Niniane

Niniane

A Story by Catala
"

Part of the Veritas Confidante Line.

"

She walked carefully through the wooded area, knowing the danger a silent forest could mean, also knowing the failure it could bring to a young huntress such as herself. She recalled stories from before she was Laden, of mystical creatures that could grant riches beyond human means, but which always came with a horrid cost. She shrugged the memories from her self and pulling an arrow from her quiver notched it, ever ready for attack.

Legends were things for babes, children with no brains in their heads to know any different. Once Laden you were supposed to leave those tales behind until you were Burdened and could pass them on. There must be a spell upon this wood to recall such memories. What was it that haunted the trees? It was almost as if her soul could feel them calling to her. Her bare feet felt warm against the cold fallen leaves she moved across and as she looked behind her she found them burnt and charred, a trail of smoldering foliage in her wake.

She sought the name of the creature from the tales of youth, She remembered words of white smooth skin, the envy of all brides, and a singular curved horn with jewels surrounding the base. It was a dream for artisans everywhere, it's silver hair the finest of metal you could find, able to be smelted, or threaded for any use.

"Unicorn." She rolled the word around her mouth repeating it into the still silent air.When laughter rang out around her, as if releasing from the bark of the trees themselves, she turned wearily in circles her arrow showing the path of her eye.

"There be no unicorn here lass, Not whimsy little deer with a tiny stubby horn, OH no." Her eyes widened as her view was consumed by the sight of a pure white dragon, with soft brushed leather for his hide. From the base of his skull flowed silver strands down to the ground woven with pearls and diamonds into large plaits. She gasped with realization as she saw from between his eyes, at the bridge of his snout, a large horn, a pole arm by human standards, gleaming like mother of pearl, with rubies set in gold at it's base. His mouth split into a lopsided grin revealing diamond teeth both razor sharp and indestructible.

He slowly lowered himself to the wooded floor and let a small puff of air blast the grime from her skin. She trembled but stood with feet firmly planted, knowing the arrow trained on him would never strike it's mark before she died.

"Child," He rumbled "How would you fancy being the Lady of our clan?" a smaller smile played upon his lips as her head nodded with interest "You would of course have to relocate your home child," seeing it did not deter her he gathered her into his taloned paw "So lass, what do we call our new Lady?"

Her Blue eyes turned silver as she looked up into his own jade orbs "Niniane," she spoke, and with those words, the Lady of the Lake was born.

© 2008 Catala


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
Added on March 6, 2008

Author

Catala
Catala

LA



About
I'm uploading old poems, and trying to write some new, so, yes, massive uploads. sorry ehheh "What is plucked will grow again, What is slain lives on, What is stolen will remain What is gone .. more..

Writing
Wholly Me Wholly Me

A Poem by Catala