Riven

Riven

A Story by Stumpy-JIm
"

Kai, a well-respected archaeologist, finds a sword within a derelict temple of a dead people, which eventually leads to the deaths of his party.

"

The sword bewitched me with its design.


It was a thing of beauty. Made with Jade as green as the jungles that surround this ancient temple. The blade was long, straight and finely crafted, with a vicious hook curving out at the tip. Its guard was in the shape of a snake's head, its tongue the cruel blade, its tail curled and twisted to form the grip and pommel. Its fangs were brightly glowing amethysts, gems that made the blade all the more breathtaking.


The blade was unusually light for its material. It seemed to fit in my hand perfectly as I swung it around, as if it waited centuries just for me to wield. The blade was as smooth as pearls, yet the edge was sharper than any knife or sword. I held it to my gaze, caressing the blade, feeling its subtle, soothing vibrations against my hand.


“Kai?” A weedy looking Mariti squeaked out, tiny horns poking from his amber skinned face, his hair short, and black.


I snap my eyes away from the majesty of the weapon before me, glaring at the wimpy man.


“What is it Manu? I barked, tightening my grip on the weapon, the frail man recoiled.


The Little man gulped, regaining his composure. “We should wrap up the artifact, and bring it to New Hanao for study.” the man spoke, unsure of himself.


I hesitated for second, my knuckles turned whiter the harder I gripped the masterpiece. As I look back at the sword, my grip relaxes. “Of course Manu.” I replied, looking back at the man, as I lowered the weapon.


The small man nodded sweat glistening on his skin, he took out a large piece of thick white cloth, and carefully wrapped it around the blade and then the grip.


I stared at it, as Manu put the sword in his bag, strapped across his back. I frowned, as I looked longingly at the weapon as it swayed back and forth in the bag.


We began walking out the innermost chamber of the temple, where we found the sword which had been displayed on a stone stand carved into the shape of a large, six fingered hand. The walls stretched high, the ceiling rendered unseeable by the impenetrable dark that festered above. Strange glowing crystals hung on metal rods sticking out the brick, the light bathing the room in a sickly green.


The staircase was long, and deep, each brick had carvings of people holding their hands up, as if carrying the step above. After the staircase there was a chamber filled with shattered jade statues of featureless warriors wielding shields and spears, as if they were cleaved into pieces by a powerful foe.


The next chamber had tables and chairs made of granite, with piles of dust on top, presumably it was once food, or even plates and cutlery. It seemed like it had not seen use in centuries, as the chamber had vines creeping through all manner of cracks in the wall. The last chamber had lit green braziers, that trembled as Manu passed as if fearing what he possessed, on the other side was the light of day, welcoming us back from our trek.


As we exited the temple, and we were finally greeted by the vast jungle. We were mere ants compared to the trees that towered above. Vines strung from one tree, to the next, like a vast, tangling spider web. Groups of Alouat howled in the distance, a thunderous roar replied in turn. Frogs ribbited rapidly, as their mating season had begun. And waiting several meters out by a tree, camped out, was our guide and several guards.


The guide was a tall Mun, his olive skin glistened with sweat, his chest was bare, dirt darkened his lean body. He wore cheap, ragged, cloth trousers, tied up by a vine. His feet were bare, and caked in dirt. His eyes were a deep brown, and his messily cut hair was an even darker brown.


Our guards were composed of several mercenaries; one was a red scaled Alethin, clad in a chain shirt, a machete hung from a belt, and a musket hung on its back. The second was a grey scaled Alethin, wearing a leather reinforced long shirt tied with leather belts, a knife strapped to one of the belts, and held a crystal in its hand. The third was Mariti like Manu and I, but with teal skin instead of amber, he wore a thin shirt, and baggy trousers, with thick leather boots, he had a machete strapped to his hip, and several pistols hung from a belt around his waist.


One of the Alethins noticed us come out of the ruins, and whipped the end of his tail at the Mariti, pointing at me and Manu. The Mariti stood up, walked over to meet us.


“Kai, Manu.” turning his head to each of us in turn as he said our names, pausing for a second. “So, I suppose you have finished with your spelunking? Or did you find some trouble?” he interrogated, crossing his arms, waiting patiently for a response.


“No. No trouble at all Ina. We found quite a treasure.” Manu replys, pointing his thumb at the cloth wrapped sword on his back.


