Forever Forgotten Memories

Forever Forgotten Memories

A Story by Kita Minami

All she remembered was her name and that was it. She has no friends, no family. She doesn't even have home to live in. All she has is her ripped up green blanket and her rag of a dress. No one ever approached her because they knew something that she didn't. She never admitted it, but she actually wanted someone to accept her. She wanted a friend who never judged her before they even get to know her.

*~*

            Mr. Martin took me in when everyone hated me. I had no idea why. Then I was told my some kids that my parents were bad people. I didn't believe them at first, but then, Mayor Cain told me, "Your parents told me that they were finding a cure. But when I went to see them, they were having another child and told me they didn't want you."
            After that, I loathed my parents. I hated them. They didn't want me. That's why they haven't come back to get me. I'm 16 now and I still haven't heard a single word from them. Not even where they are or how they're doing.
            I take the path around the village to reach the stream. I didn't want to get anything thrown at me again. I see my reflection in the flowing water and stare at that face. Is that me? Small ears, flat nose, rosy cheeks, brown eyes, pale lips, tan skin. I splash the reflection away and washed my face. I got up and headed towards the village. I was too tired to take the long way around.
            Koiochi village is a small village. Poor too. All of the houses were made out of wood except for the mayor’s building, which has a periwinkle coat of paint on the outer walls. There were a lot of trees which give me a peaceful feeling. Many animals run through our village but some of them are slaughtered for food. Soft winds whisper to our village and warn us about storms to come.  The enormous Kililona Mountains surround the boundary of our village. It got its name because they are almost impossible to get over and a lot of people who are to try have gotten killed. 
I enter the village and then something surprised me. A young boy about the age of six with messy brown hair ran up to me and grabbed my hand. He started pulling me to what seemed to be his house. Still shocked, I follow him into the worn-down building. It was pitch black and I couldn’t see a single thing. The boy stopped pulling and let go of my hand. “Wait,” I called.
Suddenly, the whole room was illuminated by a single candle. “Mayleen,” said the woman sitting across the table. I stood there frozen and just kept staring at her. Beside the woman sat a man with a bushy brown beard. The boy ran and sat down in between the man and the woman. The mother cleared her throat and began again. “Mayleen, please sit down. There is something I need to tell you.”
I decided to listen to what she said and sat down across from them. This was the family that threw raw eggs at me last week! Why would this family even want me to be in the same room as them? Are they finally going to apologize? Impossible. They never apologized before. Why would they now?
"I over heard the mayor talking to his head guard yesterday. He wants to kill you!” she said with her eyes wide open.
I couldn’t believe what she was saying. “Mayor Cain has always been my friend! He would never say something like that. You’re a rotten liar! You’re tricking me aren’t you?”
The father put his hand up, signaling for me to calm down. I shut my mouth and the mother began talking again. “This was the exact conversation,”
~Flashback~
            “Natalie!” called the great Mayor of Koiochi Village. “Where are you? I need you here, pronto!” Mayor Cain was pacing in his room with an enormous bed and a grand chandelier hanging in the center.
            “I’m here, and don’t call me NATALIE! I told you to call me Nevin,” said the vampire.
Nevin was part of the Mayor’s security. He looked like your average Dracula. Pale white skin, a read vest over a white shirt, extremely puffy pants, and of course those tacky black and pointy shoes. But he did have some properties that made him a special vampire. His bat wings were the green color of someone’s barf and he had an afro with purple and white dots.
“That girl needs to be destroyed before her power gets out of control,” Cain was still pacing, “I should have killed her long ago. Now I can’t even get near her without feeling her telekinetic powers zapping my strength.” 
