line: “And she is buying a stairway to Heaven” Benton kissed me. A full on, tongue action, sloppy kiss, that at the time was nothing but sheer bliss.

            And it was the Summer of Love. Things were perfect. For Benton’s birthday the two of us went to Six Flags and it was a dismal cloudy and drizzly day and as we rode rides like The Texas Giant I suddenly realized that I didn’t care if my hair was drooping and my eyeliner was running and that I probably looked like crap because I had him, I had my Benton. We went to the top of the Six Flags tower and just stood up there, not caring that rain was pelting us, not caring that the weather was balmy and the humidity was making us even hotter in the hot August Texas summer heat. We had each other and that is all that really mattered. That was all we even wanted.

            I had completely neglected my best friends that summer. Lauren and Bri both went to Christian summer camps for a month or so during the summers but it really bothered me when they got back because they both told me they were praying for me because they knew I was headed down the wrong path per say. Okay. I’ve been a Christian all of my life, why were they suddenly so concerned? If only I could have been open minded and focused on what my soul sisters were saying. I was harboring a dark past that I was trying to leave behind. But sometimes the things we try and mask and runaway from end up haunting us in the long run.

            In sixth grade I had to be hospitalized for self-mutilation. Cutting had always been the easy way to deal with my emotions. It had softened in 2002 because I had gotten on medications for my diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder and I had Lauren, Bri and now Benton to distract me. But the day that I went up to Trinity Valley before 8th grade started to decorate my locker with pictures I had printed out of bands and such, I got a terrible feeling when I saw the class schedules. I had no classes with Lauren, Bri or even Benton. The thought made me sick to my stomach and I had a feeling that 8th grade was going to be worse than 6th grade and my intuition couldn’t have been more correct.

            The Summer of Love couldn’t have ended more peacefully. Benton had made me a promise that once we graduated high school he was going to take me to California to watch the sunrise on the beach and ask for my hand in marriage. I know we were young but God, I loved him with as much fever the heart of a 13-year-old could love. And I never thought it would ever end. I never thought we would end. But people change. My first week of 8th grade taught me that in a heartbeat.

            The first morning I could hear people whispering about Benton and I.  For some reason, the rumor on the street was that we’d had sex over the summer because we’d stayed together. It’s funny that middle school children equated a foundation built on love and devotion to sex.  However, because of all this foolishness, Benton changed. He became Mr. Popularity and became someone I hardly knew anymore. He started talking to the popular guys about me and

the things we had done. It felt like my mind was being raped. He started becoming arrogant and he was no longer the Benton I had spent my first summer of romance with. I know it was puppy love and everything but for some reason when I hear someone talk about the year 2002, it conjures up all these memories for me of this special yet chaotic time in my life.

            The more my mood swings resurfaced, the more my Lithium was increased. I was feeling pretty low; especially when Benton started breaking up with me, and then asking me back out several times in a single day! My Bipolar disorder was being triggered again because of his cruel games. And who did I have to fall back on? My sisters, Lauren and Bri. They were still there for me after all of that! They would bring me notes that they had found of Benton discussing physical situations involving him and I that he had been writing with other guys. Sadly, I took it all like a champ. I let Benton walk all over my fragile mind and brittle heart. The class schedules was truly a foreshadow of what was to come. The darkness that I would ascend into due to the cruelty of Benton Seybold and a school that had no clue how to handle someone with a mental disorder. I started cutting again and I started breaking to pieces again.

            Looking back, the fighting seemed like a soap opera on daytime television. One day he broke up with me, ten seconds later screamed at me: “I can’t talk to you, Ally! I just freaking can’t!” And I asked him “Why?” and he started crying and sulked away and turned around and said: “Because I am in love with you!” A lot of it never really made sense to me. One minute I was a “Bipolar lunatic” the next I was the love of his life. But as the fights kept happening, I continued to crumble. I was skipping tons of classes to cut and either Lauren or Bri would always find me underneath the stairwell or in the bathroom and clean me up and help me get

myself together. I was becoming more and more infatuated with suicide and thinking more and more that it was going to be my only answer because I felt so numb. It was no longer about Punk Rock and not giving a damn what anybody said. It was about despair and bleak disaster near upon arrival. I was unwinding down a spiral that nobody could seem to pull me out of. I knew that my end was going to justify my means as Slipknot said in one of their songs.

       I awoke the next morning. It was Tuesday, October 8, 2002. It was a cloudy, rainy day…suicide weather. I knew I was ready for this pain to finally stop for good. I knew I wasn’t going to do it at home, even though my parents and I fought a lot, I was their daughter: Their precious 14-year-old daughter. How could I do that to them? They hadn’t brought me pain. Trinity Valley School was the place of doom, not my bedroom. The morning classes went on. I had almost come to the point of talking myself out of it because I was scared. But at lunch everything changed.

            I was just spinning my thumb ring on the table in a daze. And then Benton looked at me and he said: “Smile Ally Cat, you are so beautiful.” And I went numb then. How could he keep trying to butter me up after all that? He’d broken my heart. I feel like he had almost become a sociopath of some sort.  He had no feelings, he never felt guilty, and he never showed compassion to me anymore. He wasn’t like this six months ago, yet I didn’t even know him anymore. He was the nice guy who had cut my throat. And I couldn’t take it anymore.