Ina nodded, turned to walk back to the small camp. Manu and I followed.


After a few meters, we reached the others. The Alethins were munching down on bright pink frogs, the Mun glanced at them, a mild look of disgust on his face. Ina sat down with the other three. And I soon joined.


After an hour went by, Grey conjured up a hut for us to sleep, and we gathered inside. The magical room was brightly lit, furs covered the floors, and the air was cool. It had four beds, and two pools of swampy water. The Alethin submerged themselves in the water, coiling their tails underneath them. Whilst the rest of us sat down on the beds.


Alethins were always very strange. They had no real name, and it was always hard to tell if they were male or female. Ina called them by the colour of their scales, it made them easier to talk to, but not by much.


After a time of writing in his journal, Manu looked to the Mun. “Thank you for guiding us to this temple.” His said, smiling warmly.


The Mun smiled, and nodded. “You welcome.” the Mun spoke, struggling to say the words.


“It’s because of you that we found this!” Manu replied, excitedly bringing out the sword, unraveling the cloth, displaying it for all to see.


Ina looks at it, whistling in an impressed way. The Alethins look at in, mezmerised with its craftsmanship. The Mun stared at it, his warm demeanor gone, his skin drained of colour, his eyes seeming to bulge out of his head, sweat trickling down his face.


“Is something the matter Coyotl?” Manu asked curiously.


The Mun continued to stare at the sword for a second, then looked at Manu. “No.” he said curtly, shaking his head slowly, an intense fear dripping from his eyes.


Manu nodded, unsure of Coyotl’s odd answer. He wrapped the sword back up with the cloth, and placed it on the fur covered floor.


After a time, I suddenly found myself in a dark place, filled with all my archeological finds and many achievements, my villa and my family, a sinister cloud purple rolling closer.


The artifacts I had found were shattered into a million pieces. The home I worked so hard to get was torn down, a ruin in its place. I saw my siblings retreat from the encroaching gas. I ran to meet them, but no matter how hard I ran, the further they got away from me.


After what seemed an endless struggle I manage to get closer to my family, only in time to see them sliced to pieces. Blood fountained out of all of them, bathing my body in crimson and viscera.


I cradled the upper cranium of my brother, as a deep commanding voice echoed around me, interrupting my despair.


“It is painful to see all you have worked for fall to ruin.” it said, in a deep, sad, and sympathetic voice.


I look around, trying to find the source of the disembodied voice in the purple fog.


“I know this feeling well, as I have experienced the sorrows of others before you.” the voice continued.


I began hearing whispers in my voice, surrounding me at all sides. I won’t let this happen. one said. What’s the point. I was doomed from the start. another added. Why is this happening? This isn’t fair! a third uttered dismayed. I failed everyone. one said crying. I can fix this! I always have. Another said reassured.


After the last whisper ended, the disembodied voice continued. “But I can help you rid yourself of your fears, your worries... your pain.” it added, the voice now reassuring, yet somehow slimey.


“What are you? Why do you care? What do you want from me?” I shouted in quick succession, anger and desperation in my voice.


The deep voice chuckled dismissively. “To answer your first, and second question.” the voice paused, making sure I was paying attention.


“I have a sibling of my own. I look out for him, making sure trouble doesn’t come his way.” the voice trailed off for a second, as if recalling past memories. “Because you see, he is a mute, and many are not accepting of such differences.” he added, revilement was thick in his voice.


My face softened. Recalling the times my sisters and brothers were made fun of, and all the hardships that followed.


But after a second, I remembered my last question, making an assured look. “What about my third question: What do you want from me?” I asked, quieter this time.


“What I want from you.” it paused. “Is for you to get the sword back.” it continued casually as if it were an afterthought.


I could feel my face betraying the confusion I had thought. “Why get the sword?” I ask, curiosity mixing into my voice.


“For it contains an entity that will corrupt it’s wielder, forcing them to kill for its pleasure.” It spat out like venom.


I hesitated for a time, looking over the chunks that once were my family.


“I’ll do it.”


After the last word leaves my mouth, I was now awake in the conjured bed of Grey’s magic, the feeling of grogginess taking over. The others were awake, undisturbed from their dreams, and preparing to head out of the magical hut.


Ina was by the Alethins, checking the condition of their equipment. The Coyotl was standing patiently by the exit, side eyeing Manu as he put the covered sword back into his bag.