“Um, sir,” said the vampire.
“But before I knew it, she’s a full-grown teenager and sooner or later she’ll know about her powers and then,” the mayor kept on rambling on and on about the girl.
“Sir!” This time, Natalie screeched in the mayor’s ear.
“What! Can’t you see that I’m in the middle of something you imbecile?”
“What did you call me here for?”
“What?” It seemed like the mayor forgot the reason why. Then, “Oh, yes. I need you to do a job for me.” The vampire stood there waiting for his orders. “I need you to kill a girl”
Natalie put a sly grin on his face and said, “Why? Did she dump you?”
“No you good-for-nothing bat! Do you remember the incident that happened eight years ago?”
“Yes. Our two most powerful wizards were killed because the devil took them”
“That’s what you were supposed to believe.”
“What are you trying to say?” asked the confused vampire.
“This girl,” the mayor pulled out a picture of Mayleen, “is their daughter and she was the one who killed them.”
“What? You mean the two most powerful wizards in our nation were killed by a mere child?”
“Yes. When she was born, her parents already knew she had magical potential. But what they didn’t know was when she was eight, the power inside her took over her body and took their lives. I felt sorry for her and took her in. Scared that her powers might turn on me, I sealed them.”
 “So our great mayor was scared of a little girl?” the vampire snickered.
    "Shut your trap! You would have been too! She controlled the wind around her and took the living breath from her parents. Tell me Nevin, could you have taken the courage to approach her knowing she could do the same to you as she did her parents?"
    "No..." the vampire said, looking down at his feet.
    "Exactly. Tomorrow at night fall, go to her and kill her. And don’t hold back just because she's a girl."
            Natalie nodded his head and disappeared.
~End Flashback~
I just sat there, eyes wide open and full of shock. I got up and slowly left the house. The mother said something but I couldn't make it out because I was in such shock. Was she lying like I'd said? No. There was something deep down inside my gut that tells me that she isn't lying. I want to cry. I mean, I was betrayed by my only friend. But I couldn't. Not now. I ran as fast as I can. But where was I going?
Then, I remembered what the mother had told me. "Go pack your things and escape from this place. I know we didn't show it, but the people of this village actually care about you. They didn't want the mayor to kill them." A tear escapes my eye as I run as fast as I ever could towards Sappy.
    When I finally got there, I thought, What stuff do I have that I need to take? I look at my belongings a little longer. All that was there was my old blanket. I grab it and head deeper into the woods. My parents were killed by me? How come he never told me this? How come he never told me that I was dangerous? A thousand questions came to me but I couldn't think anymore. My head was about to explode! I looked up past the tall trees and saw the Kililona Mountains . That was my destination.
*~*
I’m very hungry and I’m not even close to where I wanted to be. My stomach was growling really loudly and I knelt down on the cold floor. Before passing out, I remembered seeing someone with big green eyes approaching me.
*~*
A shadow hovered over me but I was too mesmerized by the food to turn around. The shadow moved as it giggled at my messy eating. “Humans are so fun to watch,” said a high pitch voice.
I turned around to see a short little girl with pointy ears and green hair down to her knees that were tied into two braids. She also had green eyes… green eyes! “Were you the person I saw?” I asked.
The girl nodded and let out another giggle. A very cute giggle. I know it was bad manners, but I turned back to my food and continue scarfing down everything.  “So, how do you like our food?”
“Grood” I say, in the middle of chewing a chicken leg.
“Yes! Mama would be so glad to hear that. She thought that you wouldn’t like elf food.”
“Mm?” I didn’t know that elves live in this forest. “This food is delicious. Can you tell your mama thank you for me?” I say when I finally finished eating.
“Sure. Now let’s go outside. Mama says it’s good to move around once you eat. You were so hungry that you doubled over right when I was about to say hi. By the way, my name is Kara.” She laughed her little giggle again and skipped ahead of me.
