Teenagers

Teenagers

A Poem by Melissa Ridge

We are a generation of Bebo Stunnahs and Hipsters.
Teenagers today talk to walls, tweet at each other and tumble.
Every moment is documented and recorded to be saved forever.
Isn’t that just scary?
That embarrassing picture of you will still be there when your kids have facebook accounts. Scarleh 4 ya.
Teenagers have also appeared to have created their own language.
There’s abbreviating, and then there’s talking like a cave man and got smacked around the head.
I can only assume Shakespeare has turned in his grave so much there is now a tunnel to the core.


Bullying has raised its ugly head in every generation but today cyber bullying has been created with some horrifying results via Ask.fm.
Be it texting or facebooking, it hurts and humiliates.
Can you honestly say you don’t know anyone who hasn’t been affected?
Half of the things said online would never be said to someone’s face.
Cyber bullies are cowards in my eyes.
You have something you’d like to say, say it to my face.
One of the worst things of cyber bullying is that they don’t realize what they say can actually hurt.
One little sarcastic comment on a picture can destroy a person’s self-esteem and shatter their confidence.
But sure what do you care? It was hilarious and totally got like 10 likes!


The way teenagers see themselves is a pretty big deal and the way they want others to see them is huge.
I dare you to tell me I’m wrong.
Today’s teenagers, especially girls, care way too much on appearance, their self-esteem rattling along on the views of peers.
Music plays a significant role in image.
You can spot the punk rockers a mile off; the badly dyed hair, painful looking piercings and the worn matte doc’s (none of those shiny ones)
In a way, the genre of music you listen to puts you in a clique.
Beyonce and Nicki Minaj would never be seen with the likes of Black Veil Brides or Bring Me The Horizon.


There is a new breed of teenager today.
The hipster, who are so uncool they’re awesome.
They are the one's who appeared to have walked out of the Tardis still wearing the same clothes of that era from which they came; wallpaper pattern dresses, top buttoned shirts, chinos and those big framed glasses.
What bands do they listen to?
Don’t ask, you’ve never heard of them.
How many Hipsters does it take to change a light bulb?
Some obscure number you’ve never heard of.


Whatever happened to the good ole’ classics?
Every bestseller out there is about pathetic fantasy involving vampires, werewolves, angels etc.. etc..
What is the modern world coming to?
I'm blaming this on the demand from twi-hards and the likes.
(well those who actually read)
Most teens just play xbox or wait for the film to come out.
Sickening really,
Virginia Woolf would not be impressed. 
Oh please tell me you have at least heard of her.

Teenagers today are strange to say the least.
We’re all products of our environment and nothing more than mirrors in the eyes of society
Because we reflect what is being thrown at us every day.
The majority of teenagers have more than two piercings and have plans and drawings for tattoos.
It will all seem so normal when we’re fifty odd to be painted with weird and wonderful pictures to remind us of today and ears stretched so much we’ll be mistaken for being members of some African tribe but with severe cases of Michael Jackson skin disease.
God help the next generation.

© 2013 Melissa Ridge


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on October 19, 2013
Last Updated on October 19, 2013