I cautiously stared at the sword, recalling the dream from the night before. But I shook it off as fantasy and continued as normal.


After a time, we leave the hut, and as we do, it dissipates, leaving the plant life and ground undisturbed, as if it was just an illusion.


We followed Coyotl through the thick jungle, Ina and Red cut down vines with machetes, then Manu followed, then me, and bringing up the rear was Grey.


I looked around the jungle as I stepped over an exposed root, aware of the many dangers that may come.


It was hot and damp. The treetop canopies filtered out much of the sunlight, shafts of light occasionally poked through, highlighting strange jug shaped plants that seemed to have stoppers. Brightly coloured frogs clung to fallen trees, and moss covered bones of the huge predators that had perished here.


“What are you doing?” an irritated, yet familiar voice sounded clearly.


A cold shiver ran down my spine. My thoughts went quiet. I halted my advance, looking around for the voice’s owner.


Grey hissed something to the others as I continue to scan the area.


“Is something the matter, Kai?” Manu asks, turning around, staring at me with a look of friendly concern.


My eyes continued to dart around, looking for any hint of a person behind the voice.


“Come on Kai. We better get a move on, we don’t want to get caught by any of the local wildlife.” Ina sighed, with a look of annoyance.


I breathed a sigh of relief. I was just hearing things, probably because I was still tired. I shook my head vigorously, and motioned to continue onwards.


As we continue our pace through the dense jungle, the light shafts were rarely seen, the dark greeting us as its guests. Strange animals whooped from above, signaling others of our intrusion in their home. The plants around us rustled every now and then, pairs of yellow eyes peering out, their owners obscured by the flora, and the chatter of birds followed.


“Aviraptors.” Ina spoke, noticing the same yellow eyes. “Small lizard-bird looking things.” he continued, gesturing to me and Grey to come close.


Grey raised itself as they continued to sliver behind. My body began to stiffen, as it did so, a posture that was prepared to attack, it felt threatening, so I knew it was working.


“We don’t have to worry about getting attacked by them.” Ina spoke, hacking down a large vine. “Too many of us for them to chance.” Ina said confidently, hacking another vine.


“So long as we stick together of course.” Grey hissed, urging me to move faster.


I sheepishly nodded, hurrying my pace, again careful not to trip on any roots or get caught on any vines. Imagining what Aviraptors looked like, and hoped that Ina was right.


As we continued trekking through the dark jungle, my mind began to drift as I stared at the jostling sword in Manu’s pack. I then recalled the dream I had with the disembodied voice. Get the sword back. the words echoed inside my head, until it was the second thought occupying my mind, the first being about the sword itself.


Hours went by as we continued to traverse the jungle, until the shafts of light returned, the trees weren’t so tightly packed together. The rustling, the yellow eyes and the chatter ceased to follow, no longer interested in us.


My shoulders relaxed, and my pace began to slow, as I saw the Red and Ina put away their machetes.


Seconds later, the voice returned, no longer irritated, but now angry, “You agreed to my demand. Now do it!” it shouted, malice in its voice.


I shook my head, and attempted to rid dismiss the voice again. “It was just a dream. It never happened.” I murmured, as I consoled myself.


“It was not a dream.” the voice replied bluntly.


My blood ran cold, my hands went clammy, my eyes darted about as the last word was said.


My eyes finally stopped searching over at Manu. I glared at him, scrutinising every subtle muscle movement he made, looking for anything off, reflecting what the voice said during the dream.


“How will I know when the entity has taken hold?” asking the voice under my breath.


“The person in question will be quite protective of the weapon, and not allow anyone to touch it, and will even cover it, so that only he can see it.” the voice explained.


My face became contorted with shock. “It has taken hold of Manu. Is there a way to stop its control over Manu?” I whisper.


“No.” the voice replied sadly.


“There must be something I can do to spare him of its hold?” I mumbled, as I stared at the sword poking out of Manu’s bag.


“The only way is for him to die.” the voice said regretful.


“What?” I shout, forgetting that only I could hear the voice.


Everyone halted in their tracks, and turned to me. The sudden outburst was met with different looks. Ina was pale, and angry. The Alethins looked on with minor curiosity. And Manu looked worried.


“Is something the matter?” Manu asked, a worried, searching look in his eyes.


Ina stomped over to me. “Do you want to attract a Macrodontosaurus to us?” Ina added, as he tried to quash the fury in his voice.