“Wait for me!” I called after her.
She stops in front of a hut in the shape of a coconut and goes inside. I fallow her in. I thought that I'd have to duck my head but the doorway was pretty tall. I always thought that elves were short people. Kind of like dwarfs or gnomes or something. I entered a very bright room illuminated with tiny green lights everywhere. There was an elf about 6 feet tall sitting on a big throne in the center. The building was bigger than I thought it would be. It looked so small from the outside.
"The Lord wants to talk to you," said the Kara.
"L-l-l-lord?" I stuttered. "Y-you mean the leader of the elves?"
"What other lord is there?"
"I don't know..." I look down at my feet but something is pulling my face up. I stare into the emerald eyes the Elf Lord. And surprisingly, he's looking back at me. His face stretched as he grinned.
"Why, it's very nice to meet you Ms. Cross."
"H-how do you know m-my name?" being in the presence of a lord made me extremely nervous and I couldn't stop stuttering.
"I happened to know your mother in the olden days. We actually went out."
"W-what?" I didn't know what was weirder. The fact that he and my mom went out, or the fact that a guy of his age would even talk about that so happily.
"You can't stay here for long. The mayor of Koiochi Village is furious that he couldn't find you and now Natalie is coming after you."
"Natalie?" I asked
"He is the mayor's guard."
"Wait. Did you just say 'he'? You mean Natalie is a BOY?"
"Yes," he said with a chuckle, "Everyone also calls him Nevin though because they fear him."
"Can't you just transport me out of here with your magical powers or something?" I was starting to act like my old self again.
"You can't just say it like that," whispered Kara, "you need to be more polite"
I whispered a quick "ok" back to her and said, "Can you get me out of here, please?"
The Elf Lord let out a low laugh that sounded like the rumble before an earthquake. "No, no, no. I may look hgh and mighty, but I can't do everything. The quickest way to the Kililona Mountains is through the Reddened Falls . I'm sure Kara knows where that place is, right?"
"Yes, my lord," she said quietly.
After that, we were shooed out of the coconut-hut and set off o the road again. At least this time, I have food and some company.
*~*
As we were walking to the Reddened Falls , Kara and I talked a lot and learned some new things about each other. She was actually eight! Could you believe that? Well she did act like a kid when I was in her house... Maybe I'm just stupid.
"What are the Reddened Falls anyway?" I asked.
"It's a waterfall made out of blood," Kara said blankly.
A shiver ran down my spine. "You can't be serious can you? I mean. There's gotta be a lot of blood if there was a waterfall formed. When you come up with a joke, make sure it's realistic."
"But I am serious."
"Then where does all the blood come from?"
"Fallen solders from a battle that happened long ago."
"I'm lost. If it was from soldiers a long time ago, then there isn't more blood falling, right?"
"Let's sit down and let me tell you the whole story." She plops herself onto the dirt floor and I but my blanket down and sit on it. I didn't want to ruin the new clothes the Kara's mom made me. A long-sleeved white shirt made out of unicorn hair, and a green skirt made out of the elves' grass and special paste so that it won't look like a grass skirt. Her mom also gave a pin in the shape of fairy wings. She said it was for good luck. I neatly tied my hair up and pit the pin in it and straighten out my skirt.
"I never knew you were such a girly girl. You have a pretty face, too. When I first saw you, you looked like you were totally emo, a loner." Kara is so sweet, but sometimes I just wanna punch in the face.  But she's only a kid so I let it slide. She was still wearing her little white dress with cute little green flowers on it.
