My great-grandma

My great-grandma

A Story by Knydd
"

A description of what I feel, sense and observe when I come to visit my great-grandma, 96 years old.

"
After 2 and a half hour of driving in our blue Mercedes benz we arrive in the quiet and desserted village where my great-grandma lives.
My father says he feels like time doesn't pass here, but he means it in a good way.
Our kind of busy lives in the capital seems so stressful compared to what we experience when we're here.
The working possibilities here are few, most people who lives here must work in a bigger town a bit away.
My mom opens the squeaking door and we step in, great-grandma meets us inside. Her back is obnoxiously bent and she moves rather unstablishly but aside from that she looks healthy, but really outworn and tired.
Her hair is white and fluffy, shaped like an afro, bobbish thing on her head and her skin is folded in beautiful wrinkles that shows how much she has lived.
Her voice that greets us is cracky and strained but it makes me feel safe and it's perfect for storytelling.
Dinner is of course ready on the table in her little kitchen, like always but I can't help but to think of how much longer it will be.
My mom is very worried about her, she thinks that it's to much for her to take care of a big household, with a grand garden all by herself. Since we, and other relations lives in the capital she doesn't often get visits and therefor she can't get the help (she won't admit) that she needs.
I'm also worried, that she will get moved to a caretaking place for older people and slowly drift away. She's nothing without her beautiful bright yellow house, with her beloved furniture and dear memories. Without it I don't think she will stay alive for long.
Of course she has some friendly neighbors who's willing to help her with some gardening and leaving of books from the librarie but I'm afraid it's just not enough.
I just hope the best for her and I look up to her, wishing I could get to live as long as her.

This is for you beloved great-grandma.

© 2017 Knydd


Author's Note

Knydd
My first short story. Note that English is not my native language so therefore the grammar might be questionable.

Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! It looks like an escape to a place where we want to feel secure from this fast moving world. I love the way you care about your great grandmother and yes its the bitter truth of the society and our greed of moving with the world that we just can't stop to a place with people we want to live our life with. But life is all about moving. It's a beautiful piece and wishes to your family. And if it's your story I wish your great grandmom a long and happy life! :)

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
1 Review
Added on August 5, 2017
Last Updated on August 5, 2017
Tags: s

Author

Knydd
Knydd

Stockholm, Sweden



About
I think I'd like to call myself a writer, but I'm not sure if I live up to that title. I'll just see what the future has in store for me and my writing. more..