I looked down embarrassed, “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to shout. It seemed to just come out for some reason.” I lie, avoiding his gaze.


Everyone continued to stare at me for what felt like hours, until Coyotl came up to Ina.


“We need go now. Any longer, big chomper will find us.” he pleaded, resting his hand on Ina’s shoulder.


Ina turned to Coyotl and nodded, taking the lead and started to march again. Everyone followed suit.


“Kai. No more shouting.” Ina snapped, holding his finger up.


“He has to die?” I muttered, apprehensive to the grisly solution.


“Yes.” it stated. “He. Must. Die.” the voice spoke, a sternness to his tone.


“In any particular way?” I ask hushed, after a minute of silence.


“None. Any way is fine.” it said oddly calm. “It can be poisoning, a mauling, crushed under some rocks, or strangulation. But ideally, it won’t result in your own demise, and it won’t result in the loss of the sword.” it added, unconcerned.


“Wouldn’t it be good for the sword to be lost?” I question the voice.


“And risk its fall into the hands of another hapless victim?” it replied in shock.


I nod my head, understanding what the voice demanded of me.


I mulled over the possible methods of a solution, a way to solve a most grim puzzle. All the while I continued to follow behind my now corrupted friend, the sword poking out, mocking me as it controlled him.


My mind began running with ideas. I could draw the attention of one of the predatory dinosaurs, like the Macrodontosaurus or a Vanatosaurus, allowing it to kill Manu. Recalling Ina’s warning. But then the others and myself would be at risk of death as well. I deflate at the idea.


I might use some of the poison tree frogs to kill him while he eats? I wondered as I spied a family of bright blue and black frogs on a nearby tree. But I might accidentally get some on myself and taint my own food with it. I thought, looking at my bare hands.


I could kill him while he sleeps, and dump the body outside for the animals to drag off. I squinted at Manu. But the others might hear the deed and wake when I drag out the corpse, or leaving the shelter during the night. That's not even accounting for his sudden disappearance and my having the artifact in hand. I scratched my stubbled face in annoyance.


The jungle continued to get darker and darker, as night closed in. The animal calls, screech's and caws became louder as time passed.


Water drops began to fall, becoming more rapid with each passing second. Rain began soaking into my hair and clothes, as it did with everyone, with exception to Grey and Red, with their scaled bodies.


Soon the pitter patter of rain drowned nearly every other sound, save the squelching of mud under our boots, and Ina’s shouting.


“GREY! MAKE US SHELTER, NOW!” Ina screamed at of the top of his lungs.


I turned to the Alethin behind me, seeing them with a crystal in hand. And with a flick of their hand, the amulet glowed around their neck, and the same hut as before appears beside them.


Without a second thought, Manu and I clambered inside. Ina and Coyotl soon followed. The Alethins were in no rush, and so were last to enter. Mud tracks covered the floor, everyone's clothes were dripping wet. Waterlogged boots squelched with each step, the Alethins coiled themselves in their long tails.


I cursed as I took off my boots, emptying them of water, and then took off my socks, hanging them to dry.


I turned to Manu. He did much the same, and put the sword on his bed beside him, away from view.


I looked around the hut that Grey made. It resembled an aged wood hut. The planks were uneven and peeling. It surprised me that no water leaked through the gaps of the planks, despite having a cobbled together feel.


At that moment, while I laid on my bed, facing away from the others, I found the solution to the Manu problem.


“I know how to get the sword back!” I whisper excitedly.


“How so?” the voice inquired.


“I pay the Alethins to kill Manu!” I reply, giddy.


“What about Ina?” the voice questioned.


“Alethins will handle him as well.” I answer.


“And Coyotl?” the voice asked.


“We still need him to navigate out the jungle.” I whisper, looking over my shoulder.


“Then do it.” the voice commands coldly.


Later, after everyone was asleep, I carefully slid off my bed, snuck over to Red.


I prod it. “I want to hire you for a job.” I whispered as I continued to poke it. “Get up please!” I add.


A minute goes by of me prodding it, urging for it to get up, until it finally rose its head, its tongue whipping about.


“What is it you want?” it hissed angrily.


“I want to hire you, and your friend next to you for a job.” I whispered.


It stared at me for a second, uncoiling and gently tapping the Grey with the tip of its tail.