              I burst into tears and I said: “You should know I have nothing to smile about.” And with that, I got up from the table and slumped my way to the locker room. Nobody even got up. They just stared after me as I walked “my old jangly walk” as Billy Corgan sang on The Smashing Pumpkins song Thirty-Three.   I pulled a large safety pin off my backpack. My heart was throbbing with pain. I was so sure this was the only answer to my problems. I went into the girls’ bathroom and went into the handicapped stall so I could just sit on the floor and slice myself open. I proceeded to cut like usual only this time there were no questions. I wasn’t going to stop. I started on the top side of my arm and dug and dug, then I moved to my wrist and started cutting along the vein. I kept going. I left reality; I couldn’t stop even if I wanted to. I spun into another world. That’s all I remember until everything went black………

           The next thing I knew I awoke to a blood bath. I had huge, deep lacerations on my arm. They were split wide open. I remember realizing it must not have been my time to go. And then the panic hit me and I wondered, what the heck is going to happen to me and what am I going to do? I knew something drastic was going to happen to me, I just didn’t know what. First I had to clean this up and change shirts. After I’d cleaned all the blood off the floor and everything I walked out. I looked at the clock; I’d been in the bathroom nearly 3 hours! Everyone was going to be back from 7th period within minutes.

          Ironically, the only shirt I had in my backpack said: “ANTISOCIAL” on it. Wonderful. I went back in the bathroom and changed shirts and then I got a wet paper towel and wrapped it around my seeping arm. It was still gushing blood. I needed a sweatshirt. I came back out of the bathroom again and then I heard the stampede of my classmates coming down the hall. I was going to have to face them after all.

         I thought quickly and ran outside under the stairwell. Maybe I could still get out of this without humiliation. And then 2 guys came out and said: “There’s a homeless guy under the stairs! Oh wait, it’s just the Goth girl.” Then they saw it. There was no escaping. They opened the door and yelled: “Ally cut herself!” I was holding back the tears and then they encircled me as soon as I walked back into the locker room. I was so upset I can’t remember what they were saying exactly but it doesn’t matter. I felt like I was being stampeded by cruelty and hurt.

          The only thing I have a clear memory of was the look on Benton’s face. He looked horrified. He couldn’t believe what I had just done, and frankly, neither could I.  Every time I looked at my right arm I was in complete shock. All that damage done to my body was done by none other than: MYSELF. That is a terrifying feeling. Once I was out of the mood swing I realized I had just nearly taken my life over…what? Teenage drama? A rollercoaster- relationship? My life should have been worth more to me than that. I wished I could take the whole thing back. I didn’t want to die; I didn’t want to have hurt myself that bad. And what scared me more than anything was the consequence to my actions.

           I got expelled from Trinity Valley School that day, for “being a danger to myself and others” and sent to a residential treatment center in Cedar City, Utah where I remained until I was 18 years old. I have not spoken to Bri, Lauren or Benton since October 8, 2002. Like I said 2002 was the year. Oh yes, a year full of surprises and betrayals and things I never imagined would occur in my life. I am the survivor of an attempted suicide and I am not ashamed to share this because it has made me stronger and made me into a better person. I have sunk so low and come out on top that I am proud to say I endured a few years of teenage heartache and angst. Do I think things would have been different if I had not gotten involved with Benton? Not really. There would have been another guy, another causation factor to retrigger my bipolar disorder.

          I am not going to sit here and wonder what life would have been like without Benton in 2002 because that would be a senseless thing to do. I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and nothing can change that. The only thing I can’t help but wonder is how Lauren and Bri are doing. The only time I talked to Lauren was through a single letter while I was in treatment. She’d written a simple poem that went something like this: “True pain is when your best friend calls you, not to tell you how the date went or the kiss goodnight. True pain is when she calls to tell you that she wants to be another tragic teenage suicide statistic. That is where the pain chisels deepest. I have experienced true pain. True pain is when your best friend calls you, not to tell you what dress she is wearing to prom or what colleges she has been accepted to. True pain is when she vanishes without a trace and you have witnessed her soul crush like ice chips. That is where the true pain lies.”

    For some reason I cannot let all of this go. It still haunts me like a plague because I wish things could have been different, and I will be the first to admit, I have caused true pain to my 2 dearest friends that I have no idea whatever happened to them and probably never will know for sure. I don’t use Facebook or Myspace or Twitter, I don’t go to social events where they would most likely be so my guess is I will never see them again. I can’t imagine how shattered they must have felt that dismal Tuesday in October. Lauren is right. She has experienced true pain. I know that if I were on the other side of this mess and this happened to one of them. Sure, 2002 was the year of laughs in Latin class, Mountain Dew and plastic straws, punk rock, and an infamous trio that turned so sour because I was so fragile. I was in a relationship that was way over my head and I would give anything if that year could have continued on the positive road it was chugging along on, instead of getting completely and 100% crushed by so many factors.

 

 

            

© 2013 Ziggy Jagger SpiderFromMars


Author's Note

Ziggy Jagger SpiderFromMars
Like I said this is my first non-fiction piece so please be kind.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can't even imagine what you must have gone through. Such a young and fragile age. Just because stuff like this happens to us at a young age, doesn't make it any less real. All our thoughts and emotions are real, as are the hurt caused to us by others and ourselves and the scars may never go away. Thanks for sharing this personal story. I hope it will bring hope to young people in that they will see they are not alone and they matter. You matter, Ally. I had to smile at your remark about the Latin class. I was desperately trying to get into Latin class but they would not let me - long story, and you were in but wanted out. Thanks, Ally.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ziggy Jagger SpiderFromMars

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, it was probably the most tragic day of my life a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 20, 2013
Last Updated on November 20, 2013
Tags: 2002