The Most Loyal Servant

The Most Loyal Servant

A Story by Kourtnie

He knelt before the king, his hand cuffed and his face bruised with guards on either side of him. In a demeaning, merciless voice the king bellowed, “How dare you defy me! You will be shown no mercy! Who do you think you are?!” “Lukas McDanielson,” replied the man.”Lukas McDanielson?! That name means nothing to me! You have stolen from me. Tell me, what compelled you?!” “You are too powerful, too greedy. I have no money to feed my dog nor myself. I just need one gold coin.” “You were my top servant. I trusted you, and you defied me for a DOG?!!” “You do not understand, sir!  That dog is all I have. He is my only companion! I can’t just let him die!” Now Lukas began to cry, for he realized what the king was going to do. “I want that dog dead!” roared the ring, ordering guards out of his palace to find the dog. Lukas was thrown into jail, helpless soon to be alone in the world. 

The guards returned, throwing a dead dog before the king. The king then ordered that Lukas be brought fourth to see his slaughtered companion. When Lukas came into the room he saw the dog and fell to his knees, crying. Through his hands a smile crept upon his face.They had slaughtered the wrong dog! However, to convince the king that his dog had been killed, he continued to cry uncontrollably. After the king had enough of watching the former servant cry, he dismissed him. Lukas was free to go home. The trip was long and weary and Lukas was close to starving, which made the trip even more unbearable. 

When he reached his home he found his loyal companion, a small bag of gold, and a note that read, “You’re welcome.”It was signed, Jacob. “Jacob” Thought Lukas, “Where do I know that name from?” Then it hit him. He saved Jacob from starvation many years ago.

It was a dark gloomy morning and Lukas was out with his dog, Sire, hunting rabbits when he saw Jacob. He was lying in a field, almost dead. Lukas ignored him at first, and continued to hunt. He shot four rabbits, and Sire caught one. The one Sire caught was no good for it was all torn up and ragged. Walking back to his home, Lukas saw that Jacob had crawled to the side of the road. Jacob’s eyes widened as Lukas passed, seeing his abundance of food. Lukas saw how skinny he was, how desperate he was, and decided to give him the bad rabbit and one good one. All Jacob could whisper in a weak voice was, “Thank You.” 

How he became a palace guard, no one knows, but Lukas was fortunate that he was. Now he realized that Jacob has paid an overdue debt, one that he never expected to be paid. He laid down with his dog by his side and a smile on his face and tears in his eyes, and eventually fell asleep.

© 2017 Kourtnie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on January 26, 2013
Last Updated on May 28, 2017

Author

Kourtnie
Kourtnie

San Antonio, TX



About
Just your average girl that has an undeniable passion for letting out her emotions through writing. more..

Writing
Little Girl Little Girl

A Poem by Kourtnie