Grey stirred from its sleep, looking up at Red.


Red gestured to Grey and me to meet by the door.


The two slither to the exit, and I crept behind them.


Red and Grey turned to me as I reached the door, their cold, uncaring gaze upon my visage.


“What is the job?” Red inquired plainly.


“I want you two.” I point at them eagerly. “To kill Manu, and Ina.” I continue, directing my fingers to Manu and Ina, who slept peacefully.


They stared at me with expressionless eyes. I gulped and sweat as they continued to gaze upon my desperate self. Please accept, please accept, please accept. I repeated in my mind, hoping they won’t deny my offer, and hoping harder that they won’t just turn and tell Ina about this conversation.


“How much.” Grey asked.


Relief washed over me as I heard those words. My heart jumped with happiness. I could kiss these slimy, snake b******s with their moral flexibility.


“I will give you two.” I pause for effect, pointing at them. “Ina’s other half of the payment that he would get after going back to New Hanao. And eight Pele company stock bonds. Each worth double the money you would get from this expedition job.” I finish, madness in my eyes.


The two continue staring at me with the same, expressionless eyes. Then slither their ways to Ina, and Manu.


Red quietly draws its machete over Ina, and Grey splays its mouth open, fangs bared.


They held themselves above their prey, Red gripped the machete in both hands, and Grey’s fangs began dripping.


In an uncanny, almost rehearsed speed, Red runs the machete into Ina and Grey clamped its jaws around Manu’s neck.


A sharp gasp of air escaped from Ina’s lungs. Manu struggled, his hands grabbing at Grey’s head in panic.


Red twisted its blade inside Ina, then ripped it out, blood splattered the ceiling and wall, as Ina went limp.


Manu struggled desperately as Grey continues to inject him with its venom. Grey then let go when Manu started to convulse violently, foaming at the mouth.


After a minute of jerky movement, Manu lay dead.


I walked over to his bed, Grey slithered to the side, and for a time I look upon his corpse.


He is now free of the blade’s corruption. I thought, as I saw his skin became a sickly orange colour, his eyes were glassy and bloodshot, his limbs now limp, and lifeless. Puncture marks were set in his neck, with thin white goo oozing out.


I’m not sure how to feel about this. I think, tightening my fists, as I continued to stare at the corpse of my colleague, my friend.


“Rejoice my friend!” the voice laughed, as if ignorant of the event that just transpired. “You have freed your friend from being lost forever to the clutches of the evil entity that lies within the magnificent weapon.” the voice added giddily.


“What do we do with the weapon now?” I mumble joylessly.


“You take the weapon of course!” the voice replied, as if the answer was obvious.


“Won’t I get corrupted like Manu?” I whisper, bewilderment across my face.


“I will help prevent that from happening.” the voice spoke with a righteous tone.


I pull my eyes away from my friend to look at the sword wrapped in the thick cream coloured cloth.


“Go on, take it!” the voice insisted.


After seconds of hesitation, I reached for the sword. Gently lifting the weapon with both hands, as a parent would a baby from a crib.


I slowly unwrap the cloth around the grip, just enough to see the snake jaw guard with its gem teeth.


I fondle its pommel, feeling its scaly textured tail, writhing and twisting into the handle. I poked my fingers on the jutting amethyst fangs. I prick my finger and blood began to run.


I sucked my finger of blood, I continued to gaze at its head. Its shape so uncanny, I could swear that it blinked as my blood trickled into the jade snake’s mouth.


“What do we do with the other one?” Red hissed, startling me.


I turned to Coyotl. Unbelievably, he was peacefully asleep, unawares of what transpired.

“He is our guide.” I stated to both Alethins, as they stared at me with uncaring eyes. “So nothing will happen to him. You understand?” I whisper to them.


They both stared at me for a second, then nodded, to show they understood what I meant.


I looked at the bodies. It felt strange being around the bodies, and it didn’t help that they started to stink up the place.


I turn to the Alethins, who were hovering over where they would usually sleep. ”Take them outside please.” I spoke nasally as I pinched my nose. “But bring back anything you find in their pockets.” I add, as I brought Manu’s pack and the sword to my bed, and laying down beside it.


I was surrounded by a purple miasma similar to before, but it was somehow thinner. I had strained to see any shape that the sinister gas might obscure.


I started walking aimlessly within, still searching for anything, even the things I saw before, but hopefully not in ruin.


