The Last Duel

The Last Duel

A Story by Khance
"

I was bored and i wanted to have a slightly lighter toned story... so this is what happened.

"

As the rotary blades came to a grinding halt, everyone that had gathered in the town square quietened in expectation. The helicopter had appeared out of nowhere and a landing crew guided it to its resting spot within the centre of the town. It wasn’t long before people congregated around the one stop, each one vying to see what was going on.
The door of the helicopter opened and swung forward as a young man kicked it open forcefully. He was a tall man with a slender build and curly blonde hair. His extravagant clothing indicated that he wasn’t a local by any measure. His white waistcoat hung slightly above his white, pinstripe trousers. The black shirt he wore matched his shoes and strangest of all was the low rimmed white Stetson hat that he wore.
The man looked around at the crowd and grinned, his face lighting up momentarily as he gestured for one of the men to the side to help him down. It was only then that people realised he wasn’t able to bend his left leg fully. It was only because this occurrence was so out of the ordinary that people questioned it and wondered what was going on, the mysterious man wasn’t long in answering their question.
___________________________________________________

The blades came to a grinding halt as the helicopter came to a standstill. The small town had never seen such a thing happen before. The chopper had appeared out of nowhere and landed in the town square, it wasn’t long before crowds had gathered to see what was going on.
The occupant wasn’t long in enlightening them. Kicking open the door with his right leg, Christopher Moon swung his body out of the large machine, gazing at the congregation of onlookers.
“Sorry about all of this, ladies and gentlemen…but I have an engagement that I cannot afford to miss! As you may have noticed, my men are constructing a large screen behind us. This is so you can all appreciate what happens today, if you so chose.” Christopher said with a smile.
Large groups of men were assembling various screens together at the side of the street and it wasn’t long before someone noticed that the entire ordeal was being televised on national television.
“What the hell, we’re all on TV!” One man shouted as he looked towards an electronics shop to the right of the square. Christopher smiled once again as he limped down from step on the helicopter.
“Today is a very special day for me, so much so that I have decided to buy up the major television channels for the next few hours…I’m sure you will all just have to humour me until then!”
Everyone was looking both transfixed and confused as the towering screen was brought to life in front of them.

___________________________________________________

Christopher stood and gazed down at the crowd almost as though he was looking for a particular person. After a few moments he frowned and turned to look towards the big screen that showed the crowd in more detail. Snapping his head back to look at the people, he sighed and straightened his white tie.
If the people didn’t know that he wasn’t from around the area, his extravagant attire certainly would have enlightened a few of them. His pinstripe white waistcoat and matching trousers were bright enough to make anyone blink more than once, however it was low rimmed white Stetson that got the laugh from most of the crowd. Christopher noticed the laughs and tipped the hat in a greeting gesture towards the people before he explained himself further.
“There is a man that lives here that I would very much like to…talk to, do any of you know a man called Brian Nordo?” At his words, the crowd started murmuring amongst themselves.
Christopher looked towards the screen…there would be no running away from this, he would finally get to put it to the test, who was better…

___________________________________________________

Brian loosened his tie as he looked at the report in front of him, it hadn’t been a very good weekend for him and the work load seemed to double every time he blinked. What made it even harder to concentrate was the noise coming from the corridor outside. He thought that if he had started his own company, he might be able to escape the annoyances of normal life…but alas he was mistaken, they just seemed to follow him everywhere he went. “Christ, I need a break!
Swivelling around in the chair, he switched on the TV, only to see the street below his office. “What the hell?” he said aloud as he changed the channel only to see the same thing. After a few moments, the screen twirled around to focus on a man that looked vaguely familiar to Brian.
“Oh hell no…you cant be serious?!” Brian said as he ripped the tie off his neck.
The door of his office burst open to reveal his out of breath secretary, “Lots…people….downstairs….helicopter…you!”
Brian looked at her for a moment before saying, “…People are looking for my helicopter?”
The secretary gave him a stern look as she tried to catch her breath. “No, they….said he’s looking for you, the …guy in the helicopter!”
Brian turned back to the screen and sighed. Slumping back into the office chair, he unbuttoned the top few buttons of his shirt and realised it was going to be a very long day.
“Brian! There are reporters and everything…they all want to know what’s going on!”
Brian thought for a moment before answering. “Tell them that the exclusive story is on sale, highest bidder gets it…”
His secretary looked completely perplexed as she looked at her boss, “You’re thinking of money at a time like this?” Her face was of total shock and confusion.
Brian got up from his seat and looked her in the eye, “I always think of money, true story.”
Turning back to the TV he muttered to himself, “Maybe he just wants to talk?”
Christopher then took a long black bag from within the helicopter, causing Brian to moan audibly. “He just never gives up…he’s like those b*****d little things out of star wars….emus?”
“Ewoks, Sir.” His secretary said as she stood hesitantly at the door.
Brian turned to look at her for a moment… “Who was the highest bidder?”
The secretary stammered for a moment, but Brian cut her off, “…uh uh uh, no…Go find out!”
As she left the room, Brian slammed his head against the wall, it was going to be a very long day.

