A boys new toy

A boys new toy

A Story by Khef Kha
"

Learning to love new things.

"

The young child played in a shaft of sunlight breaking through the tree cover. His perfect smile shining in the sunlight.  Picking up the ball his parents got him on their trip to town he continued his walk. The light shining off his light brown hair the child bounced his ball down a well known trail.  The sudden apperance of something crossing the trail made the boy drop his ball where it rolled into the woods.  Knowing this was his parents land and that he had nothing to fear, he strode confidently off the beaten path. Searching the ground for his new toy the youth missed the vine which was right at chest level.  Getting tangled and caught in the underbrush he tripped down a steep hill a few feet in front ahead.  As he fell down the slope his head cracked against a piece of rock sticking out of the ground knocking him unconscious.

 

As the angle of sun shifted the young boy woke up to witness a dark shape walking swiftly away from his prone body. 

"Help me!" he cried but the darkness kept going. "This is my parents land! You must help me!"

 

Summoning the power to sit up on his own the young lad looked around at his surroundings. Twenty Yards ahead was the side of a moutain.  Young Ambrose was happy to see this, from here he knew where he was and how to get home at least. Standing up, Ambrose recognized he wasn't hurt.  Looking to see where the dark blur went, he looked around.  Hidden by shadows he could just see movement at the lip of a cave.  His ball was being bounced by who or what ever was in the cave.

 

"That's my ball!" Ambrose cried out in righteous anger. "You are on my land and have my property. Return it to me. Now."

 

The ball stopped bouncing and the dark image withdrew into the recesses of the cave.  Ambrose strode towards the cave. "I will not have what is mine stolen." he thought.

 

Getting to the mouth of the cave, Ambrose picked up the ball but then put it back down for a moment.  "Who are you that trespasses on my family's land?" he called into the depths. Expecting an echo or a response Ambrose was startled by the flicker of candle light from deep within.

 

"Come closer Ambrose, I wish to show you something." a scratchy voice whispered from the darkness.

 

"How does this stranger know my name..." the boy muttered to himself. He started to walk into the cave unable to resist the curiousity that was filling his mind.  Walking forward, back straight, unwilling to accept that any thing could hurt him.  "What do you want?" he called.

 

"I wish to show you the future..." the voice called.

 

As Ambrose walked deeper into the cave, he noticed strange half images forming out of the ether.  Strange skull shapes and tentacled things seemed to be moving in the darkness.  Ambrose cocked an eyebrow wondering at the appearnce of such things on his land. Showing and feeling no fear of these things he continued on.

 

A large desk loomed in front of Ambrose, a man dressed in dark robes sitting behind it. Strange jars filled with things not born in nature littered the desktop.  The phantom aroma of rose petals and brimstone playing on his nose. Mouth agape Ambrose stared at the incredible things around him.

 

"Boy, you seem interested in the things you see here.  Would you like to understand how to reach this point?" the man asked.

"I don't understand what i'm seeing here sir. How can I reach this point when I don't even know what's going on here!"

 

The man draped in his black robes smiled a perfect smile, "Take this, it will teach you the way." He handed a large grimoire down to Ambrose, letting his cold black eyes gleam.  "You will learn..."

 

As Ambrose turned away the desk and black robed man slowly started fading from view. Absorbed in reading the cover of this book Ambrose walked past his ball, trying to read the words.. "Necromancy..." he said as the sun started to set, a hollow laughter echoing down the tunnel behind him.

 

 

© 2008 Khef Kha


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on March 12, 2008

Author

Khef Kha
Khef Kha

NJ



About
I love to read. I think I'd like to try to write also. Let's see what happens... more..