As I continued to wander for what felt like eternity, the voice was absent, unlike before. Then I saw a person shaped figure within the miasma. But who, or what it was, I wasn’t too sure.


But despite my apprehension, I ran to the mysterious figure.


When I was mere meters away from the figure, I tripped on something, and tumbled face first into the ground.


I rubbed my forehead as I sat up. I checked myself for any injuries. “Nothing.” I exhaled, content with my investigation.


While sitting on the ground, I turned to see what had tripped me.


I rubbed my eyes in disbelief, but there it was. A strange, purple skinned thing that sparkled, curled up on the floor, peaceful, as if it were asleep.


Its face lacked all but slits for eyes. It had long, purple, braided hair, that coiled like rope, but glistened like the finest silks. It wore a strange, violet coloured short-spun tunic, lilac coloured puffed up leggings, and wine coloured pointed shoes like a jester.


I drank up the oddness of the creature that lay before me for a time. I then proceeded to gently touch its arm.


It felt like a finely cut gem. Its skin was translucent, and shone seductively. I began to caress the thing further, when a hand suddenly grasped my shoulder tightly, causing pain to shoot through my nerves.


I pulled at the assailants arm, trying to free its grasp and end the pain. But it was a fruitless endeavor, as the arm was stiff like rock, and its grip was iron. I turned to meet my aggressor’s eyes.


A towering green figure clad in emerald green leather-like armour and mint coloured silks. Its helm was closed, and had long, cruel horns, the colour of sage, poking out of the helm’s sides. It’s gauntleted hand had shining, lime green studs, its grip was a vice, and becoming tighter every passing second.


Its eyes glowed like a bright green, raging fire, that cared not for what it devastated.


I moved my hand from the purple being, my gaze unbroken from the green warrior. As I pulled my hand away, the fires of the green warrior’s eyes grew intense. It let go of my shoulder, and instead clamping its hand down on my wrist.


“Let go!” I cried out desperately, trying to pry off its fingers.


With its unyielding grip, it forces my hand to touch the purple being. I try to pull away, but that only served to crush my wrist as it continued to force my hand to the purple beings face.


After seconds of futile struggling in the monsterous grip of the green warrior, I gave up, allowing myself to touch the purple being’s face.


The slits widen, revealing a pair of purple fires flickering gently.


I shot up from bed in a cold sweat, panting heavily, looking at the hand the green warrior was holding.


It had no bruising. I could move it without waves pain running through my body. It was completely intact.


I breathed a sigh of relief, sleepily scanning the contents of the room.


The bed where Ina slept had a small, rip where the machete entered, a blood stain on it. Manu’s bed was messy, the sheets strewn across the place. Red and Grey were coiled up in their swampy beds, resting peacefully. And Coyotl’s bed was empty.


“S**t!” I shout, startling the Alethins awake. I jumped from my bed, picking up the Jade carved sword, and rushed to where Coyotl slept.


The Alethins rose from their sleep, and were slow and groggy.


“Why do you curse, Employer.” Grey questioned, rubbing its fangs lightly.


I snapped my eyes to them, a fury building up inside me. “Curse?” I say with as much venom I could muster. “I ‘curse’ because the only person that can navigate us back to port, without incident, is gone!” I shouted, my voice became shrill and desperate.


I panted in anger, furious with the situation, they both stared at me, as indifferent as they were the night before.


“We will see you outside.” Red said flippantly.


And with that, they slither outside, taking their equipment into the jungle with them.


“Are you okay with that?” the voice asked concerned.


“With what?” I question angrily.


“With the way they are treating you.” the voice answered.


“It’s fine.” I said, trying to stay calm.


“Is it because you trust them?” the voice sounded incredulous. “Because you cannot trust a person who would so easily kill another for the promise of money.” it added, continuing to berate me. “For when it comes down to it, they will leave you to die, if it meant they earn ten times what you promise them.” it ended, accusatory.


I opened my mouth for a moment, but I caught myself before I replied. Thinking about what the voice just said.


Would they really leave me to die if it meant they gained more money? I grabbed my chin, looking at the blood stained bed that was Ina’s. No. I shook my head. That's not how Alethins work. I stared at where they slept. They would leave me to die if it meant that they survive for their next mating season. And that is almost guaranteed with me not being well versed in combat as them.