She cleared her throat and began the story. "About a million years ago... or was it a thousand? I forget." I roll my eyes. "Anyway, a long time ago, there was a very powerful demon on the loose. A very strong kingdom whose name I forgot managed to tame the demon somehow and started a war with the Koiochi Kingdom . And, yes, Koiochi used to be a kingdom. Well while they were fighting, the demon from the other kingdom lost control. It used telekinesis or something and completely messed up everyone's brain. My papa told me that he kept on seeing momma being stabbed. He told me that it was all an illusion but it felt really real to him. I was only four when he told me this but it scared the grasses soul out of me. The demon took the shape of a wolf but it was actually this purple shadow. It turned everyone against each other with its terrible illusions and once everyone in sight was destroyed from the inside out, the demon laid a curse on everyone. 'You shall fight, and fight forever! You shall never find peace in your pitiful little lives even after your deaths.' I think that's what it said."
"So even at this very moment, they are still fighting up there?"
"Yup"
"How does your dad know about the fight? Was he there?"
"No, of course not, silly! My papa has the same powers as the Lord. He can see visions and stuff. They're actually cousins."
"So where's your dad now?"
"The Lord sent him to spy on Mr. Cain's actions."
"So is the demon still alive?"
"Nope. It got killed."
"How?"
"A powerful wizard casted a spell and the demon just went poof," Kara did a clapping motion with her hands and puffed out her cheeks.
"And what happened to the wizard?"
"He is now Lord of the elves"
"Wait, what?!?!" This little girl is so confusing! Suddenly, she stands up, not answering my question.
"Come on! We need to hurry if you want to get out of here quickly."
I cuss under my breath as I get our things and follow her. My head begins to hurt as we walk further and further. I'm about to ask to sit down when I see a shadow hover above me. It was a man with pine green bat wings. Weird. "I finally found you. Ms. Cross," he said.
"How do you know my name?" That was the only question I managed to think. I felt like I was seriously gonna fall over again.
"I need to know my victim's faces," he hissed.
"Wha?" I thought of another one.
"Now. You. Die!" He lunged towards me with his sword thrusted forward.
I close my eyes shut, waiting to die. No one wanted me in this world anyway, so why fight back? I'm sorry I ever doubted my parents, I'm sorry for ever thinking of Cain Martin as a friend, and lastly, I'm sorry I was ever born.
"You stupid brat!" I heard, and then I opened my eyes. I was alive? I couldn't believe it. But why? Then I realized what happened. In front of me, I saw Kara in a defensive stance. I peeked over her shoulder and saw her hands clasping the sword, which was barely touching her chest. She was a strong little elf.
"You keep away from my friend!" she shouted and pushed the sword to the side, making him fall to the ground.
I couldn't really see his hair before, but now that he was right next to my feet, I could see it perfectly! He had this really big afro that was purple with cute little yellow polka dots! It looks so fluffy! I want to touch it so bad. His face was facing the ground anyway so he must be unconscious. I squat down and begin poking his hair. >poink< >poink< >poink<. It wobbled really weird.
"NO!" Kara shouted.
But it was too late. He grabbed my hand and then got up. "I've got you now, you little demon."
"Demon?" 
"I guess the old hag didn't hear our whole conversation. Have you heard about the great demon that destroyed our kingdom's army?"
I nod my head.
"The demon was sealed away, not to be of any harm to us again. But 16 years ago, it escaped. And entered a newborn child's body. That child is you."
My eyes widened in horror.
"No one knew that you had the demon was inside you. They never suspected a thing. Mayor Cain tried to tell them but they wouldn't believe him. They deserved to die."
That was far enough. I bit his hairy hand and broke free. I turned and saw Kara on the ground, horror in her eyes. I would blame here. If I knew I was a demon, I'd want to stay as far away from me as possible. I took a step back, realizing that I might lose a friend I just made not too long ago.
Then, I felt something hard hit my head. Thousands of memories rushed back into my head. I remembered the gentle touch of my mother’s hands as she comforted me when I cried. I remembered my father’s deep laugh when he slipped and fell off the ladder. Then, one last memory came to me before I blacked out.
*~*
