Love

Love

A Story by John King

    Red lines on the face of a field of fescue. Red grid of Radon Red. In evening dusk the dust rises and then falls soundless and insignificant as no living soul is in the field to choke and cough. There is no life moving in the fescue. Not a mouse or other vermin.
But there is death.
    The demon Furfur ascends to the field from a pit no person will ever find. He is the demon responsible for love between a man and a woman. All demons come to bring death, and love is death. Furfur looks upon the field which now grows dim in the night and lies a curse upon it, that all who enter it will fall in love.
    The next day, a boy of seventeen and a girl of sixteen enter the field running after each other in innocence. They fall on top of each other in the fescue. They lay there and the demon's curse brings them love. They have children, raise them, watch them leave, watch each other grow old, until the girl of sixteen is an old woman of seventy, standing of her husband, who died in the night.

© 2016 John King


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Deep. Dark. Very interesting concept here, John.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John King

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Clifford!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Added on September 20, 2016
Last Updated on September 20, 2016