After awhile, I decided to leave the hut, the sword in my pack, strapped to my back. Outside I was met by both Alethins. The hut behind me faded away, and the Alethins begin to slither away. I jogged to catch up.


As the hours went by, I continued to think on my conversation with the voice. You cannot trust a person who would so easily kill another. The words banged around my head, as I glared into the backs of Grey and Red.


“Do it.” the voice whispered gently.


I shake my head in attempt to free these thoughts from my mind. Yet all it seemed to do was make my hand ache with anticipation at the thought.


“Just unwrap the sword, and use it.” the voice continued seductively.


Everything seemed to blur in my vision with exception of the Alethins before me.


“That’s right.” the voice trailed. “Just go up to them and go wild.” the voice continued.


I tear my sight from Red and Grey, only to realise I now held the sword in my hand, unwrapped, and shining beautifully.


I stopped where I stood. Staring at the blade lustfully, drinking up its impeccable form, pressing my thumb against its edge. Blood ran down the sword, making it shudder subtly.


The blood continued to run down the blade, till in reached the mouth that was the guard, the amethysts began to glow like fire.


“Good.” the voice said contently. “Now repeat this word, and this blade will be yours.” the voice said, clearing its throat.


I nod with bated breath, eager to hear what it says.


“Qiro.” the voice spoke, deeper and more powerful than before.


“Qiro!” I shout, uncaring of the madness building inside me.


The Alethins turned around, and slithered back to me.


They stopped as they saw a shorter, purple, transparent sword appearing in the air in front of me.


I grabbed the shorter blade with my offhand.


An energy foreign to me, surged throughout my tired body.


The long green sword shined greener than ever before, but it’s amethysts were now dull.


The Alethins looked upon me in awe. Their eyes betrayed wonder, like the first time they saw the sword, and I relished every second of it.


With a demonic vigor to my step, I bound my way with uncanny speed towards the Alethins.


I stopped in front of Grey first. I swung the green sword through the middle of its jaw, dividing it from its head. Then I swung the translucent purple sword through where the torso connected to its tail. The torso dropped to the ground, the tail writhed for a couple of seconds.


Red snapped out of its awestruck trance, pulling out its machete and musket, one in each hand.


I swiveled on the spot to face Red. I jumped up high, both swords over my head.


Red whipped its gaze to meet me, bracing itself with both weapons to block the overhead blow.


I swing both swords down as I fall atop Red, laughing madly as I do so.


The blades cleaved through the two handed defence, burying the blade through Red’s head, down to the middle of its torso.


The hands fell to its side limply, letting go of what remained of its weapons.


The body flopped to the ground, the two halves split, blood soaking into the dirt.


I panted for awhile. Looking at the carnage I brought. Splatters of blood covered me.


“You have done well.” the voice said proudly. “I suppose I should tell you what I am.” the voice added.


I stopped admiring my handy work, my body shaking in excitement. The curiosity overwhelmed me.


“I am Riven.” the voice announced. “Myself and my brother are the swords you wield now.” Riven continued, the sound of grim satisfaction ran through its tone.


My face darkened as I heard those words, looking upon the blood soaked hands that wielded the two brothers.


“And you, are ours now...” Riven continued with a sinister tone. “And forever.” Riven ended, laughing maniacally.


I was back in the green and purple miasma, now with various people roaming about lost, and disheartened.


My neck, wrists, and ankles felt unbearably heavy, rubbing them raw. I examined myself, finding shackles and a collar made of jade, and chains made of amethysts.


I tried pulling the restraints off with no success.


Looking closer at the people, I saw they were all people found natively in Lythos, some were Muns like Coyotl, the monkey-like Alouats, the fish-like Paran, and the bat-like Camazo. They all had the same restraints as me.


I was trapped.


There was no way out.


It tricked me, and now there is no going back.


“I’m sorry.” I said, as I slumped to the ground in despair. “I’m sorry.”

© 2018 Stumpy-JIm


Author's Note

Stumpy-JIm
Does the story flow well? Is it interesting? What could be improved? What age rating would this story be?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on August 2, 2018
Last Updated on August 2, 2018
Tags: Fantasy, Jungle, Magic, Dinosaurs

Author

Stumpy-JIm
Stumpy-JIm

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom



About
I enjoy writing stories like anyone else on this website. I am a recent graduate who found that they enjoyed writing, and have been writing ever since. more..