“…leen… Mayleen…” I could feel someone shaking me aggressively. I groan as I pull my hand up to feel my head and then my face. I was crying. Crying from that last memory. The memory of my parents trying to seal the demon inside, and dying in the process. Was I dead? I don’t think so, because I could hear Kara’s voice perfectly. I flap my eyes open and saw Kara’s eyes just inches away from mine. “Oh, Mayleen,” she said as she gave me a tight bear hug.
What happened? How come I was still alive? How come Kara was still alive? I thought that vampire man was going to kill us. Speaking of him, where is he? I turned and looked at my surroundings. My eyes focused on a tree that was snapped in half and in it was the man. My eyes widened. “What happened?” I finally managed to say.
“You don’t remember? When that freaky guy hit you with his sword, you dropped on the ground. He was gonna hit me too but then he just fell over too and started yelling. I had no idea what was going on. It was like he sniffed the ginlor flowers or something. He was running all around me screaming ‘Make it stop! Make it stop!’”
She flung her arms around, showing me what he did. She stopped and continued, “He kneeled down in front of me and was begging for mercy! Could you believe that? But at that time I was so scared that I just stared at him. I was really worried about you so I looked over him. There was this wolf thing that was standing on top of you. Then I thought, ‘is that the wolf that the vampire was talking about?’ and then I answered myself and said ‘yes’
The demon? That was inside me? I decided to not talk and let her continue. “Then that guy turned around and saw it too and then he screamed and peed his pants! I was about to pee in mine too but I guess the fact that you're my friend made me less scared. The next thing I know, you were standing up and floating in the air and holding his throat. Your eyes were a really scary purple color and they were glowing. Then something black and shiny was coming out of his mouth and then it went into yours. It didn't have a special shape. It looked like a black blob and it gave me chills.
Something made me feel sick. There was something very bad in my mouth I wanted to throw up so badly. "His soul" I mumbled.
"What?"
"That black blob you saw. I think it was his soul."
She made a sour look on her face and said, "That is so nasty!" 
"Anyway, what happened after that?"
"You threw him into that tree and then fell over again."
"Aren't you scared of me now?"
"I was at first. But now I think it's really cool that you have a demon inside you."
"It could come out again and kill you."
"I guess it could but I know that when it overpowers you, the real you would still be inside. If I can believe that, then you will always be my friend and I will never be afraid of you."
I sat up. I swear I was about to cry again. Kara helped me stand and we began walking again. My clothes were really dirty now and my head still hurt. Now that I know that know the complete truth, I can hear the demon's howl inside my head. I started to hear warrior's screaming, too. I kneel over and clutch my head in pain.
"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Kara asked as she kneels down besides me.
"I'm okay. My head just hurts a lot. I still need some time to suck in all that happened before."
"Oh, okay. Do you want to stop right now? The Falls is about another quarter mile walk. I can hear the blood. But we can stop now if you want."
"No, I'm fine. I think I can make it." This girl worries way too much. I slowly get up, supporting myself on Kara, and we continue walking. I finally hear the sound of the Falls too and it's driving me nuts! I didn't want Kara to worry so I try and hide my pain buy not looking at her. We reach the bottom of the Reddened Falls and sure enough, the water was actually blood. The actual waterfall (or should I say bloodfall) was ginormous! I would look up to see the top of the bloodfall but my head hurts too much to move.
"Come one, let's get to the top. We need to hurry. The Mayor might have sent someone else to come after you." She grabbed my arm and went forward.
"I thought we were supposed to go through the Reddened Falls. Not over them."
"There's a tunnel at the top of the Falls that leads straight to the Kililona Mountains."
"But..." I trailed off.
"You're worried about the cursed soldiers aren't you? Don't worry about it. Since you pretty much are the demon that led them to their demise, they might be afraid of you know."