___________________________________________________

“So, does anybody know where I can find Mr. Nordo?” Christopher asked nobody in particular.
One man pointed over to an office complex at the corner of the street. Christopher Moon looked up to where the man pointed only to see the blinds being shut very quickly. “Come out, come out, wherever you are…”
Lifting the bag from the ground, Christopher limped down towards the centre of the square, where most of the people backed away. The screen fixed itself on that square and all of a sudden words appeared at the bottom of the screen, with a small picture of a younger Christopher shown at the side. It started to outline his profile.
Christopher turned toward one of the men at the helicopter and asked, “See if you can get the sound hooked up quickly, it might clear up a few questions.”
People were already beginning to read the words appearing on the screen, some looked shocked as they looked towards the bag lying at his feet, instantly realising what was going to happen today.
Christopher looked towards the screen as the music flooded the square. His grin could be seen by all on the wide screen. Even he never got tired of reading the profile.

___________________________________________________

Christopher Moon, International Finalist in Sabre duelling, Five times Irish Sabre Champion, European Champion for Seven consecutive years, Ranked Third in the world in Men’s Sabre. Coach of the highly acclaimed ‘Metro Warfare’ Fencing club. Aged thirty seven, bachelor and talented musician…owner of the Metro Direct Film Studio. Reputed as the 148th Richest man in the world.
People watched the screen change to show a younger Christopher leaping into the air, his body twisted in a painful angle, with his opponents sword hanging stiff beside his left thigh, his own blade touching his opponents wrist. The picture was spectacular and some of the people on the street applauded the picture.
Christopher smiled at the people, knowing that if this impressed them, they were going to be in for an exciting evening.

The picture once again changed to reveal a different person, and Christopher made a note to look at the office complex as the screen changed. The blinds shot open and the window opened to reveal a very angry looking man. His eyes set on the screen.
Christopher smiled at the man and gestured towards the bottom of the screen where people noticed the words had once again changed.
___________________________________________________

Brian Nordo, International Champion in Sabre duelling, Once Irish Sabre Champion, Finalist in European Competition, Ranked 31st in the world in Men’s Sabre. Aged thirty four, bachelor and owner of a successful Marketing Consultancy Agency. Reputed to be friends with the 148th Richest man in the world.

Christopher laughed at the last line in the profile that he insisted on adding. People cheered louder as the picture appeared on the screen. A young Brian Nordo doing what appeared to be the splits on the floor, his head looking to the ground as his blade arched up to press into the neck of his opponent who still stood in the En Guarde position.
Turning his head to look over to the window of the complex, he reached into his pocket and put on a pair of glasses. “…I think I see a smile?” Christopher laughed as he returned to opening the bag at his feet.

The secretary burst into the office and looked at Brian with confusion all over her face, “Is it true?!”
Sighing briefly, Brian returned his gaze to the large screen out on the street. “Yeah, he is exactly as he said he is…”
The secretary suppressed a yell as she looked at him, “I was talking about you!…is what he said about you true?”
Brian glanced at her before answering, “Kinda…”
“What do you mean, Kinda? Is it true or not?” she asked as she leaned against his desk. Brian looked back to the picture displayed at the screen, why did Christopher have to bring all of this up?
“Well, I wasn’t really that much of a finalist in Europe…nobody else really turned up to it, he’s making me sound better than I really am.” Brian said with a smile, “He always used to do that.”
The secretary looked past him, to the television screen and started smiling. Brian turned to look at it, only to groan once again as he read the words appearing at the bottom of the screen…
Nordo underestimates himself as much as Moon overestimates himself - Time Magazine.

The screen shifted once again to reveal in huge letters, the one word that caused most of the town to cheer aloud. “Rematch”

© 2008 Khance


Author's Note

Khance
I usually write more seriously than this... so dont kill me for having a sense of humour :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I thought it was great, and I can't wait to read more of your work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Silly, and funny.
I like it. The character Christopher Moon, reminds me of Howl from Howls Moving Castle, which is an anime...

But yeah. Good story.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Haha, I like Brian, hehehe, sounds like a fellow that would be handy to have in a tight spot, "Like those little things off of Star Wars....emus?" hahahaha, loved that line, had me snickering nicely. You're right, lighter approach suits you, friend, now my demand, haha, Write more of it!!!! hehe, this is a good story, I hope to see the finale!~P

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2008

Author

Khance
Khance

Dundalk, Ireland



About
People are reassured when they think you know what you're doing... Being honest, I make all of this up as I go along... When somebody complains, then i might stop :D more..

Writing
Altitude Altitude

A Chapter by Khance