Light

Light

A Story by Koiel
"

He gives her light

"

Light

 

               The sky was dark in her eyes.  It was night now, so it’d make sense.  But she was blind of the moon, and its lover, the sun, was always asleep.  Others saw things for what they were.  They could see the sun and the moon and the bright burning gasses at night.  But to her, it was always dark.  The stars had all burnt out; the sky was filled with dead light bulbs and busted glass.  “Don’t look up,” she was told, “or a shard might land in your eye.  And God forbid anybody see a tear fall from your bleeding eye.”

 

               She laid there in the grass, her long curls laced with dew.  The fabric that fell so beautifully around her body was dirty now; patches of mud and green stains of flora decorated her long sun dress.  Funny, she thought, that she would wear such an item, considering her mental state.  Nothing was sunny to her. 

 

               The night air was cold.  It licked her face and caught in her tangled hair.  Not that she cared.

 

               She stared up at the blank, black sky.  Nobody was around.  She could cry now if she wanted to.  Nobody would hear her pathetic whimpers, nobody would see the stains on her cheeks.  She closed her eyes and reached out her arms, stretched out her fingers, and fell. 

                                                                          ˜

               She turned her head lazily and looked at him.  He was there, just where she imagined him.  He was looking up at the sky.  She smiled at him.

               “Hey,” she said quietly.  He peered over at her and gave her a smile in return for hers.

               “There she is.” He spoke slowly, reaching for her cheek.  His hand landed softly on her skin.  Something stirred deep inside her chest.   He moved his thumb back and forth under her eye, smearing the already smeared makeup on her pink cheeks into oblivion. 

 

               “I missed you…”

 

“I missed you too, baby girl..”  He turned away from her and pointed up at the sky.  She followed his finger.  “You see that?”

 

“See what?”  He nodded, and the sky opened.  The sun broke valiantly through the black stained glass.  The glass started to fall, everything black and colorless rained around the two of them.  She squinted and turned away, waiting for her eyes to focus.  She wasn’t scared; he’d done this for her before.  She looked at him as her eyes settled. 

 

“The sun,” she squeaked. 

 

“Yes,” he said.  “We are both under that same sun.  Look up.”  She did as he said, and moved her face towards the light.  The wind wasn’t cold, it was cool.  The sun warmed her freezing skin, and her fear and sorrow melted away.  She saw the trees grow, the flowers bloomed.  Her dress was clean and blue, like the sky.  Oh, the sky!  How it blue it was in her eyes.  She felt her body fill with warmth.  Something deep inside her shifted completely, and she smiled fully. 

 

He looked at her and sighed calmly, a smile on his face.  “Whenever you don’t feel me, look up.  That sun will be there.  We both live under that sun.  If not, the moon will be there, and we both sleep under that same moon.  And if you see nothing,” he lowered his voice and moved himself close to her body.  Her eyes were still fixated on the sky; it had been so long since she’d seen light, it had her mesmerized; but she heard his voice and felt him move closer.  He moved his face in to her neck and spoke tenderly, “If you see nothing, just close your eyes.  You’ll see me there.”  Something deep inside her exploded, emitting waves of light and warmth and happiness from her chest.  She groped for his hand, and he took her hand in his.  He kissed her neck, and moved his face up to hers and kissed her lips. His mouth cushioned hers.  She held on to his had tightly, not daring to let go.

                                                              ˜

She peeled her eyelids away from each other and looked up.  It was night, so it was dark.  She looked over to where he was in her mind.  He was gone.  She turned her hand and opened her palm.  His hand wasn’t in hers.  All that was left was the promise ring, elegantly wrapped around her finger.

 

It was still dark…  But the stars were back.  She let out a slow, shaky breath.  And she cried.  And when she was done, she smiled.  She laughed, and she prayed.  And she felt him.  

© 2017 Koiel


Author's Note

Koiel
Say what you think

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is such a magnificent piece. "Light" can be interpreted in so many ways. It can be given to us to see things, to illuminate the environment around us. Light can also be used to guide us. Light is often used in a positive context too. I find it amazing how the shards of dark sky break when she comes in contact with the guy. It's like, he becomes a source or battery for the light?

I really had to re-read your story/chapter again in different bits to fully appreciate how it all comes together. One part that really makes me smile is the part where he shares with her how they live and exist under the same sun and moon. I smile because it's so lovely but true. I'm sure somewhere out there he longs to take her hand soon and be the one for her finally.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Koiel

7 Years Ago

You write well, even just for reviews. You should write some on here, too. .. read more
Retro_Wave

7 Years Ago

Oh don't worry, I will lol. I wrote a poem. It's pretty pre-school but I tried



Reviews

This is such a magnificent piece. "Light" can be interpreted in so many ways. It can be given to us to see things, to illuminate the environment around us. Light can also be used to guide us. Light is often used in a positive context too. I find it amazing how the shards of dark sky break when she comes in contact with the guy. It's like, he becomes a source or battery for the light?

I really had to re-read your story/chapter again in different bits to fully appreciate how it all comes together. One part that really makes me smile is the part where he shares with her how they live and exist under the same sun and moon. I smile because it's so lovely but true. I'm sure somewhere out there he longs to take her hand soon and be the one for her finally.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Koiel

7 Years Ago

You write well, even just for reviews. You should write some on here, too. .. read more
Retro_Wave

7 Years Ago

Oh don't worry, I will lol. I wrote a poem. It's pretty pre-school but I tried

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 3, 2017
Last Updated on April 3, 2017
Tags: beautiful, lovely, engaging, love, romance, beauty, pretty, faith, powerful, thoughts

Author

Koiel
Koiel

About
~I'm lost~ ~Oblivious to the Obvious~ ~I'm waiting for you~ more..

Writing
Broken Stem Broken Stem

A Poem by Koiel


Take Me Take Me

A Poem by Koiel