We reach the top of the Falls and I see hundreds of transparent figures. 

Still afraid, I slowly walk forward. But for once, I was the one pulling on Kara. I looked back and saw that she was frozen solid. I wave my hand over her ayes and she doesn’t even flinch.

“Kara, Kara…” I whisper.

“Hmm?” she says as she shakes her head. “I hear the pleas of those soldiers. I want to help him but there’s nothing I can do. Their voices are begging me to do something but I can’t. I’m not the wizard from all those years ago.” She wasn’t talking to me anymore. She was looking at the shapes, “Stop it! I can’t use magic like the Lord. Stop saying my name!” 

I shake her like she did you me and said, “Snap out of it! You don’t need to do anything for them.”

“But I want to help! They all sound so hurt!” she was crying now.
I slapped her right across the face. I didn’t care that she was only half my age.
“I told you to snap out of it! The more you fall into their trap, the more vulnerable your soul will be.” I couldn’t believe what I was saying myself. I guess now that my memories are back, I know a lot more things about our world and it's magical side.
I bravely walk forward towards those people. I couldn't see what they were wearing so I had no clue who was on who's side. I left Kara where she was standing and began walking closer to the fight. Why hadn't the Elf Lord come and lift the curse? It is you who must free these soldiers from their fate of forever being at war with eachother... Who was that just now? The voice sounded so familiar, so soft and gentle. Mom? It couldn't be. I recalled my old memories and that was the only solution I could come up with. I gain a little more courage as I stand firm with two of those transparent soldiers fighting in front of me.
"Um, exuse me. Can you please stop fighting?" They ignored my and kept on fighting. "My mom said that I was supposed to stop you so can we just make a truce and stop fighting?" Nothing. "I was the demon that cursed you a hundred thousand or so years ago!" I heard no more clinging of swords.
I guess they were looking at mme now. Not just the two I was skeaking two, but the whole battle field. I felt someone creeping up behind me but I was too scared to turn around. Was one of the soldiers going to attack me? I stare straight ahead. Then I felt familier hands mine and I blew a sigh of relief. I was glad that Kara was going to help me.
I closed my eyes and concentrated on the demon inside me. I am now the demon's new owner so it will have to listen to me.
What is it, you human?
I need you to lift this curse that you layed on them. I thought back at the demon.
And why should I do that?
If you don't I will kill myself and you along with me.
If you die, I will just go to another body, he snickered.
I bet yu the Lord of the Elves can deal with you.
That old coot? He has died a long time ago.
He is still alive. I guess you were still trapped inside me while we were at the Elves Kingdom.
No. No human can live that long.
But he is an elf. You are so stupid for a demon that is telekanetic.
The demon kept quiet for a second and then I suddenly felt light headed. I fell backwards and was caught in time by Kara. She layed my down on the dirt and my eyes closed shut as I see the demon standing before me.
*~*
"What did I miss this time?" I asked when I woke up at Kara's house.
"The demon said some magic words and the creepy invisible things were gone. Poof! It was really cool to watch. One by one, the figures dissapeared and turned into purple dust. The Reddened Falls isn't so red anymore. It's actually water now! And Mama says that you can live with us now. Actually, the Lord suggested that we take you in because you have nowhere lse to go." The door opens and a cute black wolf pup walks in. "Where have you been Fufu?"
"To kill a certain someone"
The wolf talked. That wolf talked! Was I still unconcious? Is there something wrong with me?
Kara saw my shocked expression and said, "This is the demon inside you. He figured out a way so that he can alk around without you knowing. His name is Fufu."
"Okay? But why did you name im Fufu?"
"My mother gave me that name" Fufu said as he glared at me. I didn't know demons had mothers.
"Who did you kill?" I regretted the question as soon as I asked it.
"Your little mayor" he said with a wide grin across his puny face. "I killed him because he sealed me away again after I managed to break free from your thick skull" I feel slightly offended my that. He ignored me and continued talking, "I've been wanting to kill him for eight long years and since I had time, I killed him."
"Fufu," I asked.
"What do you want now?"
"Thank you for killing that jerk."
"Why, you're welcome," he said as he jumped onto my lap.
*~*
From that day onward, Fufu, Kara, and I were best friends for life! Together, we helped the Elf Kingdom fight her enemies and restore other fallen kingdoms like Koiochi. The lady who had told me about Cain's evil plan became my adoptive mother and her little boy went to trin to become a knight for the new Kiochi Kingdom. Everyone was happy. I still miss my real parents but I can be happy with the life that I have now. And I am. 
 
THE END

© 2009 Kita Minami


Author's Note

Kita Minami
This is a story I wrote for my english class. I have no clue what my grade is yet. It would have had some more detail but i had to keep under 10 pages (double spaced). heheh... i went to 14... well, i still hope to get an A XD

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story is outstanding. The description of the village, the mountain and the many events in this chapter. I like the characters you create. The story was written with very great skill. I like the story. It was a long story. Could break into chapters. But I could not stop reading this amazing story. It deserved the best grade possible.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 8, 2009

Author

Kita Minami
Kita Minami

Vietnam



About
Hmm... I'm asian and i LOVE being outdoors and haning with my friends. My favorite color is white and I guess you can say I'm OBSESSED with anime and manga. I'm a fun-loving girl who wants to be with .. more..

Writing