Consumed

Consumed

A Story by Kyle Joaquim
"

A display of style with a subtle metaphor.

"

The warm glow of the streetlamp above flickers in sync with the cigarette between my lips, and a dull pastel glow shines from the pink neon behind me. A buzz emanates from the thick, colored tubes - fading into the roars of the old pickups and eighteen-wheelers gliding down the stretch of tar with only the signs to guide them, headlights stretching out into the night. In the distance, the road curves - moves with the land as if some long time ago it planted itself there, not unlike a tumbleweed would. My cracked lips are singed as my smoke expires, fervently devoured, consumed as my reality by your very being. I squash the embers of my killer with my boot, and look up. The stars are bright here.  

© 2016 Kyle Joaquim


Author's Note

Kyle Joaquim
When this was workshopped, nobody noticed the metaphor. It's really only present by a few words - I feel as though I should expand on it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on April 21, 2016
Last Updated on April 21, 2016
Tags: imagery, description, metaphor, symbolism, atmosphere

Author

Kyle Joaquim
Kyle Joaquim

Boston, MA



About
"I am the one thing in life I can control; I am inimitable, I am an original." - Aaron Burr, Hamilton Seventeen years old, from ( but still in ) Massachusetts. Aspiring writer, among other things. .. more..

Writing